Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
Another wild guess tonight, The Great Osage Trail.
No. The one I have in mind was essentially a trading trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 09:17 PM

This should make it a little easier.

The terminus city is mentioned eight times in the 1881 history of Jackson County including a table showing the value of goods sent to this place from Franklin and Independence, 1822 to 1837.

The terminus city is mentioned only two times in the 1920 history of Jackson County.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:59 AM

Here is a photo of Minehaha, the cigar store Indian.

I recall seeing him all the time when I was a kid. I knew he was on Lexington across the street from the courthouse but never noted exactly where.

The narrow brick treatment behind the Indian seems to match the brick at the present day 107 W Lexington housing the Game Café. The present day Game Cafe door and window treatments are different and Game Cafe is wider perhaps consolidating two smaller shops. There was a Gibbon's Cafe in that area also.

Pearl Wilcox mentions him as standing in front of the Bodge Tobacco Shop for forty years.

The 1907 Sanborn maps show a cigar factory at 107 W Lexington. The 1916 Sanborn maps show a tobacco shop at 107C W.

Wilcox also says Minnehaha stood in front of Jay’s Restaurant at 110 East Lexington for many years. I dont remember him being in that area and the only restaurant I recall in that area was further east across the street at Lexington and Lynn.

If he was at 107 W then at 109 west, just to the right of the Indian, was where Singer Sewing Machine was located and Bunting Hardware (no building there now) was the next door west after that.

At one time, the statute was in Lamar Hunt’s office but apparently no one knows where the Indian is today.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This should make it a little easier.

The terminus city is mentioned eight times in the 1881 history of Jackson County including a table showing the value of goods sent to this place from Franklin and Independence, 1822 to 1837.

The terminus city is mentioned only two times in the 1920 history of Jackson County.

The answer is The Chihuahua Trail. It was an extension of the Santa Fe Trail.

Most places on the web show this trail as starting at Santa Fe, NM.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM

In further looking at this photo, I don't believe I have ever saw an outdoor ceiling fan as shown above the window.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:14 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:

In further looking at this photo, I don't believe I have ever saw an outdoor ceiling fan as shown above the window.

I dont recall one either (or even the Indian)

But they sure were plentiful in Knoepker's, SSK and WW Woolworth . . .

And those awesome wooden floors

Old 07-28-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I dont recall one either (or even the Indian)

But they sure were plentiful in Knoepker's, SSK and WW Woolworth . . .

And those awesome wooden floors
I remember both the fans and the wooden floors in those stores also.

The only remembrance I have of doing any transactions at Knoepkers, though, was just the act of walking in. Same with Herm's, which was a much smaller clothing operation and might have been men only whereas Knoepkers had men and women's clothing.

It seems like the dime stores had several long island sales counter areas with a sales clerk and cash register operating from within each. There was no centralized check out. And along one wall of each was the luncheonette operation.

Bundschu's Department Store was a little different and there was only one cashier. Each sales person had to shoot a duplicate hand generated sales receipt (carbon paper) and the cash in a cylinder up to the cashier via a pneumatic tube. The cashier kept one copy of the receipt and then shoot the other copy and the change back down the tube. We use to watch the tube going through several levels of tubing and got a kick out it. There could be several tubes flying around at the same time.

Some bank drive ins use those pneumatic tubes also but you cannot see anything.

At some point, it seems to me the ceiling fans became passé for just a few years and then at some point made a strong comeback.

Old 07-28-2014, 04:44 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
Quote:
The answer is The Chihuahua Trail.
Dog smugglers!?! Oh my!!!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:06 PM

320 posts, read 310,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Dog smugglers!?! Oh my!!!
"Small" time criminals.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:12 PM

320 posts, read 310,110 times
Quote:
No. The one I have in mind was essentially a trading trail.
You might be able to expound on this if you wish, but according to one of the references I checked, The Great Osage Trail was part of what eventually became The Santa Fe Trail. At least the Franklin to Independence segment. I would have to find it again to verify but I think it went on into Kansas. That's all I remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City