Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2012, 11:21 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times

Advertisements

"Delorme Maps still labels this small area in small letters as East Independence.

The street segments in that small area are labeled Main, Elizabeth, Ann, Turner, 8th, 9th, and Independence."

I Googled "East Independence" and the first link took me to a map right there, so it's at least in someone's database as "EI"

I see the section of Crackerneck you're talking about. I followed Streetview a ways east and you can see sections and sides of the road that are still undeveloped, so I can see how that could have been secluded back in time. I had forgotten about the Kinne story until you mentioned it, and in doing some reading, it lasted over several years. It was hot news there for a while, then I guess took off again with subsequent trials. Interesting one of her attorneys, James Quinn, opined she was knocked off in connection with the escape from prison. Others think it might have been a diversion from looking for her elsewhere, be it in Mexico or Alaska where she was said to have relatives. Crazy stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Default The Castle

Around 2006, I drove into Independence off I-435 taking the Truman Road exit. I was excited because I would be able to see “The Castle” for the first time in many years.

Driving by where I thought it was I could see nothing even resembling it. I was then confused, thought I was getting old and could not find things, etc.

Then I learned it had been gone for quite a while. What a shock.

Coming into Independence on Truman Road was the Watt Webb Castle across the street from Mount Washington Cemetery and near the stone arch bridge. It was a very intriguing place to look at as we drove by as kids but back then no one seemed to know anything about it.

We always called it The Castle. The Castle was about 2.5 miles west of the Square.

The Castle was built in 1904 or maybe in 1893 or 1898 and it may have been moved stone by stone from England or from Germany depending on the source.

The 16-room Castle did not have a moat but it did have a pond.

Watt Webb the founder of the Missouri Savings Bank built the castle on thirty acres of mostly high ground. It also had a carriage house.

The Missouri Savings Bank became Missouri Bank and Trust and is still in existence.

Webb’s family lived on Troost Street in Kansas City and The Castle served as a country home.

Webb sold it in 1910 and then it changed hands a number of times.

The Castle was used in the sixties and seventies as a haunted house at Halloween. In 1977 it burned (somehow) and then was reportedly razed.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

I see the section of Crackerneck you're talking about. I followed Streetview a ways east and you can see sections and sides of the road that are still undeveloped, so I can see how that could have been secluded back in time. I had forgotten about the Kinne story until you mentioned it, and in doing some reading, it lasted over several years. It was hot news there for a while, then I guess took off again with subsequent trials. Interesting one of her attorneys, James Quinn, opined she was knocked off in connection with the escape from prison. Others think it might have been a diversion from looking for her elsewhere, be it in Mexico or Alaska where she was said to have relatives. Crazy stuff.
While incarcerated in connection with murder, Sharon Kinne got married.

Her "husband" was Margaret Dorothy Hopkins, a fellow inmate. It was a mock ceremony.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Default Independence Memorial Airport

Notes on the defunct Independence Memorial Airport.

No indication as to the significance of the word “Memorial.”

Was in the area of R.D. Mize Road and Little Blue Parkway, 5.5 miles southeast of the square.

Built around 1946.

Female owner who also owned the adjacent Horseshoe Lake and Grocery Store.

Had a 2400 foot runway plus a 2375 foot runway, plus a pilot school.

Aircraft accidents at the airport reported in 1993, 1994, and 1998.

Closed in the early 2000s.

Remnants of one north-south runway can be seen along the Little Blue Parkway.

City of Independence at one time proposed to make a regional airport out of the site but the proposal did not go very far.

City of Independence has also proposed a regional airport around Atherton but this proposal is apparently dead.

Old 06-01-2012, 06:18 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
I'm sure glad you joined in Dallas, you can keep WCHS company while I work!

My mother-in-law took typing with Miss Page in 1941, she also taught shorthand that year according to the '41 Gleam. The Gleam from 1942 shows Jessie Page teaching Social Studies and helping with the Commercial Department and Commercial Club. Witthar and Clement aren't around that year. I remember Miss Clement in my days, but I did not have a class with her.

I visited the Genealogy Library last evening and found some info to prove that both of you are correct about the locations of car dealers. The 1960 Polk's Directory shows the following:

Guy Hinkle Motors- 216 N Main (now a parking lot)
Moody Motors- 515-609 W Lexington (the building currently at 609 looks like it could have been a dealership)
Rodekopf Motors- 813-815 W Lexington (now a parking lot)
Galen Boyer Motors- 907 W Lexington (ditto)

Also I checked the area north of the old hotel. Those listings are:
North Liberty
214-216 Wyandotte Furniture
218 Bullard Maytag Appliances
220 Holte's Infant and Childrens Shop
222 AAA Sewing Machines
224 Santa Fe Glass (still around, now on East Lexington)
Nothing on the odd side of the street north of the hotel

North Main
214 Holman Barber/Crown Beauty Shop
216 Guy Hinkle Motors

The only listing on Truman Road in that section was 224 W Truman- Holly & Wayne's Gulf Service Station and 322 W Truman was vacant.

Speaking of car dealers, the 1930 Gleam has a number of them sponsoring the book:
Garvey Chevrolet- 409-13 W Maple
Jackson County Motors 319 W Maple selling Graham and Paige automobiles.
Smith Motor Company 313-315 W Maple selling Ford
Bradley & Schulenberg Motor Company 314-322 W Maple selling Buick

Old 06-01-2012, 08:56 PM

MAD,

Good Going with the research! Some of those dealer addresses are getting closer to the place I am thinking of across from the Granada-chuckle.

I have some more remembrances of WCHS teachers that I will post later.

Things do not seem to change at all when you are young but as you get older you really can see a lot of changes that have taken place.

I remember the name Guy Hinkle. Also remember Rodekopf, he moved to across from Englewood theater on Winner Road. Then it was Clipper-Rodekopf, I think.

Thanks for those places north of Maple. I remember the name Bullard Maytag but could not tell you much else.

I wonder if Santa Fe Glass was a franchise? We had one here in Colorado when I moved here. Maybe it is just a coincidence.

Old 06-01-2012, 09:08 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Yes MAD thank you. I was going MAD thinking for sure GB Pontiac was right there once you crossed River Rd towards The Square. Must have been a whole row of dealerships there at one time. The old Moody location does look like windows from either the showroom, or as I believe, the windowed garage doors to the service area.

Judging from the aerial view, the RLDS acquired those properties and expanded its parking and facilities. It also looks like it knocked down all the houses along that block on both Maple and Lexington. A shame, there were some nice old homes where sits that vacant land all the way up to the old high school.

Bill Rodekopf Rambler I believe it was at one time. My bowling friend, Greg was Bill's son and in looking this up, I was sad to see that Greg had passed in 2009.

Guy Hinkle too sounds familiar (vaguely). The other businesses you listed draw a blank.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 06-01-2012 at 09:18 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Guy Hinkle Motors- 216 N Main (now a parking lot)

I just came across a site with a picture of a yardstick advertising Guy Hinkle Edsel at 218 N. Osage. Poor guy.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Default Moody Motors

Moody Motors Ford, Independence

Moody Motor Co Ford, Independence MO, 1965 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 06-02-2012, 09:30 AM

Default Garvey Chevrolet (Bostian Chevrolet)

LEGACY BUSINESS CENTER - Misc. Business Services - Independence, MO 64050

This is a restored Garvey Chevrolet building, which was also the Bostian Chevrolet Building.

I viewed the back of the building facing on Lexington and it appears to be something else, hard to tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City