Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 06:01 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Love the picture of Lexington!

I finally put 2016 pictures up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/independencesquare/albums

They are doing something with 300 West Maple (previously the Community Service League). I've heard it's likely going to be another restaurant?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/indepe...7666972552804/
I thought Polly's Pop was in the that building, possibly with a Mexican restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 AM

239 posts, read 257,354 times
Well Polly's Pop is in the building right next to it, which might be attached to that or a part of 300 W Maple, but it's treated as a separate building and it's been painted the other color. From what I've heard so far Polly's pop will be the different colored building and there will be a Mexican restaurant at 300 W Maple. I find that odd though given there's already a Mexican restaurant in El Pico right down the street. So not sure how it's going to pan out.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:07 PM

Happy Independence Day!!!

(Of course, everyday is Independence Day around here!)

Old 07-05-2016, 07:14 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times
I have not yet read the first page, but I am just commencing with "Harry Truman's Excellent Adventures, The True Story of a Great American Road Trip."

According to the hype, Harry and Bess sometime in 1953 took a driving vacation across the US. No one else was along. No Secret Service protection for ex presidents in those days.

They came home from Washington DC via train in January '53. So this trip must have been during warm weather a few months later.

I don't recall this trip when it occurred. In summer '53 I had just finished 6th grade and would be starting 7th grade in September. I was probably more interested in being outdoors all day everyday, riding my bicycle, playing sand lot baseball, wearing cut off jeans for shorts, and going barefoot.

One of the disadvantages of going barefoot was that feet became oil collectors from the annual ritual of chip and seal oiled roads. Bicycle tires picked up the oil and oil would be splattered on to bare legs and feet. The oil did not totally seal into the road until closer to the fall.

A family had to have a can of kerosene handy so the kids could clean their feet before going inside.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I have not yet read the first page, but I am just commencing with "Harry Truman's Excellent Adventures, The True Story of a Great American Road Trip."

According to the hype, Harry and Bess sometime in 1953 took a driving vacation across the US. No one else was along. No Secret Service protection for ex presidents in those days.

They came home from Washington DC via train in January '53. So this trip must have been during warm weather a few months later.

I don't recall this trip when it occurred. In summer '53 I had just finished 6th grade and would be starting 7th grade in September. I was probably more interested in being outdoors all day everyday, riding my bicycle, playing sand lot baseball, wearing cut off jeans for shorts, and going barefoot.

One of the disadvantages of going barefoot was that feet became oil collectors from the annual ritual of chip and seal oiled roads. Bicycle tires picked up the oil and oil would be splattered on to bare legs and feet. The oil did not totally seal into the road until closer to the fall.

A family had to have a can of kerosene handy so the kids could clean their feet before going inside.
I have that book and enjoyed it very much.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:47 PM

Mostly from “Harry Truman’s Excellent Adventures, the True Story of a Great American Road Trip” by Matthew Algeo.

Tidbits:

Harry and Bess Truman drove by themselves from Independence to the East Coast and back in July 1953. This was the only time in history that an ex-President has done this sort of thing.

When Truman left the White House he had only an Army pension of $111 a month. Unlike Bill and Hillary they were truly broke. There was no presidential pension at the time.

They ate in roadside diners and stayed in cheap motels.

The couple could not afford a more extravagant trip but they did take in some Broadway shows and appeared, by accident, on the NBC Today Show.

I recall that Eisenhower made the Homburg hat a nationwide fad. He insisted on wearing one to the inauguration and Harry wore one also although he wanted to wear a different type of hat.

Truman was the last president who could try to serve for more than two terms. He could have served an unlimited number of terms if the electorate was willing.

Initially, Truman’s Presidential salary was $75,000 per year but out of this he had to pay all the expenses of the White House. One year those expenses were $70,800.

In 1949, his salary was raised to $100,000 plus he was provided an additional $50,000 for expenses.

[today, the annual salary is $400,000 plus $50,000 for expenses, $100,000 for travel and $19,000 for entertainment. Retirement pension is $203,700 annually plus $20,000 a year for the spouse if she has no other statutory retirement and Secret Service protection. Additionally, $150,000 per year is provided for a staff. The ex-president receives medical care from the military but must provide his own medical insurance to pay the military for that care.]

The Truman’s Secret Service detail ended when they dropped him off at the Washington DC train station on January 20, 1953.

Eisenhower consented to let them ride home on the Ferdinand Magellan, the official Presidential train car which was armor plated with bullet resistant glass. Both Roosevelt and Truman used the car extensively, however Eisenhower used it a few times and got rid of it in 1958.

For the trip to Independence, the car was attached to the rear of a Baltimore and Ohio and a Missouri Pacific passenger train.

The Ferdinand Magellan was known as “US Car No. 1.” It is currently in a Florida museum.

It took 26 hours to get from DC to Independence.

8,000 people greeted him at the MoPac station on south Grand.

Another, 1,500 were at 219 N Delaware.

To be continued.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-06-2016 at 01:31 PM..

Old 07-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Looking at Pearjas new 2016 photo posts, I thought I saw something a little "weird" (new) concerning the Eastern Jackson Courthouse, the one on west Kansas street.

During the recent remodeling and renovation, it looks like the planners tore up the north lane of Kansas Street and made the street one-way east in front of the courthouse. Seems a little bush-league.

Does not look like a useful use of street space but I suppose they had no other choice. I suppose if Eastern Jackson County continues to grow, this courthouse can only go up, if that is possible.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:45 PM

Looking again at Pearjas photo, can someone say what the building is in background that the woman in red is walking toward?

Old 07-07-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Looking again at Pearjas photo, can someone say what the building is in background that the woman in red is walking toward?

That is the back of the law building at Kansas & Liberty (NW corner).

Old 07-13-2016, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Mostly from “Harry Truman’s Excellent Adventures, the True Story of a Great American Road Trip” by Matthew Algeo.

Tidbits:

Harry and Bess Truman drove by themselves from Independence to the East Coast and back in July 1953. This was the only time in history that an ex-President has done this sort of thing.

When Truman left the White House he had only an Army pension of $111 a month. Unlike Bill and Hillary they were truly broke. There was no presidential pension at the time.

They ate in roadside diners and stayed in cheap motels.

The couple could not afford a more extravagant trip but they did take in some Broadway shows and appeared, by accident, on the NBC Today Show.

I recall that Eisenhower made the Homburg hat a nationwide fad. He insisted on wearing one to the inauguration and Harry wore one also although he wanted to wear a different type of hat.

Truman was the last president who could try to serve for more than two terms. He could have served an unlimited number of terms if the electorate was willing.

Initially, Truman’s Presidential salary was $75,000 per year but out of this he had to pay all the expenses of the White House. One year those expenses were $70,800.

In 1949, his salary was raised to $100,000 plus he was provided an additional $50,000 for expenses.

[today, the annual salary is $400,000 plus $50,000 for expenses, $100,000 for travel and $19,000 for entertainment. Retirement pension is $203,700 annually plus $20,000 a year for the spouse if she has no other statutory retirement and Secret Service protection. Additionally, $150,000 per year is provided for a staff. The ex-president receives medical care from the military but must provide his own medical insurance to pay the military for that care.]

The Truman’s Secret Service detail ended when they dropped him off at the Washington DC train station on January 20, 1953.

Eisenhower consented to let them ride home on the Ferdinand Magellan, the official Presidential train car which was armor plated with bullet resistant glass. Both Roosevelt and Truman used the car extensively, however Eisenhower used it a few times and got rid of it in 1958.

For the trip to Independence, the car was attached to the rear of a Baltimore and Ohio and a Missouri Pacific passenger train.

The Ferdinand Magellan was known as “US Car No. 1.” It is currently in a Florida museum.

It took 26 hours to get from DC to Independence.

8,000 people greeted him at the MoPac station on south Grand.

Another, 1,500 were at 219 N Delaware.

To be continued.

Herbert Hoover, a Republican, was responsible for the 1949 erection of the fence around the Truman home.

Bess Truman’s father committed suicide in 1903 by shooting himself in the head.

The Truman’s bought the house at 219 n Delaware in 1952 by buying out Bess’s brothers’ share.

Bess Truman was a fanatical baseball fan and was known to have pitched a number of games in her youth.

Initial thoughts by the press was that the Truman’s would retire in Key West Florida. But they had to go back to Independence because they could not afford to go anywhere else.

Harry Truman wanted his library to be in Grandview rather than Independence.

Truman kept a collection of some 100 canes that he used when walking.

Truman's office number in Kansas City was published and anyone could call. His home number in Independence was unlisted.

Truman's papers that would eventually be moved to his Library were kept in four hundred, four-drawer filing cabinets on the fourth floor of the Jackson County Courthouse in Kansas City.

Truman saw his library as a research center for the benefit of small colleges.

Truman needed money just for his family but he turned down a sales manager job at $100,000 year (no actual work involved), and $800,000 for a one hour a day job. He also turned down having his name put on a brand of soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City