Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2014, 05:45 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,187 times

Advertisements

[quote=WCHS'59;35895134]Here is a quickie. Where is the Catholic cemetery in Independence?[/quote]
Within the confines of what is now called Woodlawn Cemetery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 06:09 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;35895219]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Here is a quickie. Where is the Catholic cemetery in Independence?[/quote]
Within the confines of what is now called Woodlawn Cemetery.
Yes, it was once a separate cemetery.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:23 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times
Quote:
In the meantime, what do the following locations have in common?

209 W Lexington
123 S Liberty
218 W Maple
301 W Lexington
300 W Lexington
Were all of these sites for a same/similar business? e.g. automobiles, gas stations, doctors' offices?

Old 07-31-2014, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Were all of these sites for a same/similar business? e.g. automobiles, gas stations, doctors' offices?
Yes, but none of those you mentioned.

And each address was not occupied simultaneously by that same type of business.

Old 07-31-2014, 06:53 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times
Quote:
Yes, but none of those you mentioned.

And each address was not occupied simultaneously by that same type of business.

US Post Office?

Old 07-31-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
US Post Office?

You got it.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Who is he:

He was named for a South American political and military dictator.

For most people (including me) he was first, at least indirectly and not by name, brought to the attention of the American people by President John F. Kennedy in a televised speech.

He “outed” Lucille Ball and Humphrey Bogart.

Among other things, he was accused of bank robbery and went underground becoming the subject of a massive manhunt.

He was a William Chrisman graduate and the son of an Independence politician who later became a county lawman. His brother was a Baptist minister.

He was cornered in New Mexico, tried and served but four years.

He became an author.

He may have later became a sexual predator--charged and tried but not convicted.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 PM

320 posts, read 309,970 times
Quote:
Red Skelton played at the theater in the amusement park.

Do not recall the occasion in this photo of Red Skelton, but he did seem to frequent the area throughout the years.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post

Do not recall the occasion in this photo of Red Skelton, but he did seem to frequent the area throughout the years.
Maple Street across from the courthouse heading west toward Liberty. It is a cinch he was not playing at Fairmount Park at this time.

He first performed in Kansas City in 1930. He performed at Starlight in 1985. I could not find any specifics about playing at Fairmount Park although he is mentioned in a couple of the histories about the park.

That is a '49 Ford in the background

He was performing at the Municipal Auditorium in '49. So he may have come over to announce his presence and put out the word for Independence attendance or maybe call on Harry if he was home during the summer, which he usually was. Nothing was going on in Washington back then during the summer.

He was also back in 1950 for the Kansas City centennial celebration.

I attended Starlight a few times in the early sixties but for the life of me I cannot remember where it was at. I recall one of the female performers saying on stage as part of the play that "I was the ugliest woman in Independence, Missouri." Must have been a few people there from Independence as the comment drew an awful lot of laughter.

edit: He married a Sugar Creek girl in Kansas City. That may be why he came back so often, perhaps to see family. Scratch that, they divorced in '42.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-31-2014 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 AM

320 posts, read 309,970 times
Quote:
Maple Street across from the courthouse heading west toward Liberty. It is a cinch he was not playing at Fairmount Park at this time.

He first performed in Kansas City in 1930. He performed at Starlight in 1985. I could not find any specifics about playing at Fairmount Park although he is mentioned in a couple of the histories about the park.

That is a '49 Ford in the background

He was performing at the Municipal Auditorium in '49. So he may have come over to announce his presence and put out the word for Independence attendance or maybe call on Harry if he was home during the summer, which he usually was. Nothing was going on in Washington back then during the summer.

He was also back in 1950 for the Kansas City centennial celebration.

I attended Starlight a few times in the early sixties but for the life of me I cannot remember where it was at. I recall one of the female performers saying on stage as part of the play that "I was the ugliest woman in Independence, Missouri." Must have been a few people there from Independence as the comment drew an awful lot of laughter.

edit: He married a Sugar Creek girl in Kansas City. That may be why he came back so often, perhaps to see family. Scratch that, they divorced in '42.

Starlight is part of Swope Park Zoo complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City