Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 03:16 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

What famous Buffalo soldier was born in Independence?

This person was born to a free black and a female slave, making this person a slave.

This person practiced a life of deception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
What famous Buffalo soldier was born in Independence?

This person was born to a free black and a female slave, making this person a slave.

This person practiced a life of deception.
Famous may be overstating the situation but she seems to be gaining in notoriety.

Actually the deception was only for a couple of years during her twenties but was a grand ploy.

The person’s name is Cathay Williams or Cathy Williams, a black female born in 1842. According to her, she grew up in Independence before she moved with her owner to Jefferson City around the time of the Civil War.

She is the only documented female to have ever served as a man in the US Army.

Her name in the Army was William Cathay.

During the Civil War, she traveled with the 8th Indiana as a woman doing cooking duties. In late 1866, she enlisted in the US Army for three years and was assigned to the 38th Infantry, a black infantry regiment that was one of four infantry and two cavalry units that eventually became known as buffalo soldier units.

Two years later in 1868, after an illness, an Army doctor discovered that the he was a she and discharge followed. She then became a civilian cook for the Army.

She applied for an Army disability pension in 1891 but was denied. She died in 1892 at about fifty years of age. Her burial place is unknown.

She received some fame when a St Louis newspaper wrote an article on her in 1876. However, her real prominence seems to have come just during this century.

A book has been written about her but the book is lacking in detail about her life, especially in Independence, and appears to concentrate more on the units she was with. At $11.99 for the Kindle version, I opted to pass.

Old 05-18-2016, 08:49 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
QUIZ TIME!

What Independence residence was cut in half and turned to face the opposite direction?

What Independence residence boasted a 6,000 gallon water tank and a 48,000 gallon wine cellar?

What Independence residence displays a vintage baseball board game?

What Independence residence was used as a stand-in for the Truman Home in the movie "Truman"?

Old 05-19-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
QUIZ TIME!

What Independence residence boasted a 6,000 gallon water tank and a 48,000 gallon wine cellar?

The Vaile Mansion. I guess that shows the owner's priorities!

Old 05-19-2016, 11:29 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Today marks the 59th Anniversary of the Ruskin Heights 1957 Tornado. A dark day in Kansas City
On the evening of May 20, 1957 the Ruskin Heights tornado, a seventy-one mile long, F-5 twister tore into the communities of Ottawa and Spring Hill, Kansas and Martin City, Grandview, Hickman Mills and Ruskin Heights, Missouri, leaving 39 dead and 531 injured. It rearranged the lives of everyone who crossed its path, including mine. My family lived in the heart of Ruskin Heights, the first post-World War II tract housing development in the Kansas City area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvNBTRJTSc

Old 05-20-2016, 09:40 PM

From the Examiner concerning 50 years ago (March 1966):

“President Charles de Gaulle has made up his mind to get all the U.S. Troops, planes and bases out of France by the end of the year. With the evacuation of the U.S. Forces go the Canadians as well.”

It was not only US Forces and Canadians that had to leave, it was the entire NATO headquarters consisting of around twelve nations that had to leave.

I had received orders prior to this time for NATO headquarters in Paris beginning in February 1967 for a three-year assignment. I was disappointed but my orders were still in effect several months later because no one believed de Gaulle was really serious—but he was. NATO was kicked out.

Around November, my orders were changed to HQ USAEUR in Heidelberg, Germany, where I spent three years prior to going to Vietnam for eighteen months.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:17 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
From the Examiner concerning 50 years ago (March 1966):

“President Charles de Gaulle has made up his mind to get all the U.S. Troops, planes and bases out of France by the end of the year. With the evacuation of the U.S. Forces go the Canadians as well.”

It was not only US Forces and Canadians that had to leave, it was the entire NATO headquarters consisting of around twelve nations that had to leave.

I had received orders prior to this time for NATO headquarters in Paris beginning in February 1967 for a three-year assignment. I was disappointed but my orders were still in effect several months later because no one believed de Gaulle was really serious—but he was. NATO was kicked out.

Around November, my orders were changed to HQ USAEUR in Heidelberg, Germany, where I spent three years prior to going to Vietnam for eighteen months.
In March of 1966, I was stationed in Wachernheim, Germany, where I had been since July 1964. In May of 1966, I left Germany for reassignment to Fort Irwin, California, which meant weekends in Manhattan Beach. Great six months.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Today marks the 59th Anniversary of the Ruskin Heights 1957 Tornado. A dark day in Kansas City
On the evening of May 20, 1957 the Ruskin Heights tornado, a seventy-one mile long, F-5 twister tore into the communities of Ottawa and Spring Hill, Kansas and Martin City, Grandview, Hickman Mills and Ruskin Heights, Missouri, leaving 39 dead and 531 injured. It rearranged the lives of everyone who crossed its path, including mine. My family lived in the heart of Ruskin Heights, the first post-World War II tract housing development in the Kansas City area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NvNBTRJTSc
I tried to get some aerial shots of the tornado's path, but those images are temporarily unavailable. I'll keep trying and post some once I get them.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
QUIZ TIME!

What Independence residence was used as a stand-in for the Truman Home in the movie "Truman"?
The Sawyer-Jennings home at Waldo & Delaware.

Old 05-21-2016, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
In March of 1966, I was stationed in Wachernheim, Germany, where I had been since July 1964. In May of 1966, I left Germany for reassignment to Fort Irwin, California, which meant weekends in Manhattan Beach. Great six months.
At that point in time, there was nothing called the High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle in use in the Army. (Humvee)

There was a quarter ton truck, 4x4, (Jeep) that had replaced Model T’s and motorcycles twenty some odd years earlier. Initial production cost was $745 per vehicle. The 60s version was prone to turn over with sharp turns and the driver had to pay careful attention. One did not need a key to start one of these vehicles. A simple lever on the dash board started it right up. No keys needed to be lost, but anyone could jump in and take off.

However, security was a problem and soldiers secured the vehicle with a chain wrapped through the steering wheel and around the brake pulled taught in a circle and then locked in place with a padlock essentially making the vehicle un-steerable after it was started. But, one had to know where that key was.

The High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle replaced the quarter ton truck beginning in 1983. The basic cost was $70,000 per vehicle without armor enhancements.

Now the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle is about to start the replacement cycle all over again beginning next month. Cost is $250,000 each without armor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City