Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 PM

267 posts, read 158,452 times

Advertisements

It saddens me to hear all that. I never dreamed that would happen, and wouldn't have if not for the passing of Bob Gall. It started as 16 lanes, expanded to 24, then to 32 about the time I had to pretty much quit the sport. I had a lot of good times over the years...I really hate to see it go. Thanks for nothing AMF!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 08:41 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmouse View Post
It saddens me to hear all that. I never dreamed that would happen, and wouldn't have if not for the passing of Bob Gall. It started as 16 lanes, expanded to 24, then to 32 about the time I had to pretty much quit the sport. I had a lot of good times over the years...I really hate to see it go. Thanks for nothing AMF!

It closed April 1, 2018. From elsewhere on the web...

It is closed - I (Joe Gall) closed it with the help of Tim Taylor. Our parents partnered and opened it in 1957. My dad (Bob Gall) ran it along with manager Ed Hilligoss until 1985. Dennis Taylor was a TWA captain. Bob and Dennis also sang together in a popular barbershop quartet, the Merry Mugs. I literally grew up in that place. Many fond memories. A bit of trivia - while our parents ran it they never sold alcohol and it was the busiest bowling alley in the entire metro. Lots of church leagues, many thousands of league bowlers.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:04 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Personally, I have always preferred "GEEZER!"
I had a neighbor once who had that surname, though spelled differently. The first time I met him he shook my hand and said "My name's "Geezer" Hard time to keep a straight face.

A couple months later I noticed one day scores of "Elderlies" going to and from his/wife's apartment. I looked in the paper and sure enough, we had lost Mr "Geezer"

I felt like a scoundrel for making fun of him. Like I do again with this post!

Old 03-27-2019, 01:23 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It closed April 1, 2018. From elsewhere on the web...

It is closed - I (Joe Gall) closed it with the help of Tim Taylor. Our parents partnered and opened it in 1957. My dad (Bob Gall) ran it along with manager Ed Hilligoss until 1985. Dennis Taylor was a TWA captain. Bob and Dennis also sang together in a popular barbershop quartet, the Merry Mugs. I literally grew up in that place. Many fond memories. A bit of trivia - while our parents ran it they never sold alcohol and it was the busiest bowling alley in the entire metro. Lots of church leagues, many thousands of league bowlers.
Some of the Dinosaurs here will recall my family was long time patrons of SnS (30+ years). My first year of bowling was at Diamond, which had 8 lanes and manual pinsetters (pinboys). The next year was either the opening or second year of operations at SnS, which had 16 lanes and Brunswick automatic pinsetters.

I knew/know all the names previously mentioned. I had forgotten Dennis Taylor doubled as a pilot, he wasn't around much. But Bob Gall was one of the best businessmen around. Friendly, but efficient. He was up and down, here, there, everywhere. He ran that alley, picked good managers, employees and coaches, had decent snack bar food, and kept the place spotless. And I do mean spotless.

Agree with Joe Gall, over time SnS turned into a locally famous bowl. It had an incredibly loyal following. Many times it was hard to get an open lane for practice. One league featured late shift GM employees (?) who started at some ungodly hour and brought their own coolers/grocery bags of food and drink.

Maybe other alleys did it too, but SnS had professionally-done, bright white bowling bags with its logo, and the bowlers name printed on the opposite side. My Mom had one. So did many others, a testament to its following.

Forgot about the Merry Mugs

Even the pinball machines were good (although my favorite, The Golden Bells, was @ Sterling Bowl. Still available thru resellers, I see)

In the TV playroom we teenagers watched the Ed Sullivan Show make history when it hosted The Beatles.

Waxing nostalgic over many childhood/teen/early adult memories. Thanks to all who made that possible. RIP

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 03-27-2019 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-27-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Some of the Dinosaurs here will recall my family was long time patrons of SnS (30+ years). My first year of bowling was at Diamond, which had 8 lanes and manual pinsetters (pinboys). The next year was either the opening or second year of operations at SnS, which had 16 lanes and Brunswick automatic pinsetters.

I knew/know all the names previously mentioned. I had forgotten Dennis Taylor doubled as a pilot, he wasn't around much. But Bob Gall was one of the best businessmen around. Friendly, but efficient. He was up and down, here, there, everywhere. He ran that alley, picked good managers, employees and coaches, had decent snack bar food, and kept the place spotless. And I do mean spotless.

Agree with Joe Gall, over time SnS turned into a locally famous bowl. It had an incredibly loyal following. Many times it was hard to get an open lane for practice. One league featured late shift GM employees (?) who started at some ungodly hour and brought their own coolers/grocery bags of food and drink.

Maybe other alleys did it too, but SnS had professionally-done, bright white bowling bags with its logo, and the bowlers name printed on the opposite side. My Mom had one. So did many others, a testament to its following.

Forgot about the Merry Mugs

Even the pinball machines were good (although my favorite, The Golden Bells, was @ Sterling Bowl. Still available thru resellers, I see)

In the TV playroom we teenagers watched the Ed Sullivan Show make history when it hosted The Beatles.

Waxing nostalgic over many childhood/teen/early adult memories. Thanks to all who made that possible. RIP

You are absolutely right...not too many businesses run that way these days. I do miss it!

I also have one of those classy bags....they presented one to each of us coaches at the end of our first year of coaching. SnS was truly a class act all the way!

Old 03-29-2019, 02:12 PM

From The Examiner, January 30, 1963...

GRAND OPENING- February 1st.
Do the twist to the newest hits! You'll find the greatest twisting music here. So come on, let's twist with Chubby Checker, Joey Dee, and all your favorite twisters. See us and keep your record collection up to date.

OPEN 8:00 to 5:30

Your assignment, if you are brave enough to accept it, is to identify the name and location of the establishment opening on that date in Independence.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:29 PM

Serendipity Strikes Again!

An extensive modernization and expansion of Strike 'n' Spare was announced today by owner Bob Gall. Eight new lanes will be created, upping the total to 24. The project also calls for the installation of a large league meeting room and the addition of another nursery. The present snack bar area will be greatly enlarged...

Gall said the establishment would be shut down for 10 days upon completion of the summer leagues to allow for remodeling... including a change in the color scheme and existing ball returns will be converted to the subway type...

Old 03-29-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

GRAND OPENING- February 1st.
Do the twist to the newest hits! You'll find the greatest twisting music here. So come on, let's twist with Chubby Checker, Joey Dee, and all your favorite twisters. See us and keep your record collection up to date.

OPEN 8:00 to 5:30

Your assignment, if you are brave enough to accept it, is to identify the name and location of the establishment opening on that date in Independence.

Cochrans??? Just off the square (where the Market is now)?

Last edited by dmouse; 03-29-2019 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: expanding

Old 03-29-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Cochrans??? Just off the square (where the Market is now)?

Nope. Follow the instructions allegedly given by Horace Greeley.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:28 AM

I got nuthin'.........I'm sure embarassment awaits me..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City