Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 01:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

What is it? and where is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 09:32 PM

Why is the small parking area on the south side along the length of the old city hall reserved for Jackson County employees??

Just a question.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:32 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

The architectural style appears to be from the 1820s or 30s.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Why is the small parking area on the south side along the length of the old city hall reserved for Jackson County employees??

Just a question.
I'm thinking that some department of the County Government occupies/occupied one of the buildings nearby. However, I'm not sure which department nor which building. I'll try to remember to look about the next time I'm up there.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:07 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:

It's the former DDS offices over on W. Kansas, now housing a lawyer office or two

Wild guess, but it's the best I can do

Old 01-16-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
It's the former DDS offices over on W. Kansas, now housing a lawyer office or two

Wild guess, but it's the best I can do

MRG,

Right now this building is on west Kansas Street but closer to Main than what you might be thinking about. When this photo was taken sometime before 1916 it was on the corner of Lynn and Lexington.

Old 01-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
What can you tell me about this building?

Quote:
It burned down, probably by vandals.
Quote:
In 1961 probably at the time of the fire I was working at C&J United Super although I went to work at Charlies United Super in Fairmount that same year.

I was really saddened by the news of the fire and I had been there at that place (actually on the roadside watching a re-creation of days gone by) just a few weeks prior.
Perhaps this will help the rest of you...

Old 01-17-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:

MRG,

Right now this building is on west Kansas Street but closer to Main than what you might be thinking about. When this photo was taken sometime before 1916 it was on the corner of Lynn and Lexington.
Believed to be the oldest west of the Mississippi River. After all this time I dont know why they would not know that it is the oldest so I will stick my head out and say it is the oldest west of the Mississippi.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Believed to be the oldest west of the Mississippi River. After all this time I dont know why they would not know that it is the oldest so I will stick my head out and say it is the oldest west of the Mississippi.
It has a look of authority, perhaps judicial in nature?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Christian Ott owned the lot and the building and offered it to the City of Independence, but the city sat on the offer for a long time taking no action.

Ott decided to offer the building to Jackson County. Jackson County, in turn, offered it to the Kansas City Parks Commission who consented and intended to move the building to Swope Park.

The county action sparked the city of Independence to immediately pass an ordinance authorizing the move of the building to west Kansas Street. The site at Lynn and Lexington eventually became a freight haul building for Inter-City Freight Lines. Today, it is a parking lot.

Seventeen years after the move and after refurbishment, Harry Truman moved his office there during reconstruction of the Independence courthouse--probably more a publicity stunt than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City