Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2015, 10:36 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times

Advertisements

Speaking of acronyms, BRAC comes to mind. That is, Base Realignment and Closure Act from which the country has lost over 300 military installations in five rounds of Congressional "money saving."

I just noticed that the Army now has two prisons at Fort Leavenworth. There is a third prison that is on federal land but is non-military.

The new military prison was spurred by BRAC and is called the Midwest Joint Regional Correctional Facility, which opened in 2010. It is a consolidation of three other military prisons.

The United States Disciplinary Barracks is also new having been built from scratch in 2002. This the Army prison that is the most famous. A few years ago Robert Redford starred in a movie about an uprising at Fort Leavenworth. He was a three star general sentenced to ten years and mobilized the inmates.

The local jails at Army posts are called “stockades.” Don’t know what Air Force calls theirs even though I worked on two Air Force bases for fifteen years. Navy and Marine Corps have brigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 04:11 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
This is a 1957 view of somewhere in Independence. Your assignment is to identify the location and point out any historically significant evidence in this view.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
This is a 1957 view of somewhere in Independence. Your assignment is to identify the location and point out any historically significant evidence in this view.

Looks like an arced portion of the Airline RR on the north and Bryant School on the south at about College and River.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:00 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Looks like an arced portion of the Airline RR on the north and Bryant School on the south at about College and River.

Yes, just south of US 24 where both the TL and 24 Hiway SC under construction at the same time.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Yes, just south of US 24 where both the TL and 24 Hiway SC under construction at the same time.
Correct you are! Along the top edge are the new ramps to/from Delaware, after US 24 was elevated over it.

The blue line marks the route of the Airline RR, later KC Southern.
The red line marks the route of the mule-drawn RR to Wayne City landing.
The yellow box marks Bryant School.
Green outlines the boundaries of "The Neck", where many of the servants lived that worked for the upper crust residents along Delaware, Main, Liberty, etc. Alversia Brown Pettigrew wrote an excellent book about this neighborhood, Memories of a Neck Child.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:15 PM

I would see these in multiples of two or three in some few places in Independence just sitting there.

It is a wonder that someone of the numbers of people walking past did not just cart one of them off, but I never heard of anyone doing so.

What is this and where would they be sitting?

Old 01-14-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I would see these in multiples of two or three in some few places in Independence just sitting there.

It is a wonder that someone of the numbers of people walking past did not just cart one of them off, but I never heard of anyone doing so.

What is this and where would they be sitting?
Would those items have been most prevalent late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Would those items have been most prevalent late Tuesday night or early Wednesday morning?
That I could not say. I can only remember frequently seeing them.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
That I could not say. I can only remember frequently seeing them.
I think the contents once transported in those containers is now transported in packets.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I think the contents once transported in those containers is now transported in packets.
I am not sure what "packets" would mean but I think I would have to say packets are not involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City