Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

This one jumped out at me on the June 28, 1960 prize list.

I knew where they would fly into at Warrensburg but not exactly where they would eat, chuckle. There was just no fine dining in that town that I was aware. McDonalds had not yet even made it there.

At the time I was in school at the then Central Missouri State College, the college was offering aviation courses at Sky Haven airport via a working agreement and it was possible to major in aviation.

Someone bought the local airport in the sixties and donated it to the school--giving their aviation instruction efforts a huge boost. The now University of Central Missouri also teaches aviation at Whiteman Air Force Base, ten miles distant.

The university has a Department of Aviation. Three bachelor degrees and a masters degree are offered in aviation. They have a 737 simulator and offer an Air Force ROTC program.

Since acquiring the airport, the school has continuously added on to the airport size, the runway lengths, and the number of aircraft owned by the school. The airport handles around 75,000 takeoffs and landings a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 02:41 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

This one jumped out at me on the June 28, 1960 prize list.

I knew where they would fly into at Warrensburg but not exactly where they would eat, chuckle. There was just no fine dining in that town that I was aware. McDonalds had not yet even made it there.
I thought this one was funny too. As for the names and companies:

I recognize J.R. Adams & Son Moving & Storage - 301 N. Kiger
Roper Distributing was in Sugar Creek and Rudy Roper was a mayor of Sugar Creek
I don't recall Austin Electrical Supply
Howard Bell of Bell Pest Control sponsored a Kiwanis baseball team when I played
Harry Barth - No recollection
Brazael Landscaping - No recollection
U-Smile - Yes, 40 Hiway WCHS-63 had our 10 Year reunion there.
George C. Carson - Everyone knows his name.
W. R. Cockefair - Probably husband of Pallas Cockefair
Jay's Buffet - No recollection
Cook Commercial Contracting Co - No recollection
Cornell Roofing - This sounds very familiar to me, but not sure why
Davis Materials Co - No recollection
Doctor's DX - Hmmmm. I wonder where this one was. - No recollection
Midwest Bonding - No recollection
Joe Fatino & Rockwood Country Club - He kept a running tab on my wife's steak dinners when she was a young girl.
Lloyd's Laundry & Cleaning - No recollection
Lively Optical Service - Place where my wife got her first pair of glasses.
Schutte Lumber - I clearly remember this name, but not location
Jerry's Café - Fairmount
Lakin Brothers Home Remodeling - No recollection
Larry Lester - Leonard Realty - Went on to be a new home builder.
Boots Lynn Ditching Co - No recollection
Kimport Doll - Remember the name, but not location
Vern's 3 Minute Car Wash - Crysler north of 23rd
Alex Petrovic - Waddell & Reed - I worked at W&R when he was still there
C & J Meat Co & Locker Svc - I believe this was on Sterling before you got to the light at Kentucky. I believe my father had cows butchered and stored the meat there.
B.F. Scott Inc. - Or, B. F. Scott Plumbing, Heating, and Air Conditioning. - Father-in-law

More later

Old 06-24-2014, 03:10 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
This photo was thought to be taken in 1947. Can you identify the location in the photo?

Old 06-24-2014, 03:11 PM

"Lloyd's Laundry & Cleaning - No recollection"

This photo at 321 south Osage was posted by Doc in December 2012.

This was the home of Lloyd's Laundry and Dry Cleaning. The arrow in the photo contained numerous flashing white lights.

C. Lloyd Haines operated the facility beginning in 1947. He went out of business in 1979. He just recently (2010) passed away.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM

Cornell Roofing at 901 S Northern, Independence. They say they have been in business for 80 years. The company is female owned. Don't know about the people doing the roofing.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
This photo was thought to be taken in 1947. Can you identify the location in the photo?
Kiger and 23rd? Or, more precisely, Kiger and Alton on the north side and Lee's Summit and Alton on the south side.

Old 06-24-2014, 04:33 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Kiger and 23rd? Or, more precisely, Kiger and Alton on the north side and Lee's Summit and Alton on the south side.
I concur. However, please clarify. Is the view to the north or south?

Old 06-24-2014, 05:06 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Me thinks it is looking north. Here is the same area from 1957.

My, what a difference a decade makes!

Old 06-24-2014, 05:46 PM

According to the Kansas City Star, May 1, 1965, this was the home of Doctor's DX at 10801 Winner Road at the west end of the Englewood shopping center.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM

The Kansas City Star of March 14, 1961, mentions an Indian being in front of Jay's Buffet in Independence. No address given for the buffet but the Indian might have been Minnehaha that graced the square until it suddenly disappeared and then popped up in Lamar Hunt's office in the seventies.

The Indian was in front of a cigar store for many years. Don't know if a buffet moved in there later. Must have been really small if it did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City