Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2015, 09:24 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

Advertisements

My folks house is the lone house looking northeast at 35th and Brentwood. There are several empty lots to the left of their house with three completed houses in a north-south line immediately to their west. For just a short time, they were the last house on 35th Street.

In 1963, the large open area to the southeast at 39th and Lee's Summit was one of several metro locations where Charley Finley threatened to build a $1m temporary stadium for the A's. The KC City Council would not meet his lease demands at Municipal Stadium so he looked to build something temporary until the council agreed. It was projected to be all bleachers, have rest rooms, hot dog facilities, lights, and dirt parking. Nothing ever happened and it was probably bluster more than anything else. If I recall, he gave in to the council and then started talk of moving, which happened five years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 09:37 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

My folks house is the lone house looking northeast at 35th and Brentwood. There are several empty lots to the left of their house with three completed houses in a north-south line immediately to their west. For just a short time, they were the last house on 35th Street.
Did you ever use the westernmost crossing of the GM&O tracks, seen in this view? It appears the bridge is still there in '63, but part of the roadway is gone.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:33 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Did you ever use the westernmost crossing of the GM&O tracks, seen in this view? It appears the bridge is still there in '63, but part of the roadway is gone.
I dont really know but it seems that I probably would have had to.

That bridge was “Greek” to me when a similar aerial photo was posted some time ago. I don’t even remember seeing it when I helped the folks move into their new home--and that was shortly before this photo was taken as they were for a short time the last house on 35th when they moved in.

I distinctly recall cruising 35th Street on a chip and seal road east from Noland after I started driving in 1958, but I do not recall going across that bridge. All I remember is cornfields everywhere.

There are two bridges east of the bridge you are asking about.

I recall when they built the middle bridge (tracks going over the road) and that was about summer of 1960.

It seems to me the third bridge should not be there at the time of this photo—although thinking about it, it might have been condemned and still standing.

We all thought the new road going under that middle bridge was going to be the permanent route of Lee’s Summit Road. For a few years it was used to go to 35th Street, turn east and drive back to Lee's Summit Road. Eventually, they widened Lee's Summit Road and followed the old route to a new bridge where the condemned bridge was.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:49 PM

It is time for a Wednesday Where? There has been a bit of change in this area since 1957.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM

60 posts, read 56,786 times
Quote:
It is time for a Wednesday Where? There has been a bit of change in this area since 1957.

Is it Truman and Lee's Summit Road?

Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
Is it Truman and Lee's Summit Road?
If I want to be nit-picky I would have to say no. However, today Truman & Lee's Summit would be in the view today. Kiger runs down the east side, Truman along the north, Walnut on the south, and the north-west leg of Kiger is at the top left.

Give yourself a pat on the head and buy yourself a Hi-Boy burger!

Old 07-30-2015, 12:42 PM

908 posts, read 725,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Chrisman must have been bursting at the seams by 1963 with enrollees stretching all the way down to Sycamore Hills
There were 535 grads in class of 1963. If you look at 39th Street and Adams on the map and then go to the right, you will see a house on a corner with a circle drive. That was where my sister-in-law lived in 1963, along with her younger sister. The older sister graduated in 1963. There was not that much done to Sycamore Hills yet. Within a year or two, Wow!

Old 07-30-2015, 12:58 PM

60 posts, read 56,786 times
Quote:
If I want to be nit-picky I would have to say no. However, today Truman & Lee's Summit would be in the view today. Kiger runs down the east side, Truman along the north, Walnut on the south, and the north-west leg of Kiger is at the top left.

Give yourself a pat on the head and buy yourself a Hi-Boy burger!
Thanks for the partial credit and the burger offer Mad. Actually having a delicious Hi-Boy shake as I type. I think the curve on Truman is how I based my guess. I have lived here my entire life but didn't start driving until 30 years after that photo was taken. That area really has changed.

Old 07-30-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
Thanks for the partial credit and the burger offer Mad. Actually having a delicious Hi-Boy shake as I type. I think the curve on Truman is how I based my guess. I have lived here my entire life but didn't start driving until 30 years after that photo was taken. That area really has changed.
Well then you get extra credit for recognizing something from before your time.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:05 PM

Okay Kev, and whosoever, what is special about this field as seen in 1957, and where is/was it?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City