Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 11:16 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
My husband and I walked around Slover Park today, suspecting that there used to be more to it. I Googled it and also searched this thread and found out that there was. Sad that the park is pretty much abandoned today. Only the stone bridge over the creek remains. The houses on Union St. along the east side of the park have that post-WWII Wherry housing look, but I suppose that they were HUD housing stock built during the urban renewal period.

Curious about the nearby Independence Academy that was previously the Extension Center. Was it originally a grade school that was repurposed as the Extension Center, or did CMSU (or CMSC or whatever it was called back then) build it expressly for that purpose? As I recall, Metropolitan Community College and maybe UMKC held classes there at one point, post-CMSU.
This 1957 view shows the amphitheater.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 01:46 PM

409 posts, read 293,274 times
How very interesting! Thanks Mad Anthonie.

I've enjoyed seeing the aerials you've posted before, too. Were these originally taken by the Planning Dept.?

Old 05-30-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
How very interesting! Thanks Mad Anthonie.

I've enjoyed seeing the aerials you've posted before, too. Were these originally taken by the Planning Dept.?
All of these were taken by the Department of Agriculture. Many other Missouri counties are also available from the State Historical Society of Missouri. The tough part is figuring out where each piece of the county fits.

Aerial Photograph Collection

Old 05-30-2016, 10:31 PM

409 posts, read 293,274 times
Thanks! You've obviously spent a lot of time figuring these out.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:54 AM

What is historically significant about the area seen in this 1957 view?

Old 06-02-2016, 01:00 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

That is Wayne City Road diverging from River Blvd. Wayne City Landing was around there some where. You can't turn on to Wayne City Road as it is closed, but you can travel on Cement City Road, which is closer to the river.

Did anyone ever see the "memorial" that was placed in the area for Wayne City Landing but was apparently destroyed by vandals?

Old 06-02-2016, 05:41 PM

The original was dedicated in 1983 and was destroyed by vandalism and weather.

This is a 2008 redication. The memorial is apparently on private property.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:56 PM

I am reasonably sure this is the location of the Wayne City monument. Google identifies it as the Wayne City Overlook. It looks to be less than a quarter mile from River Blvd.

I was at the gate to that private property about three years ago but was leery of driving on in. Of course I was not aware the landing might have been in that area or of the monument or I might have done so.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That is Wayne City Road diverging from River Blvd. Wayne City Landing was around there some where. You can't turn on to Wayne City Road as it is closed, but you can travel on Cement City Road, which is closer to the river.

Did anyone ever see the "memorial" that was placed in the area for Wayne City Landing but was apparently destroyed by vandals?
It is indeed the Wayne City Landing site, along with the overlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

I am reasonably sure this is the location of the Wayne City monument. Google identifies it as the Wayne City Overlook. It looks to be less than a quarter mile from River Blvd.

I was at the gate to that private property about three years ago but was leery of driving on in. Of course I was not aware the landing might have been in that area or of the monument or I might have done so.
I haven't been up that way for some time. I'll try to mosey past some day.

What else historically significant is associated with this area?

Old 06-02-2016, 07:45 PM

That overlook would have been overlooking this 1842 painting of Wayne City Landing. So, I wonder where the actual site of the town was below the overlook.

Based on that winding road in the right of the picture, no wonder they had a difficult time getting the merchandise up and onto River Blvd or up to the train, which came along in 1849.

I am wondering if that winding road can be pinpointed today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City