Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times

Advertisements

W.C. Brown Grocer
Comingo & Slover, Attorneys
C.S. Crysler, Attorney
Chrisman & Sawyer, Bankers
County Clerk
Chicago & Alton Depot
Cunningham & Company, Grocers
Gates, Wallace, & Sea, Attorneys
Jas. Goodin, residence
C. R. Haller Grocer
W.H. Joseph Saloon
Journal Office
J.C. Lefiwich Saloon
Larkin & Son Livery Stable
McCurdy & Son Agricultural Implements
J.H. Morrison Druggist
McCoy & McAfees Woolen Mill
Missouri Pacific Depot
Nichol Brothers Hardware
Pacific Express
Thomas Rogers, Tinner
Sentinel Office
A.T. Slack Grocer
United States Express
Western Union Telegraph Office
Woodson & Sheeley Express
G.E. Wilson, Grocer
Waggoner & Gates Flour Mill
M.R. Wright Boots & Shoes
M.R. Wright residence

The above list was compiled for a very specific reason. Your task is to identify that reason. The list is complete, except for one word and one entry that would be a give-away.

It did cost a bit to get on the list.

The list was only really useful for those on the list.

The list, now much longer, is still compiled annually. (I have several copies of the modern version.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:43 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,773,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post

Starlight is part of Swope Park Zoo complex.
Ah thanks, I remember now. There was a certain way I got there and remember the park entrance that I used. It must have been off 63rd Street.

I recall "Cops" filming a murder investigation that happened at that entrance.

I wonder if it is safe going there now, chuckle.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:03 AM

320 posts, read 310,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Maple Street across from the courthouse heading west toward Liberty. It is a cinch he was not playing at Fairmount Park at this time.

He first performed in Kansas City in 1930. He performed at Starlight in 1985. I could not find any specifics about playing at Fairmount Park although he is mentioned in a couple of the histories about the park.

That is a '49 Ford in the background

He was performing at the Municipal Auditorium in '49. So he may have come over to announce his presence and put out the word for Independence attendance or maybe call on Harry if he was home during the summer, which he usually was. Nothing was going on in Washington back then during the summer.

He was also back in 1950 for the Kansas City centennial celebration.

I attended Starlight a few times in the early sixties but for the life of me I cannot remember where it was at. I recall one of the female performers saying on stage as part of the play that "I was the ugliest woman in Independence, Missouri." Must have been a few people there from Independence as the comment drew an awful lot of laughter.

edit: He married a Sugar Creek girl in Kansas City. That may be why he came back so often, perhaps to see family. Scratch that, they divorced in '42.
Went back and looked more into the posted picture of Red Skelton, it was May 16, 1949. The parade was for what was called the "Opportunity Bond Campaign". I assume Red was part of a multi-city tour for this campaign and Independence was one of the stops because it was Harry's hometown.

Old 08-01-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Who is he:

He was named for a South American political and military dictator.

For most people (including me) he was first, at least indirectly and not by name, brought to the attention of the American people by President John F. Kennedy in a televised speech.

He “outed” Lucille Ball and Humphrey Bogart.

Among other things, he was accused of bank robbery and went underground becoming the subject of a massive manhunt.

He was a William Chrisman graduate and the son of an Independence politician who later became a county lawman. His brother was a Baptist minister.
Quote:
He was cornered in New Mexico, tried and served but four years.

He became an author.

He may have later became a sexual predator--charged and tried but not convicted.
I'm stumped (no one in my class at WCHS would act that way!). Perhaps it was Jesse Smith.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:13 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
W.C. Brown Grocer
Comingo & Slover, Attorneys
C.S. Crysler, Attorney
Chrisman & Sawyer, Bankers
County Clerk
Chicago & Alton Depot
Cunningham & Company, Grocers
Gates, Wallace, & Sea, Attorneys
Jas. Goodin, residence
C. R. Haller Grocer
W.H. Joseph Saloon
Journal Office
J.C. Lefiwich Saloon
Larkin & Son Livery Stable
McCurdy & Son Agricultural Implements
J.H. Morrison Druggist
McCoy & McAfees Woolen Mill
Missouri Pacific Depot
Nichol Brothers Hardware
Pacific Express
Thomas Rogers, Tinner
Sentinel Office
A.T. Slack Grocer
United States Express
Western Union Telegraph Office
Woodson & Sheeley Express
G.E. Wilson, Grocer
Waggoner & Gates Flour Mill
M.R. Wright Boots & Shoes
M.R. Wright residence

The above list was compiled for a very specific reason. Your task is to identify that reason. The list is complete, except for one word and one entry that would be a give-away.

It did cost a bit to get on the list.

The list was only really useful for those on the list.

The list, now much longer, is still compiled annually. (I have several copies of the modern version.)
Sponsorships of some kind?

Membership in a business organization?

Membership in a fraternal, nonprofit, charitable, etc. organization?

A list of shakedowns by Independence politicians?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I'm stumped (no one in my class at WCHS would act that way!). Perhaps it was Jesse Smith.
Maybe this will help.

In 1953 he started a corporation in Independence that produced dog food supplements. Prior to that he held various odd jobs.

After he graduated from WCHS he refused to support American entry in WWII but nevertheless enlisted in the Army. He was soon released due to chronic nervousness and depression.

He enrolled at Kansas State University and lasted 24 months months. He later enrolled at Washburn University and lasted six months. He also took correspondence courses from Georgia Tech. I don't have any information as to whether he ever graduated.

He says his entry into notoriety quietly started in 1958 at a meeting of like minded people in a little coffee shop, one-half block west of the square on Lexington Street.

No name was given for this place and I cannot draw it out of my RAM. The closest place I can think of would be Luff's a small cafe on Lexington behind the then Galen Boyer Pontiac but that was almost at the end of the second block west of the square. The Examiner was then directly across the street on Lexington.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe this will help.

In 1953 he started a corporation in Independence that produced dog food supplements. Prior to that he held various odd jobs.

After he graduated from WCHS he refused to support American entry in WWII but nevertheless enlisted in the Army. He was soon released due to chronic nervousness and depression.

He enrolled at Kansas State University and lasted 24 months months. He later enrolled at Washburn University and lasted six months. He also took correspondence courses from Georgia Tech. I don't have any information as to whether he ever graduated.

He says his entry into notoriety quietly started in 1958 at a meeting of like minded people in a little coffee shop, one-half block west of the square on Lexington Street.

No name was given for this place and I cannot draw it out of my RAM. The closest place I can think of would be Luff's a small cafe on Lexington behind the then Galen Boyer Pontiac but that was almost at the end of the second block west of the square. The Examiner was then directly across the street on Lexington.
Is he now, or has he ever been, a member of the Communist Party?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Sponsorships of some kind?

Membership in a business organization?

Membership in a fraternal, nonprofit, charitable, etc. organization?

A list of shakedowns by Independence politicians?
No.
Nope.
Nada.
Not that we are aware of.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:04 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,121 times
Quote:
No.
Nope.
Nada.
Not that we are aware of.

Elephino

Old 08-01-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Is he now, or has he ever been, a member of the Communist Party?
I have not seen any information to that affect.

However, a couple web sites say communists bombed his business in Independence.

In an he interview, he said he did not know who it was that did the bombing.

I dont have any information as to the exact location of his business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City