Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 09:38 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
214 Holman Barber/Crown Beauty Shop
No Address Given and I dont recognize the building.

Truman Places - Barber shops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
LEGACY BUSINESS CENTER - Misc. Business Services - Independence, MO 64050

This is a restored Garvey Chevrolet building, which was also the Bostian Chevrolet Building.

I viewed the back of the building facing on Lexington and it appears to be something else, hard to tell.

I cannot for the life of me recall Bostian, even though my grandparents lived just 4 blocks down W. Maple and it would have been on the way to The Square. Nor does the building look familiar even though it's right in the heart of everything else around there that I remember: Methodist Church, Granada, Diamond Bowl, Skelly. How I can miss that beats me.

Here is link for Rodekopf once out on Winner Rd. Long page mostly with racing pics, so scroll down near the bottom for more ads, complete with TEmple and CLifton phone prefixes!

Super Stock AMX .com - #50 Kansas City AMC/Rodekopf

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 06-02-2012 at 09:50 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
No Address Given and I dont recognize the building.

Truman Places - Barber shops

I don't recognize it either but the site says 417 W. Maple.

Go to Google Streetview. Good shot of it and it is physically connected to Legacy Business Center.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 06-02-2012 at 10:14 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 10:11 AM

He (Rodekopf) was on the Winner Road location at the time.

I noted the date was 1970. And I am thinking that during the late fifties when we patronized the Englewood theater, it was Rodekopf-Clipper AMC at that same location on Winner Rd. Maybe that was his dad.

I also ran across an item saying that Rodekopf was a Packard dealer in Independence. I don't remember a Packard dealer being in Independence, though.

Packard went out about 1957.

I believe I can now spell Rodekopf without looking it up--chuckle.

I remember when the Temple phone numbers starting being assigned thinking that Independence was really growing.

I also remember the Clifton numbers but we had an IN number.

Over the years when my folks lived in Independence the number was first assigned as IN 5331, then IN 1-5331 and then 373-5331. Originally, the number was on a 4-line party system. Every time you or any one of the four parties received a call, the phone rang in each house. As near as I can recall, the signal was one ring for party one, two rings for party two, three rings for party three, etc. There might have been some long and short rings involved though to shorten it up.

Back then the phone was not used that much so all the rings did not really bother anyone. However, one had to wait a short time to determine which house the call was really for.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 AM

Default William Chrisman High School (Continued)

Mr. Ward was a history teacher and something of a card.

He had a saying that he repeated many times: “Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see.”

We fifteen year olds did not really understand what he was saying.

MSGT Taylor had a saying that drew laughs but I never understood the meaning, “If it takes a hen and a half a day and a half to lay an egg and a half, how many pancakes does it take to shingle a dog house.”

Never understood where he was going with that.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Default Body of Patricia Jones

I have got caught up with the Sharon Kinne story. Enough so that after fifteen years I am re-reading the book.

I have made an error in talking about the case. Patricia Jones body was not dumped by Sharon Kinne on Crackerneck Road as I have stated.

Patricia Jones was actually shot four times on Phelps Road about one-half mile south of 39th Street and left there. At the time that was outside the city limits and the shooting was near an abandoned farm house.

T
here is mention of Sharon Kinne parking with her lovers on a lover's lane off Lees Summit Road. There is no road name mentioned but I must have assumed Crackerneck Road since I was aware that that was a lover's lane when I was a kid.

So far I am half way through the book.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I have got caught up with the Sharon Kinne story. Enough so that after fifteen years I am re-reading the book.

I have made an error in talking about the case. Patricia Jones body was not dumped by Sharon Kinne on Crackerneck Road as I have stated.

Patricia Jones was actually shot four times on Phelps Road about one-half mile south of 39th Street and left there. At the time that was outside the city limits and the shooting was near an abandoned farm house.

T
here is mention of Sharon Kinne parking with her lovers on a lover's lane off Lees Summit Road. There is no road name mentioned but I must have assumed Crackerneck Road since I was aware that that was a lover's lane when I was a kid.

So far I am half way through the book.
I've been looking thru some online sites about the Kinne case. Phelps Rd at that point must have been close to what is now I-70/Phelps. Hard to imagine that area being secluded but that was 52 years ago. That places the scene not so far from the old Wild Woodys site.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:10 PM

That area was less than a mile from where my folks used to live. And that area was all developed by the 1963 timeframe my parents moved into their new house.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Default William Chrisman High School (Continued)

Miss Piper was the librarian and she was no nonsense—as were many teachers. I would go to the library during study hall and she insisted I read and not scan a magazine. That drove me nuts. I liked reading Newsweek but I did not like having to read it cover to cover. I only wanted to read the stories that interested me. Even though there might be several people in the library reading she seemed to have eyes in the back of her head and could tell when someone was turning pages.

Mr. Cline was the mechanical drawing teacher. As I took this class, I bought my own drawing board and tee square so that I could take my time and make drawings at home and not feel pushed to meet a deadline.

Mr. Henderson taught bookkeeping. I loved that course. Mr. Henderson signed my yearbook and years later he was my college professor for an accounting course. He did not remember me.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:38 PM

152 posts, read 767,860 times
We didn't have a TV till '52 or '53 . My Dad's name was George and he loved wrestling so we used to tease him about Gorgeous George. I was a huge radio fan and if I'd known there were live radio shows emitting from K. C. I would've begged my Mom to take me to see them. Of course, my faves were Henry Aldrich, A Date With Judy, Fibber McGee and Molly, Baby Snooks, Red Skelton, etc.

So glad to learn all about those railroad tracks South of the square. They always fascinated me. The Memorial Bldg. was where we had our basketball games and Senior Dance. I am upset that they call it Truman now. Why can't they leave things alone?

Loved those dime stores, too! We did a lot of shopping there. More later, folks. Wrecked our car and have been car-shopping in a rental for two weeks. Exhausting!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City