Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM

778 posts, read 1,025,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Do any of the old timers on this thread remember the unofficial holiday celebrated on the first Saturday in November, with variations, at many high schools and colleges?

A man with the unlikely first name of Hekzebiah started the holiday.

William Chrisman High School was one of those schools observing the holiday.

The holiday spawned a celebration that many girls looked forward to and probably the guys, also.

I suspect Sally36 has some fond remembrances.

I do also.

Are you speaking of "Sadie Hawkins Day"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Are you speaking of "Sadie Hawkins Day"?
Right you are.

Hekzebiah Hawkins started the holiday when his homely 35 year daughter, Sadie, was still unmarried and still living at home. He had to get rid of her somehow.

Of course, Hekzebiah could not have started the holiday without the help of Alfred Caplin, better known as Al Capp.

Capp introduced Sadie Hawkins day in his cartoon strip "Lil Abner" in the late 1930s. The girls in the American schools caught on rather quickly, although Hekzebiah's version had Sadie chasing a number of Dogpatch bachelors in a foot race. Whereas the school girls could ask any boy they wanted to a dance. I seem to recall I got a boutonniere from the young lady as a result.

Sadie Hawkins day went on annually in the comic strip until 1978 when Capp died. The celebration might or might not have lasted that long in the schools.

The 1930s was a simpler time and a number of popular comic strips had an influence on the American people.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Right you are.

Hekzebiah Hawkins started the holiday when his homely 35 year daughter, Sadie, was still unmarried and still living at home. He had to get rid of her somehow.

Of course, Hekzebiah could not have started the holiday without the help of Alfred Caplin, better known as Al Capp.

Capp introduced Sadie Hawkins day in his cartoon strip "Lil Abner" in the late 1930s. The girls in the American schools caught on rather quickly, although Hekzebiah's version had Sadie chasing a number of Dogpatch bachelors in a foot race. Whereas the school girls could ask any boy they wanted to a dance. I seem to recall I got a boutonniere from the young lady as a result.

Sadie Hawkins day went on annually in the comic strip until 1978 when Capp died. The celebration might or might not have lasted that long in the schools.

The 1930s was a simpler time and a number of popular comic strips had an influence on the American people.

I never knew the history of the holiday. Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:54 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
I never knew the history of the holiday. Thanks!

I knew it had Li'l Abner roots but that's about it. I think Leap Year's Feb 29 is now considered Sadie Hawkins Day

Still waitin for the hot, rich babe to propose to me Maybe 2016.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I knew it had Li'l Abner roots but that's about it. I think Leap Year's Feb 29 is now considered Sadie Hawkins Day

Still waitin for the hot, rich babe to propose to me Maybe 2016.

PLUS, she owns a liquor store!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Here is a cut and paste from Wikipedia showing notable graduates of William Chrisman High School:
If I may add another name, while not nationally notable, at least mentionable for his local connection:

Layle "Petey" Childers- Owner and operator of "Petey Childers' Prescriptions". Also, he was husband to Paul Henning's sister Drusilla.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
If I may add another name, while not nationally notable, at least mentionable for his local connection:

Layle "Petey" Childers- Owner and operator of "Petey Childers' Prescriptions". Also, he was husband to Paul Henning's sister Drusilla.
There is an oral history interview with him at http://www.nps.gov/hstr/historycultu..._interview.pdf

Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
There is an oral history interview with him at http://www.nps.gov/hstr/historycultu..._interview.pdf

If that's the one I've read, it pretty interesting. Even in his interview, you can tell that he's a low-keyed, laid-back, easy going person. His wife was the same way. I had been in their huge home on Main on numerous occasions, as my Mom used to clean their home. She had that job for 20 yrs until my Dad retired, and the folks moved out of state.

Last edited by SilverDoc; 10-19-2012 at 05:59 PM..

Old 10-19-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
What Wikipedia does not mention is that William Chrisman was a local slave owner.

As was William McCoy after whom McCoy grade school was named.

This is not a condemnation of either man. It was just the way things were back then.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:28 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Was there only one Rx location? I thought there were several around town. 10900 Winner Rd (just west of Sterling) Englewood Cafe/Theatre block

PC was a long-time sponsor of Independence little league football and baseball teams

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 10-19-2012 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City