Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2016, 01:59 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
1966: Katz Drug plans a $1 million store here at the northeast corner of 39th and Noland Road. Another Katz Drugstore has been on the Square since 1948.

Who does not remember the Katz on the square? Chuckle.

I dont think I remember one at 39th and Noland, though.

$1m in 1966 works out to be $7.5m today.

Fond mems of Katz on the Square . . . one incident there my buddy and I still laugh about 50 years later
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 04:14 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
1966: Katz Drug plans a $1 million store here at the northeast corner of 39th and Noland Road. Another Katz Drugstore has been on the Square since 1948.

Who does not remember the Katz on the square? Chuckle.

I dont think I remember one at 39th and Noland, though.

$1m in 1966 works out to be $7.5m today.
The 39th & Noland store has been split into hardware store and thrift store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Fond mems of Katz on the Square . . . one incident there my buddy and I still laugh about 50 years later
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that police report!!!!

Old 06-30-2016, 05:21 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Somewhere in that vicinity, I recall going into an OfficeMax, perhaps in the mid8-80s.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Somewhere in that vicinity, I recall going into an OfficeMax, perhaps in the mid8-80s.
That's the building!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:51 AM

Someone sent me a private message the other day wanting to know if I had any photos of the Plaza Theater. I do not, but I referred them to a couple of 1950 photos in the book Images of America, Independence. Both photos were taken in the daylight and from a half block distance. I don’t believe I have ever seen a close up photo of that place, in which I attended many a Saturday matinee and a maybe only one night movie before it closed in 1952.

The matinees I saw featured Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Rex Allen, Allen "Rocky" Lane, Wild Bill Elliot as Red Ryder and Bobbie Blake as Little Beaver. A few years later Rocky Lane became the voice of Mr. Ed, the talking horse. In 2001, Robert Blake was accused of killing his second wife.

The one night movie was with my parents and starred Ester Williams, when she was in her prime. I did not care for it.

In 7th grade (1954-1955) geography class at Independence Junior High School, our text book that year contained a photo of Lexington Street looking west from Main. As near as I can recall, the caption had something to do with the proliferation of automobiles everywhere in the U.S. including small towns such as Independence, Missouri. And, in the shot, there is not a parking space available.

I found this photo on the internet and is, I believe, the same photo that was in the text book. The Plaza Theater is shown but is still half a block away. The marquee and island ticket booth can be made out as brightly lit. Just to this side of the theater there is a small door, which is the Plaza Theater Sweet Shop. Unlike the Granada Theater where one had to walk outside to the sweet shop, the Plaza version could be entered from the street and from within the theater.

Additionally, Bunting Hardware is shown. I do not recall the building being three stories but I think the hardware was only on the first floor. Sometime in the late 50s the hardware moved over to the Maple side of the square, where it had a larger space but apparently did not last long there as the square was slowing dying.

The current location where Bunting's stood is the dance pavilion next to the old Penny store and the current Courthouse Exchange restaurant.

Although there are many cars parked, there is no one walking on the sidewalks. They must all be watching the movie.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-03-2016 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-03-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Someone sent me a private message the other day wanting to know if I had any photos of the Plaza Theater. I do not, but I referred them to a couple of 1950 photos in the book Images of America, Independence. Both photos were taken in the daylight and from a half block distance. I don’t believe I have ever seen a close up photo of that place, in which I attended many a Saturday matinee and a maybe only one night movie before it closed in 1952.

The matinees I saw featured Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Rex Allen, Allen "Rocky" Lane, Wild Bill Elliot as Red Ryder and Bobbie Blake as Little Beaver. A few years later Rocky Lane became the voice of Mr. Ed, the talking horse. In 2001, Robert Blake was accused of killing his second wife.

The one night movie was with my parents and starred Ester Williams, when she was in her prime. I did not care for it.

In 7th grade (1954-1955) geography class at Independence Junior High School, our text book that year contained a photo of Lexington Street looking west from Main. As near as I can recall, the caption had something to do with the proliferation of automobiles everywhere in the U.S. including small towns such as Independence, Missouri. And, in the shot, there is not a parking space available.

I found this photo on the internet and is, I believe, the same photo that was in the text book. The Plaza Theater is shown but is still half a block away. The marquee and island ticket booth can be made out as brightly lit. Just to this side of the theater there is a small door, which is the Plaza Theater Sweet Shop. Unlike the Granada Theater where one had to walk outside to the sweet shop, the Plaza version could be entered from the street and from within the theater.

Additionally, Bunting Hardware is shown. I do not recall the building being three stories but I think the hardware was only on the first floor. Sometime in the late 50s the hardware moved over to the Maple side of the square, where it had a larger space but apparently did not last long there as the square was slowing dying.

The current location where Bunting's stood is the dance pavilion next to the old Penny store and the current Courthouse Exchange restaurant.

Although there are many cars parked, there is no one walking on the sidewalks. They must all be watching the movie.

Judging by the cars I'd guess this was taken in the late 1940s. Do you agree or know the actual date?

Old 07-03-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Judging by the cars I'd guess this was taken in the late 1940s. Do you agree or know the actual date?

No, but it would have to be pre 1954 in order to get in the textbook.

If you could read the movie on the marquee, it would be easy to tell.

If you are correct with the late 1940s, I could be in there watching Ester Williams.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:21 PM

That appears to be a ‘48 or ’49 Dodge or Chevy Coupe, third car from bottom on the south side of Lexington.

If the coupe was a ’49, one would expect to see at least one ’49 Ford in the photo, but I do not see one.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:18 PM

Around 1878, Woodrow Call transported the body of Gus McCrae from Montana to Texas for burial. He placed the body in a wood crate and packed it with lime. The trip was fiction but the drive was from around Miles City, Montana to Goodnight, Texas, a distance of 1,097 miles. Don’t know how long the buckboard trip might have taken but 1,097 miles at fifteen miles per day would result in around 75 days and in hot weather.

When I saw the Lone Dove mini-series, I scoffed and wondered what condition the body would have been in on arrival or what aroma would have accompanied the buckboard on the entire trip.

Some information on the web, though, says that lime is good for drying out and preserving a body.

Earlier in the real world in 1855, a man in Shelby County, Missouri in the northeast part of the state placed his son’s remains in a custom made lead coffin. He filled the coffin with alcohol and sealed the lead. After a trip to Washington Territory encompassing 3,000 miles and six months the boy’s burial took place.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:42 AM

239 posts, read 256,908 times
Love the picture of Lexington!

I finally put 2016 pictures up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/independencesquare/albums

They are doing something with 300 West Maple (previously the Community Service League). I've heard it's likely going to be another restaurant?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/indepe...7666972552804/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City