Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 10:57 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

The father was born in Northern Ireland under the name McCutcheon. At some point he was impressed into the British Navy but during the War of 1812 he was rescued by the U.S. Navy and joined them. Another story has him coming to the U.S. and enlisting in the Army to fight the British. After the war, he settled in Kentucky and then came to Independence.

Under his adopted American name he built the first business of this type in Independence.

In 1829, he was the first person in Jackson County history to be elected to this position.

Prior to his death, the father instructed his family that neither a tombstone nor a marker, nor a mound should identify his grave. In the mid-20th century the citizens of Independence erected a monument on his grave site.

Among other endeavors, the son manufactured plows and cultivators in a 20 x 40 foot brick building.

Almost fifty years after the father located in Independence, his son was elected mayor of Independence.

Name this father-son dynamic duo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 PM

320 posts, read 310,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
This building is gone but has not been forgotten.

What was it and what evidence exists today to show that it ever existed?

Yep.....that's it alright.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:00 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
You are correct, mostly. The Chicago & Alton (which built that line in 1879) failed in 1931 and was taken over by the B&O, which changed its name to the Alton RR. In 1947 the Gulf Mobile & Ohio bought the Alton and merged it into their operation, dropping the Alton name. 1972 brought the merger of the GM&O with the Illinois Central forming the Illinois Central Gulf. In 1987 they sold most of the old C&A western division to the Chicago Missouri and Western RR. By 1990 that RR was bankrupt and taken over by the Gateway Western. Finally in 1997 the GWRR was purchased by KC Southern, which still operates over the old C&A line in the photo to St. Louis, MO and Springfield, IL.

In just 7 years the view has changed a bit...
The 1963 photo captures a moment in my wife's life.

Where Adams runs into 39th Street, her brother lived on the south side of 39th. If you look a little to right, you will see a cul-de-sac on the south side of 39th St. That is Christopher Circle. At the top of the cul-de-sac, on the west side of Christopher Circle, you will see a home and a circle drive that exits on 39th and Christopher Circle. My wife moved there with her parents in 1963 and lived their in 1969 when we married.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:03 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
I've been on, to, and driven past that site many times. I'll give the others a chance.
Weston Blacksmith Shop?

Old 02-23-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Weston Blacksmith Shop?
The photo is of the Weston Blacksmith Shop at Kansas and Liberty--the last of the “old time” blacksmith shops to bite the dust in Independence.

The building stood until well into the 20th century. It was condemned in 1921 but was still standing when this marker was erected in 1926. I have not been able to find the exact year of demolition.

I thought I saw somewhere that the city was wanting to do something to protect this marker from surrounding traffic and parking but they have apparently not done so.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:38 PM

This is a memorial to two historical Independence people, a man and a woman, in east Central Missouri.

Who are these people and where is the memorial?

Old 02-23-2015, 06:24 PM

320 posts, read 310,168 times
Quote:
The photo is of the Weston Blacksmith Shop at Kansas and Liberty--the last of the “old time” blacksmith shops to bite the dust in Independence.

The building stood until well into the 20th century. It was condemned in 1921 but was still standing when this marker was erected in 1926. I have not been able to find the exact year of demolition.

I thought I saw somewhere that the city was wanting to do something to protect this marker from surrounding traffic and parking but they have apparently not done so.

According to the pictorial book "Independence" by Richard Piland, the shop was razed in 1931.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
According to the pictorial book "Independence" by Richard Piland, the shop was razed in 1931.
Thanks for that info. One of the reasons for the 1921 condemnation was that part of the building was falling onto the sidewalk. A 1931 razing would be ten years after being condemned. i suppose the city and everyone else had to wait until the money cropped up to pull it down.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:

This is a memorial to two historical Independence people, a man and a woman, in east Central Missouri.

Who are these people and where is the memorial?
Is that the monument to My Beloved and me?!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Is that the monument to My Beloved and me?!
One of the individuals commemorated was age 32 at death, the other was 88.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City