Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2016, 08:58 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

When did the Missouri Pacific Railroad cease the Missouri River Eagle passenger train from arriving and departing Independence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
It all started that morning around 8:00 am and by 7:33 pm (give or take) was all over.
The last GM&O passenger train stopping in Independence left Blooming Illinois at 8:00am that morning.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:16 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
When did the Missouri Pacific Railroad cease the Missouri River Eagle passenger train from arriving and departing Independence?
My feeble memory thinks it survived into 1971, when Amtrak took over.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
My feeble memory thinks it survived into 1971, when Amtrak took over.
The Missouri Pacific Railroad Missouri River Eagle originally ran two trains per day from Saint Louis to Omaha via Kansas City and back beginning in 1940. It was the first Missouri Pacific streamlined passenger train to be pulled by diesel rather than steam.

The Kansas City to Omaha portion was abandoned by Missouri Pacific in 1965.

Missouri Pacific ceased operating the Missouri River Eagle on May 1, 1971, when the National Railroad Passenger Corporation took over.

The National Railroad Passenger Corporation does business as Amtrack, which stands for American Track. Besides operating in the US it operates into three Canadian provinces.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:11 AM

239 posts, read 257,612 times
I know this is a topic from a while back, but I can't seem to come to any conclusion to this! When was the "new" post office built on Lexington and when did they stop using the old one?

Quote:
I noticed in the advertisement that Independence Savings & Loan Association was at 210 w Maple. I don’t have a recollection of them ever being on Maple. The Direct Casket Company was at that location last I knew.

I misunderstood the question to begin with. I thought you were speaking of when the Post Office shed (according to Harry S Truman) was going to be built across the street on Lexington in the sixties. Truman said he used his influence and got a federal building instead of a mail shed. At the time I could not recall anything taking place as to who wanted to take over the old Post Office building but I guessed City Hall, as that seemed somewhat logical.

I wondered at the time what constituted a Federal building vs just a post office. Part of the reasoning was the military recruiting place on the second floor. I was in that building one time around 1970 when I had to go into that Recruiting Station and make a phone call using the military AUTOVON system. I don’t seem to have noticed any other federal offices. The AUTOVON (Automatic Voice Network) was a military worldwide system connecting every military base in the world. I dont know if it still called that or has been upgraded to something new.

I was not aware of the proposed swap in 1950 but It would seem the Post Office would have gotten the short end of the stick, or it would seem. The city might have also. Presumably, the old post office was torn down because it was in bad shape and was a maintenance nightmare. Both seem to have been built within a couple years of each other in 1910/12.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:07 AM

[quote=WCHS'59;43249080]From the Examiner, this morning from 1966, this week:

First tenants in the new federal office building here will be government agencies, the Selective Service Boards and the four recruiting offices, which will occupy the top floor. Rep. William J. Randall also will have an office there. The post office will occupy the first floor. [The Selective Service would have moved from the Memorial Building]

This was posted on March 5, 2016, and I think this is as close as it got. If the agencies moved in around this time that would make the opening about March 1966.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:56 AM

Dedication of the Post Office was on May 8, 1966. It had probably been open for a short time previous.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:33 AM

The Noland House was a hotel erected at Main and present day Maple streets in 1846. It replaced the Washington Hotel, built in 1838, which had burned down in 1845.

Smallwood V. Noland was the owner of both hotels.

This hotel should not be confused with the present day Noland House on Delaware near the Truman home or with the present day Noland House on Forest Street.

The Noland House achieved a fine reputation over its years of operation but during a 24-hour period in 1849, ten occupants died.

What was the cause of their deaths?

Old 06-19-2016, 11:50 AM

239 posts, read 257,612 times
May 8.... Harry Truman's birthday! Thanks WCHS!

Quote:
Dedication of the Post Office was on May 8, 1966. It had probably been open for a short time previous.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:12 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
The Noland House was a hotel erected at Main and present day Maple streets in 1846. It replaced the Washington Hotel, built in 1838, which had burned down in 1845.

Smallwood V. Noland was the owner of both hotels.

This hotel should not be confused with the present day Noland House on Delaware near the Truman home or with the present day Noland House on Forest Street.

The Noland House achieved a fine reputation over its years of operation but during a 24-hour period in 1849, ten occupants died.

What was the cause of their deaths?
A vacationing serial killer?

Chlorine leak from the hotel pool?

Rapid lead-poisoning?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City