Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2015, 08:31 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,612 times

Advertisements

The chain of events in question brought much publicity to Independence. Unfortunately it was not of a positive nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:39 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The chain of events in question brought much publicity to Independence. Unfortunately it was not of a positive nature.

The Sharon Kinne case lover's lane

A Civil War skirmish which led to Gen. Order No. 11

Re Murder on Pleasant Street

None of the above

One of those HAS to be right

Old 01-27-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

None of the above

You are correct. Now you must decide which one hits the target.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:23 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
You are correct. Now you must decide which one hits the target.

By the term "old Independence," accompanying the aerial photograph, do you mean north of Aberdeen Street and the area that was within the city limits prior to 1948?

Old 01-27-2015, 01:54 PM

I have mentioned before that I would walk by this house twice a day every week day for six years on my way to McCoy School.

At that time, there was no tree growth around the place as there is now. The house has had a double garage, the flat portion in back, added since the early fifties. At that time there was the red brick portion even with the extension, I think, in the back but there was no porch.

The driveway entrance is at 933 S Leslie. This part of the house with the porch actually faces South Avenue.

One day, another sixth grader walking with me told me that this house was once used as a hospital during the Civil War. I believed the kid but nevertheless was skeptical and have wondered about it ever since.

It did look old and out of place compared to the other houses in the area.

The house is big at 3,000 square feet according to Zillow.

Zillow also says the house was built in 1840 so it very well have been something during the Civil War.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
By the term "old Independence," accompanying the aerial photograph, do you mean north of Aberdeen Street and the area that was within the city limits prior to 1948?
Yes.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:21 PM

908 posts, read 725,107 times
Quote:
On August 2, 1953, WHB TV began broadcasting on Channel 9—as did KMBC TV on that same channel on that same date.

On June 14, 1954, KMBC TV took over full time broadcasting on Channel 9 and WHB TV faded into history.
This is interesting. I never knew that WHB had a TV station. We did not have a television until 1955 and I am assuming from the above that WHB had gone down into history by that time.

Remember when Channel 4 was the NBC affiliate and it flipped affiliation with 41 as 4 became the FOX affiliate. Anyone recall why that happened?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
This is interesting. I never knew that WHB had a TV station. We did not have a television until 1955 and I am assuming from the above that WHB had gone down into history by that time.

Remember when Channel 4 was the NBC affiliate and it flipped affiliation with 41 as 4 became the FOX affiliate. Anyone recall why that happened?
WHB TV went out in 1954 caused by the Cook Paint and Varnish Co, somehow.

See the below which mentions the Kansas City markets. The Denver channels did a similar flip flop.

1994 United States broadcast TV realignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

None of the above

"None of the above" is not the correct answer.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
I brought this up once before but maybe some of the new folks can come up with an answer.

I am curious if anyone remembers a large single deck baseball stadium with a covered roof and maybe even advertising in the outfield that was located, I thought, on a street corner intersecting with Hardesty or Van Brunt Blvd in KC.

I thought it was south of 23rd and before 31st street. It was on the northwest corner of the intersection that was in a residential area.

It was old but very impressive for “little league” or higher play. If I recall correctly there was a lot of mesh netting strung from tall poles along both the intersecting streets to keep balls from flying into the neighborhood.

It was probably all wood and has probably been torn down by now.

My friends told me that stadium was where the Blues use to play in the old days but apparently that was wrong information since they were at 18th and Vine before they played at 22nd and Brooklyn.

I use to go by it frequently in the fifties. I never did learn the name.

Solved.

My memory as to location of this place was quite a ways off. The stadium is twenty or so blocks southwest with the grandstand at 51st and Indiana. The outfield faces Swope Parkway. I went by that area in the late fifties visiting a girlfriend and her sister. Both now live in Raytown. One of those ladies confirmed just recently that there was netting along the major streets. The current stadium has no netting or any advertising.

Goldman Stadium seems to have been built in 1938. The builder was apparently the owner of Goldman’s Jewelry in KC. There was a branch store on Independence Square in the 50s and 60s where the Clinton “Drug Store” is today. There is a mention of a race track at the site in the thirties.

There are numerous Kansas City Star articles concerning teams playing at Goldman Stadium beginning in 1938 and tapering off towards 1945.

The Lawrence Daily Journal-World says there was a Ban Johnson tournament there in 1938 with many major league scouts expected. That same newspaper mentioned a team called the Kansas City Goldman's.

Goldman Stadium was taken over in 1945 by a local Catholic Diocese and in 1959 was renamed Archbishop O’Hara Memorial CYO Stadium. At the end of that same year, the wood stands partially burned and the stadium use declined.

At some point, the field was sold to the Kansas City Parks Department. A new Satchel Paige Stadium was erected in 1982. That stadium was renovated in 2014.

The drainage ditch is still there.

Goldman Stadium

Satchel Paige Stadium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City