Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2017, 07:58 AM

60 posts, read 56,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Rather than a ribbon cutting to open the new Lipton plant they did something more appropriate. Consider what was manufactured in the new plant, and there you will find your answer!
Threw tea bags into the Little Blue River?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 08:52 AM

60 posts, read 56,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Rather than a ribbon cutting to open the new Lipton plant they did something more appropriate. Consider what was manufactured in the new plant, and there you will find your answer!
My true answer is they served food, centered around their products, possibly including Wishbone Dressing. I like my first answer better though.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:27 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
What a Revolutionary answer, however, it is incorrect.

Quote:
My true answer is they served food, centered around their products, possibly including Wishbone Dressing. I like my first answer better though.
I didn't read all eight pages, but I'm sure they did serve refreshments. The refreshments were served after the ceremony. That answer lies within your answer...

Old 12-28-2017, 04:10 PM

44 posts, read 52,506 times
Quote:
No tea bags. They only made Wishbone dressings when they first opened. I believe the tea tower was built in mid 60's if my memory serve's me.

Old 12-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smh69 View Post
No tea bags. They only made Wishbone dressings when they first opened. I believe the tea tower was built in mid 60's if my memory serve's me.
Your answer also contains the correct answer...

Old 12-28-2017, 07:36 PM

Well that kind of narrow's it down. Apparently they gave away bottles of Wishbone. We lived a block away, and when they first opened, the entire neighborhood smelled like Wishbone salad dressing. Then when they started drying tea, the aroma was much more pleasant!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Well that kind of narrow's it down. Apparently they gave away bottles of Wishbone. We lived a block away, and when they first opened, the entire neighborhood smelled like Wishbone salad dressing. Then when they started drying tea, the aroma was much more pleasant!
Wishbone is correct, however you are using it incorrectly! They had a large wooden wishbone with ribbons tied to each side. Instead of cutting the ribbon to open the plant, they broke the wishbone. No word on whether they first made a wish!

Old 12-29-2017, 07:43 PM

I was not overly happy about the new plant. The plant was constructed in a cornfield where I played as a young boy. Fortunately, we were able to keep the West end of the field for our baseball field for many years there after, until they expanded and took over the whole field.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
I was not overly happy about the new plant. The plant was constructed in a cornfield where I played as a young boy. Fortunately, we were able to keep the West end of the field for our baseball field for many years there after, until they expanded and took over the whole field.
Kansas City Times, May 17, 1962

Old 12-30-2017, 02:49 PM

409 posts, read 293,329 times
I was going to ask if the ceremony involved christening the building by breaking a bottle of Wishbone dressing on it somewhere, as with bottles of champagne on ship bows.

The South Independence branch of Mid-Continent Public Library is now next door to it. When I was a teenager, that branch was on Noland Ct., next to a driver's license bureau. I preferred to go to the mothership (North Independence branch), which had a much more extensive collection.

Does anyone remember the big red barn catty-corner across the street from the plant? I recall it being a hardware store. I was very small (6 or 7) when I used to walk there with my brothers from our first home at 33rd Terr. & Grand. The draw was the selection of candy near the checkout line. Plus there was something novel about a giant red barn, even if it did house merchandising uninteresting to kids.

As for the CMSC campus, its existence was the reason that the Independence school district chose not to become part of the newly formed metropolitan junior college district. Some officials wanted to keep their options open to establish a four-year college here, instead. Decades later, they relented and the Blue River campus was built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City