Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 05:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Time for a tough Trivia teaser!

What does the fountain (decorative, not drinking) from the Granada Theater have in common with the brass fireman's pole from old Fire Station #1?
I remember the brass pole from Fire Station #1 because I saw a fireman do a demonstration around 1950, or so.

I remember a drinking fountain in the Granada but don't remember a decorative fountain. Does anyone remember where it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 07:14 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I remember the brass pole from Fire Station #1 because I saw a fireman do a demonstration around 1950, or so.

I remember a drinking fountain in the Granada but don't remember a decorative fountain. Does anyone remember where it was?
My Beloved and I both remember it in the lobby, but can't remember which side.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:12 AM

Here is a front and back of the lobby as it appeared when the Independence Granada theater opened. The first photo shows the doors entrance to the auditorium. The lobby entrance doors were to the left and there were additional sets of doors for exit from the auditorium in the traffic area adjacent to the lobby.

The second photo shows in the background some steps going up a few feet behind that advertising thing The water fountain is to the right. Those steps hit a landing and then diverge with two sets of stairs on each side going on up to the second floor where the restrooms, offices, and cry room access were. I think one side of the steps led to the boys and the other to the girls but you could get to either restroom from either side once you hit the second floor.

As I was writing this, I was wondering if there might have been a wall fountain on that landing. I am also wondering if the fountain might have been a gold color. These photos are from Box Office Magazine November 9, 1940.

That seating area in the lobby was replaced by the time I started attending with a round sofa that had a TV going in the center of the sofa that extended above the sofa back so that patrons could watch TV before the show started. The Adventures of Rin Tin Tin was on at 6:30 pm on Friday nights and a bunch of us kids would congregate in the lobby watching that program. But few of us would watch the entire program because we were afraid there would not be any good seats left in the auditorium for the 7:00 pm movie.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Time for a tough Trivia teaser!

What does the fountain (decorative, not drinking) from the Granada Theater have in common with the brass fireman's pole from old Fire Station #1?
Somewhere within the last 760 or so pages I mentioned that the Granada Theater facade was made by a foundry in Independence. Maybe both these items were made by that foundry also.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Somewhere within the last 760 or so pages I mentioned that the Granada Theater facade was made by a foundry in Independence. Maybe both these items were made by that foundry also.
Thanks for the photos. Your answer, however, to the best of my knowledge, is incorrect.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the photos. Your answer, however, to the best of my knowledge, is incorrect.
Would they have something to do with the HST 76 fire company?

Old 01-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Would they have something to do with the HST 76 fire company?
Good idea, but not correct.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Good idea, but not correct.
So they have something to do with Truman Library?

Old 01-09-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
So they have something to do with Truman Library?
Nope. Perhaps others would like to help with the guesses.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Nope. Perhaps others would like to help with the guesses.
I can hear the head-scratching from all parts of the country. Apparently this is truly a little-known fact.

Both of these artifacts of Independence history ended up in the same private residence on North Delaware. The fire pole was installed so that the kids could slide down from the upstairs bedrooms. The Granada fountain was under the main staircase. Both have been removed, as the house has recently undergone an extensive restoration, with attention to architectural details befitting an earlier time.

I am awaiting word on where these artifacts are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City