Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2020, 09:33 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Malta Bend is also the resting place for buried treasure in the form of a sunken riverboat. The Hawley family (Steamboat Arabia) has set their targets on excavating that one next.
I knew you'd have the response Thx

Just flipping thru '63 Polk's Independence . . . so many names, personally and businesses, the Good Ol Daze fer shure

Many of my RJH classmates are listed, having Independence addresses. The way the City and Raytown Skool District weaved its way thru generally 51st between Noland and Blue Ridge Blvd And to the north. An ex gf lived in the 3700 block of Scott Yet I had friends who would go to Truman at 41st St Terrace, which would be ten blocks north of where we would move in early 1965

I've been away for so long that it's difficult for me to imagine certain roads/intersections. Somehow I cannot picture Blue Ridge north of I-70

Not that I had any reason to go that way

I am also amazed looking at the Rand StreetGuide how close so many things dear and precious to me were. Why did things seem like further away when we were kids? I'm generally looking from Pittman west, LS Rd east. 23rd north, and 72nd south. All on the same page

That wasn't my entire world back then, and could have gone further west, but pretty much added a visual perspective.

Sorry for the rambling . . . just feeling nostalgic

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 11-13-2020 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2020, 12:44 PM

Who can correctly ID the TG&Ys Locations (approx)

I was going to tell you how many, but decided against it, owing to your Collective Genius

Old 11-13-2020, 08:41 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Who can correctly ID the TG&Ys Locations (approx)

I was going to tell you how many, but decided against it, owing to your Collective Genius

My fuzzy memory thinks there was one in Fairmount. There was definitely one at 24 Hiway & River, but I don't know if it was there by 1963.

Old 11-13-2020, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
My fuzzy memory thinks there was one in Fairmount. There was definitely one at 24 Hiway & River, but I don't know if it was there by 1963.
If 10301 Independence Ave is Fairmount, then give yourself one credit. I keep getting inconsistent markings on both Google Maps and Mapquest

You are correct on the other, 24 Hiway Shopping Center. It was, however, an original tenant since the SC was constructed same time as Truman Library, circa 1957 You are thus credited another point

Any more? Anyone else?

Old 11-14-2020, 07:49 AM

Ok in an attempt to Wake Up The Echoes of this thread, I'm doubling down on the number of Five and Dimes

So opening up the playbook to include ALL TG&Ys and "others"

PS Bonus . . . the slogan in the first sentence is associated with what?

No cheating, TIA

Old 11-14-2020, 08:03 AM

More Drivia:

The answer is: In 1957 Thomas J Lipton Inc acquired a locally-owned regional "food" company, which is now nationally famous and sold in all 50 states TJL Inc expanded its Independence plant and distribution facilities in 1962 to accommodate this acquisition

In the form of a question, please.

You have 30 seconds, good luck.

Old 11-15-2020, 07:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
More Drivia:

The answer is: In 1957 Thomas J Lipton Inc acquired a locally-owned regional "food" company, which is now nationally famous and sold in all 50 states TJL Inc expanded its Independence plant and distribution facilities in 1962 to accommodate this acquisition

In the form of a question, please.

You have 30 seconds, good luck.
What was the Wish-Bone restaurant?

This old-school landmark was located on top of the hill at 45th and Main streets, overlooking the Country Club Plaza. Lipton bought the restaurant because of its salad dressing, which had become regionally famous; now it's a famous national brand.

Meanwhile, the restaurant is no more; it met its demise in the late 1980s, IIRC.

Old 11-15-2020, 02:26 PM

38 posts, read 74,056 times
I used to get my grade school supplies at the TG&Y at Independence Avenue and White. There used to be a Western Auto store close by. I know it's not in Independence.

Old 11-15-2020, 05:01 PM

14,164 posts, read 9,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo70 View Post
I used to get my grade school supplies at the TG&Y at Independence Avenue and White. There used to be a Western Auto store close by. I know it's not in Independence.
TG&Y! There was one of those in the Swope Parkway shopping center about 3/4 mile south of where I lived.

That was one of the regional "five and dime" chains that competed with Woolworth's. (Sam Walton ran one on the square in Bentonville, Ark., in the 1960s. Then, like Kresge and Woolworth, he got this idea that a discount department store would do well. The rest is history.)

But can anybody tell me what TG&Y stood for?

Old 11-15-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
TG&Y! There was one of those in the Swope Parkway shopping center about 3/4 mile south of where I lived.

That was one of the regional "five and dime" chains that competed with Woolworth's. (Sam Walton ran one on the square in Bentonville, Ark., in the 1960s. Then, like Kresge and Woolworth, he got this idea that a discount department store would do well. The rest is history.)

But can anybody tell me what TG&Y stood for?
Toys Guns & Yo-Yos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City