Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 07:38 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I sure never knew there was a Furr's at 24 and 291. It must have been on the east side of 291.

Rats!!! I gave you guys the info w/ the photo! AGAIN!! At least you didn't have to strain to figure it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
That is retail, it will be a Dollar General. They just finished a similar building on 24 Highway just west of Jennings.

I surmise from your comments that you are now or have recently been back in town. If so, welcome back!
I guess there is a niche for Dollar General. I can find some stuff in those places sometime, chuckle.

I have left already. Just a short visit in Independence while visiting over in Kansas--where I was born in the southeast part of the state.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Rats!!! I gave you guys the info w/ the photo! AGAIN!! At least you didn't have to strain to figure it out!
Chuckle, I was wondering if you were aware of that. But you put it on there before and I sure could not figure it out. But the architecture seems to indicate it was built after I left.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I hear what you are saying. Interesting about Alton/23rd being R.D. Mize east of Leslie at one time.

Jackson County O highway did not come along until some time after 1953. I was a school patrol boy in the 6th grade, 1953, and assigned to duty at US By pass 71 (Noland Road) and Alton (23rd Street). There were traffic lights there but the school felt two patrol boys needed to be there to help the kids get across Noland, which even at that time was was four lane from Pacific Street to South Side Boulevard.

It had to be two or three years later that the first segment of O was finished. I cannot recall whether the segment north of 23rd or south of 23rd was finished first but you could drive on it as each segment was finished. We thought that was some humdinger of a highway to be county but that designation was only temporary. When it was totally finished it became By pass 71 replacing Noland and later became M-291.

I might also say that as an eleven year old patrol boy, when it was cold outside I spent a lot of time in the Clark Bernard Drug Store, which was right on that southeast corner abutting the sidewalk on Noland and Alton. I was trying to keep warm. I and the other kid would alternate being outside in the harsh weather. But if there were a lot of kids crossing we were both there. We had our Sam Brown belts and badge and a special flag we used to stop cars--but the light was red for them anyway. We were not there very long in the morning or afternoon but it seemed like a long time at that age.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:00 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Let's try this again! I may have submitted this photo before, if so......
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-mystery-8.jpg  

Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 PM

2,373 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Perhaps Dallas could poke about the Polk's to see if he can tell when RD Mize from Leslie to James Downey was renamed.

OK I will try.........at least in 1948 Polk's does not show Leslie intersecting with RD Mize. Only with Alton, Blue Springs Road, Fair, and Albert. No mention of RD Mize at all...not under M, or R, or RD

Same for 1960, with the exception that Leslie now went further south. From 1701 to 2113

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:25 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Let's try this again! I may have submitted this photo before, if so......
I was by there recently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
OK I will try.........at least in 1948 Polk's does not show Leslie intersecting with RD Mize. Only with Alton, Blue Springs Road, Fair, and Albert. No mention of RD Mize at all...not under M, or R, or RD

Same for 1960, with the exception that Leslie now went further south. From 1701 to 2113

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places?
In my 1988 Polk's it is "Mize R D Rd". Try looking there and see what streets intersect.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 PM

Just who was RD Mize anyway? I used to live in Blue Springs so I'm very familiar with the roadway, but figured it was some farmer who owned much of the land out that way at one point.

Googling brought me to the Truman Library archives and an interview with his nephew, Mize Peters (yes, I have the name correct!) In talking about HST, interviews in 63/64:

Later, while he was Vice President, I was riding with him in his car to Kansas City on one of his trips home when he asked me if I knew who gave him his first political appointment. I said I supposed I had known but that I had forgotten. He said, "Your uncle, Judge R.D. Mize, who was eastern judge. He appointed me road overseer for Washington township." So that is another family connection we have had with him. My uncle admired him very much, especially his independence. My uncle was a very independent man, not afraid to tell anybody if he thought they were wrong, and always willing to back up what he felt. He felt that Harry Truman was cut off the same bolt of cloth.

PETERS: Yes, he was a road overseer. Because of Independence being the county seat, the farmers came here, especially when court was meeting. Every township had a road overseer appointed by the county court, a farmer living in the district. John Truman, Harry’s father, was overseer in Washington township. After he died my uncle, Judge R. D. Mize, then eastern judge, appointed Harry to fill the elder Mr. Truman’s place.

PETERS: Oh, yes, I was always considered a "Goat," and my uncle, Judge Mize, was a Pendergast man. In fact, Pendergast named one of his boys for him, Robert Pendergast.

Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I was by there recently!

In my 1988 Polk's it is "Mize R D Rd". Try looking there and see what streets intersect.
1960 is the last year I have access to. Nothing under Mize, etc. Alton did morph into Blue Springs Rd @ 1200 Leslie and ran eastward all the way "beyond S. Kiger" I presume that is approximately where the city limits ended back then.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
1960 is the last year I have access to. Nothing under Mize, etc. Alton did morph into Blue Springs Rd @ 1200 Leslie and ran eastward all the way "beyond S. Kiger" I presume that is approximately where the city limits ended back then.
The 1948-59 city limits ended at Woodbury Road. In 1960, the city limits extended further east to just past what is now M-291 as I seem to recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City