Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 12:46 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Wow! I don't recall that store being there in 1971. In what year was Noland changed in that area?
Noland was changed around the same time the market was closed, another aspect of the Urban Renewal project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Did I hear someone cry "uncle!"? I do believe I have stumped the experts.

The Jackson Square Market opened on the NW corner of Walnut & Liberty about 1966. As I remember it it was a small market by today's standards, but carried all the usual lines of groceries. It was a newly built structure. I had cousins that lived nearby, and remember going there with them on errands for my aunt.

The market was closed and the building demolished in late 1972 or early 1973. As I recall it was still doing good business. Unfortunately it was the victim of the dreaded UR, Urban Renewal.

So the next mystery for you to solve is why would an agency tasked with revitalizing an area, close and demolish the only grocery store,
in a nearly new building, serving that area, ?
The Jackson Square Market sat on the NW corner of Liberty & Walnut, fronting Walnut. Unfortunately a decision made when planning the market sealed its fate. The building was placed up to the sidewalk, giving it a pedestrian friendly atmosphere. Parking was on the west and north sides.

One of the "enhancements" of UR that was supposed to help the Square was a one-way loop around the business district, running counter-clockwise. It traversed Walnut, Memorial Drive (old Noland), White Oak, and Spring. Rather than helping the Square it just made it easier to avoid it.

The Jackson Square Market was in the way of the much-widened road, and thus doomed. I think Noland Road Thriftway may have had the same issue, but at least it was a much older and run-down building.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:57 PM

908 posts, read 725,813 times
Quote:
The Jackson Square Market sat on the NW corner of Liberty & Walnut, fronting Walnut. Unfortunately a decision made when planning the market sealed its fate. The building was placed up to the sidewalk, giving it a pedestrian friendly atmosphere. Parking was on the west and north sides.

One of the "enhancements" of UR that was supposed to help the Square was a one-way loop around the business district, running counter-clockwise. It traversed Walnut, Memorial Drive (old Noland), White Oak, and Spring. Rather than helping the Square it just made it easier to avoid it.

The Jackson Square Market was in the way of the much-widened road, and thus doomed. I think Noland Road Thriftway may have had the same issue, but at least it was a much older and run-down building.
Wow! Again, no recollection at all. *sigh*

Old 12-31-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Wow! Again, no recollection at all. *sigh*
Isn't that why you keep me around???

Old 12-31-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Isn't that why you keep me around???
Well, that would certainly be one reason.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:17 PM

In case some of you won't be awake later, or perhaps will be unable to read, I'll get this out of the way-

Happy New Year!

Old 12-31-2014, 07:13 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
In case some of you won't be awake later, or perhaps will be unable to read, I'll get this out of the way-

Happy New Year!
Sameish to youse.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Happy New Year!

I don't think this water will impair my reading ability, but....

Happy New Year to everyone. May 2015 be filled with many blessings!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:20 AM

25 posts, read 24,293 times
Happy New Year everyone!
I stumbled across this yesterday and was wondering if anyone had any additional info on this place?

Old 01-01-2015, 07:50 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indepmo View Post
Happy New Year everyone!
I stumbled across this yesterday and was wondering if anyone had any additional info on this place?

Maybe swinging had a different definition back then.

I don't have any recollection of the place.

At that point in time I was working at Charlie's US Market in Fairmount and rarely made it out that way. A year later I was working at Cascio's on Highway Forty and would turn west at that intersection on a regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City