Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 08:04 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,773,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
The ID Channel. Mine is on DISH

The series is "A Crime to Remember"

The Greenlease episode is Year 2, No. 8. Entitled "Baby Come Home"

A mix of film clips, stills and re-enactments.

Also saw "In Cold Blood" first in a long time. Early in, the culprits bus into KC there is a shot of McGee, south and I could read the sign painted on a building

"BA High Fidelity" Anyone remember that?

A few years later, Polks shows BA on 55th St in KC and no McGee address. Looks like building is long gone, "put up a parking lot"
I have not watched ID Channel in a few years. Will see if I can find that episode somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Most people are aware that President Eisenhower is considered the father of our Interstate Highway system.

What highway related title did Harry S Truman hold for about 20 years? (NO, It wasn't for Jackson County.)
Head of the Old Trails Association from around 1925 to 48 or so.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:42 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I do remember that screen shot and BA High Fidelity and I had been in that bus station several times in the 50's.

I was mildly shocked to see a BA store in the Buckingham Square shopping center (now torn down) in Aurora, CO, when I first arrived in the area in 1980. It was gone a short time after I came here.

There was a later scene in the movie where the two culprits were driving west on I-70 across the viaduct and they were talking about the overhead sign saying "Welcome to Kansas."

I believe there was also a shot of Minnesota Ave in KCK, back when it was a bustling commercial area

Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,121 times
Quote:
I have not watched ID Channel in a few years. Will see if I can find that episode somewhere.

The other episode I have taped in the same series is about drifter Richard Speck who killed 8 nursing students in the Summer of 1966.

Almost 50 years to the day. July 13. A real shocker, even more so since mass murders were almost unheard of.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-19-2016 at 10:57 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
Quote:
Head of the Old Trails Association from around 1925 to 48 or so.
How in the wide wide world of trivia did you know that?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
How in the wide wide world of trivia did you know that?
I had a seance with Harry....................

Old 07-20-2016, 08:47 AM

In 1945 President Truman took an automobile ride in Germany, en-route to a meeting with Churchill and Stalin. Who else of importance was in the car with him, and what topic did they discuss that would impact everyday Americans, and still does today?

Last edited by Mad Anthonie; 07-20-2016 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
In 1945 President Truman took an automobile ride in Germany, en-route to a meeting with Churchill and Stalin. Who else of importance was in the car with him, and what topic did they discuss that would impact everyday Americans, and still does today?

Harry said that he rode the Autobahn at the time, was impressed, and the Interstate highway system for the US was in the future. I forgot to ask who was with him.

As an aside, I had 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 XL in Germany. I drove from Heidelberg to Munich on the Autobahn, and there was no speed limit. I don't know if that is still the case. I was doing well over 100 mph in the left lane when a car at least a tenth of a mile back started flashing his lights for me to get out of the way. I moved to the right lane and then this Porche came zooming by at a horrendous speed.

The Autobahn portions that Hitler built were not as safe or as roomy as the Interstate system. The exits and entries shared the same pavement and were not as spread out as with an Interstate. But, while I was in Germany the government started adding more to the system. These were upgraded versions and rivaled the roominess and safety of the American system.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
The other episode I have taped in the same series is about drifter Richard Speck who killed 8 nursing students in the Summer of 1966.

Almost 50 years to the day. July 13. A real shocker, even more so since mass murders were almost unheard of.

Do you remember Charles Starkweather in 1958?

Old 07-20-2016, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Harry said that he rode the Autobahn at the time, was impressed, and the Interstate highway system for the US was in the future. I forgot to ask who was with him.

As an aside, I had 1967 Ford Fairlane 500 XL in Germany. I drove from Heidelberg to Munich on the Autobahn, and there was no speed limit. I don't know if that is still the case. I was doing well over 100 mph in the left lane when a car at least a tenth of a mile back started flashing his lights for me to get out of the way. I moved to the right lane and then this Porche came zooming by at a horrendous speed.

The Autobahn portions that Hitler built were not as safe or as roomy as the Interstate system. The exits and entries shared the same pavement and were not as spread out as with an Interstate. But, while I was in Germany the government started adding more to the system. These were upgraded versions and rivaled the roominess and safety of the American system.
On July 20, 1945, President Harry Truman and General Dwight Eisenhower raced along a German autobahn between Berlin and Potsdam to a summit with Winston Churchill and Josef Stalin. Ironically, although Eisenhower was to become known as the father of the interstate system in 1956, Truman was involved in the Federal-Aid Highway Act of 1944 which designated a 40,000-mile system of interstate highways. The other passenger of importance was also from Missouri, General Omar Bradley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City