Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2021, 10:35 PM

908 posts, read 725,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Golden Acres is south of Gudgell a bit east of Noland. It has managed to retain its character over the years, and is/was home to a few notables; Gene Cable of Chevrolet fame, Dick Wilson of TV and Radio renown, and most important of all- Anxiety the 4th.

https://hereford.org/static/files/0708_Legends.pdf
Golden Acres was where many of my high school friends lived back in the early 1960s. Dr. Agee lived there. His office was one block north of 23rd on the SE corner of Noland. Mr. Les Ostoff lived there. His son, Bill, became a reporter for United Press International before becoming a Bureau Chief. Mr. Ostoff was in the men's department at Bundschu's. E.C. Austin lived on Red Road. He co-owned National Aluminum and Glass Foundry in Independence. Across the street from Austin's was the home of William Fullerton, owner of an architect firm. He designed Carson Funeral Home and Blue Valley Federal S&L at 310 W. Lexington. He is mention in the survey that I posted a few days ago. One door south of Fullerton's was the home of Jim Taylor who owned an Oldsmobile dealership on Truman Road. Also, there was an Irving family on Red Road. The father was a union official and his son owned a massage parlor on Truman Road just east of I-435. One road east of Red Road, one could find the home of a TWA pilot, Mr. Hugh Graff. Mr. McComas, who owned a few lakes around the area also lived in Golden Acres. There were Newhouses, McClarys and Millers. Miller and McClary sons were in the same Boy Scout Troop where I became an Eagle Scout.

I used to meet the daughter of one of the above families at Crysler Stadium on nights when I was not playing. Another daughter of another family was my date to my Junior Prom. I always had a habit of dating higher in status than my own. That is why I married a young lady who once lived in Manor Oaks. I'm sure there were other families that I should remember; however, this is for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 07:23 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Golden Acres was where many of my high school friends lived back in the early 1960s. Dr. Agee lived there. His office was one block north of 23rd on the SE corner of Noland. Mr. Les Ostoff lived there. His son, Bill, became a reporter for United Press International before becoming a Bureau Chief. Mr. Ostoff was in the men's department at Bundschu's. E.C. Austin lived on Red Road. He co-owned National Aluminum and Glass Foundry in Independence. Across the street from Austin's was the home of William Fullerton, owner of an architect firm. He designed Carson Funeral Home and Blue Valley Federal S&L at 310 W. Lexington. He is mention in the survey that I posted a few days ago. One door south of Fullerton's was the home of Jim Taylor who owned an Oldsmobile dealership on Truman Road. Also, there was an Irving family on Red Road. The father was a union official and his son owned a massage parlor on Truman Road just east of I-435. One road east of Red Road, one could find the home of a TWA pilot, Mr. Hugh Graff. Mr. McComas, who owned a few lakes around the area also lived in Golden Acres. There were Newhouses, McClarys and Millers. Miller and McClary sons were in the same Boy Scout Troop where I became an Eagle Scout.

I used to meet the daughter of one of the above families at Crysler Stadium on nights when I was not playing. Another daughter of another family was my date to my Junior Prom. I always had a habit of dating higher in status than my own. That is why I married a young lady who once lived in Manor Oaks. I'm sure there were other families that I should remember; however, this is for now.
I saw the reference to Wm Fullerton in the Famous Architects section

Amazing to find this development started in the early 1930s and didn't complete until post-WW2 I expected it to be alot larger, at least more streets, given the time frame to develop and that there was probably not much in the area way back then (in glancing at the map)

Graf(f) might be the family of "Hap" who was a basketball star @ Truman, class of 67. That name is probably familiar to others, ahem. I saw in one Polk's where Hap rented from my Grandfather on W Maple. Didn't expect to see that.

I have zero recollection of this fine subdivision, nor ever driving thru there. Which surprises me given the history of Noland Rd/Truman HS et al development. Was GA isolated out that way, like today when developments are often situated away from the main activities of town? It seems so given the description on page 73, and I guess that was considered a reason to live there.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:25 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Golden Acres is south of Gudgell a bit east of Noland. It has managed to retain its character over the years, and is/was home to a few notables; Gene Cable of Chevrolet fame, Dick Wilson of TV and Radio renown, and most important of all- Anxiety the 4th.

https://hereford.org/static/files/0708_Legends.pdf

So GA is part of the farm that housed the studly Anxiety? Did it take all of the farm, or just part?

Asking for a friend

Old 02-09-2021, 08:01 AM

908 posts, read 725,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I saw the reference to Wm Fullerton in the Famous Architects section

Amazing to find this development started in the early 1930s and didn't complete until post-WW2 I expected it to be alot larger, at least more streets, given the time frame to develop and that there was probably not much in the area way back then (in glancing at the map)

Graf(f) might be the family of "Hap" who was a basketball star @ Truman, class of 67. That name is probably familiar to others, ahem. I saw in one Polk's where Hap rented from my Grandfather on W Maple. Didn't expect to see that.

I have zero recollection of this fine subdivision, nor ever driving thru there. Which surprises me given the history of Noland Rd/Truman HS et al development. Was GA isolated out that way, like today when developments are often situated away from the main activities of town? It seems so given the description on page 73, and I guess that was considered a reason to live there.
Hap Graff was Hugh Graff's son.

Golden Acres is fairly secluded. It has two entrances off Gudgell. The western most entrance is about 3 blocks off Noland. There is only one entrance on the south side and that goes through Bella Vista Subdivision which use to be where two other noted Independence residents lived: Ed Wood, Owner of Wild Woody's and Mr. Andes of Andes & Roberts, home builders. Much of Drumm Farm has been built into houses north of where the house and buildings are. It also has a golf course on the west side.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:42 AM

267 posts, read 158,313 times
Quote:
Quite the coincidence

Thanks also for posting this Have skimmed most of it, reading sections at a time

Where was this Golden Acres subdivision located, mentioned on page 73?

Ok, I see it. Not where I would have imagined. I would’ve guessed somewhere south of town, near Crysler or Sterling

dmouse has probably known a family or two or three who’s lived there

You are very perceptive MRG, I have known quite a few folks that live or lived there. A very nice, older neighborhood; my folks thought a lot about buying a home there, but never did. It was one neighborhood (along with Manor Oaks) that resisted streetlights for many years, until rising crime changed their minds.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:00 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
So GA is part of the farm that housed the studly Anxiety? Did it take all of the farm, or just part?

Asking for a friend

Tell your friend that GA only covers a portion of the old cattle land. It was on both sides of Gudgell east of Noland. Somewhere I might have more precise boundaries.

Old 02-17-2021, 10:55 AM

The January 30, 1947 Examiner had a story about the first public demonstration in Independence of an item now taken for granted. The demonstration was held in front of The Examiner's office. This new item cost about $225 for installation and carried a $15 per month service fee.

Who knows what that item was?

Old 02-17-2021, 11:46 PM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
The January 30, 1947 Examiner had a story about the first public demonstration in Independence of an item now taken for granted. The demonstration was held in front of The Examiner's office. This new item cost about $225 for installation and carried a $15 per month service fee.

A mobile telephone?

My recollection is that, before the development of cellular radio transmission, mobile phones required you to install a transmitting/receiving station in the trunk of your car.

Old 02-18-2021, 06:04 AM

267 posts, read 158,313 times
Quote:

Streetlight? Parking meter?

Old 02-18-2021, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
Streetlight? Parking meter?

Nope and nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
A mobile telephone?

My recollection is that, before the development of cellular radio transmission, mobile phones required you to install a transmitting/receiving station in the trunk of your car.

Buy yourself a fancy cigar! The phone company charged $25 to install a mobile phone, the other $200 was the average cost to beef up the electrical system in the car to feed the tubes in the transmitter/receiver.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City