Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2012, 07:27 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Good show.
Good show indeed! If there is a prize for perseverance, you win hands-down. Are you with the Chamber of Commerce? Probably over 500 posts in a single thread has to be some kind of record. I kind of get the idea you're a bit nostalgic for what was but sadly, likely won't ever be again. More's the pity. I spent my childhood in what I consider to have been a magical place at a marvelous time. It's difficult not to look back at times and lament what has been lost to today's youth. While not perfect, the times were simpler and I think we were all a lot happier.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 10-17-2012 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 07:56 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Good show indeed! If there is a prize for perseverance, you win hands-down. Are you with the Chamber of Commerce? Probably over 500 posts in a single thread pass to be some kind of director. I kind of get the idea you're a bit nostalgic for what was but sadly, likely won't ever be again. More's the pity. I spent my childhood in what I consider to have been a magical place at a marvelous time. It's difficult not to look back at times and lament what has been lost to today's youth. While not perfect, the times were simpler and I think we were all a lot happier.
Thank you for reading.

I am not with the Chamber. In fact, I live in Colorado about 85 miles south of the lady who started this thread. We have never met but we did go to the same McCoy Grade School. I suspect she was probably at McCoy when I was in Kindergarten, chuckle. At some point, we probably passed each other on the playground.

Even though a simpler time, I would never want to return to those days but I am very fond of growing up in Independence, Missouri.

One thing that I would wish for would be a resurgent Independence Square. It seems to have made some progress but I wish it could be bustling with shopping places like it use to be.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Thank you for reading.

I am not with the Chamber. In fact, I live in Colorado about 85 miles south of the lady who started this thread. We have never met but we did go to the same McCoy Grade School. I suspect she was probably at McCoy when I was in Kindergarten, chuckle. At some point, we probably passed each other on the playground.

Even though a simpler time, I would never want to return to those days but I am very fond of growing up in Independence, Missouri.

One thing that I would wish for would be a resurgent Independence Square. It seems to have made some progress but I wish it could be bustling with shopping places like it use to be.
Now that's funny; the fact that you're in Colorado. Makes me feel like a bit of a fish out of water. Here I am, originally from the left coast, but with brains enough to have moved to to Missouri a number of years ago in retirement. It's a marvelous state full of history and physical wonder. I can just imagine, almost, what it must've been like growing up here. One thing's for sure, the only way I'll leave will be feet first. This is home!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Good show indeed! If there is a prize for perseverance, you win hands-down. Are you with the Chamber of Commerce? Probably over 500 posts in a single thread has to be some kind of record. I kind of get the idea you're a bit nostalgic for what was but sadly, likely won't ever be again. More's the pity. I spent my childhood in what I consider to have been a magical place at a marvelous time. It's difficult not to look back at times and lament what has been lost to today's youth. While not perfect, the times were simpler and I think we were all a lot happier.

Crumudgeon....I readily admit this thread has make me nostalgic and longing for the simpler times and a culture that was vastly better than today. The one wish I have is a Time Machine. I would miss the technology, etc. but this has made me realize how little I appreciated what I had and what was available. Unfortunately, the Midwest doesn't have the best weather Nov-Mar and that often kept us homebound instead of out exploring and enjoying the area Also as kids even with bikes, some places were too hard to reach or unsafe to walk or bike to (e.g. lack of sidewalks and bike trails). Nevertheless, a bustling Square or a pool or impromptu sandlot baseball game on a hot summer day was certainly a thrill.

Coincidentally, I was fooling around on Wikipedia last night and wound up reading about what's called the "New Urbanization"- the trend away from traditional shopping centers and more to mixed use, open area, "town square" type developments. We have some here in Dallas. I guess you could say the old Square is a predecessor. Note the irony, it's like coming full circle. Where people could live, work, office, dine, shop, all within walking distance. The Plaza is another example. Today you typically find these with upscale housing not just built on-site but also in the vicinity and that would be the one thing I could see denying The Square the revitalization it desires: the few upscale consumer and office tenants that would be in proximity and in demand for a site in that location. I wish the old Courthouse could be better utilized to service the needs of the growing eastern Jackson County. Other than that I can't think of other ideas that might draw attractive consumers and tenants to that particular area, but hopefully the City is aware and considering revitalization plans on a recurring basis.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 10-17-2012 at 09:52 AM..

Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Now that's funny; the fact that you're in Colorado. Makes me feel like a bit of a fish out of water. Here I am, originally from the left coast, but with brains enough to have moved to to Missouri a number of years ago in retirement. It's a marvelous state full of history and physical wonder. I can just imagine, almost, what it must've been like growing up here. One thing's for sure, the only way I'll leave will be feet first. This is home!
I moved around quite a bit and eventually wound up in Wichita, Kansas, and then spent the last twenty years of employment here in Colorado and decided to stay.

I actually like the thinner air here at our 5,800 feet elevation. I think Independence is at 1,000 feet. Nevertheless, you can take the man out of Independence but you cannot take Independence out of the man, as the old saying goes.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Crumudgeon....I readily admit this thread has make me nostalgic and longing for the simpler times and a culture that was vastly better than today. The one wish I have is a Time Machine. I would miss the technology, etc. but this has made me realize how little I appreciated what I had and what was available. Unfortunately, the Midwest doesn't have the best weather Nov-Mar and that often kept us homebound instead of out exploring and enjoying the area Also as kids even with bikes, some places were too hard to reach or unsafe to walk or bike to (e.g. lack of sidewalks and bike trails). Nevertheless, a bustling Square or a pool or impromptu sandlot baseball game on a hot summer day was certainly a thrill.

Coincidentally, I was fooling around on Wikipedia last night and wound up reading about what's called the "New Urbanization"- the trend away from traditional shopping centers and more to mixed use, open area, "town square" type developments. We have some here in Dallas. I guess you could say the old Square is a predecessor. Note the irony, it's like coming full circle. Where people could live, work, office, dine, shop, all within walking distance. The Plaza is another example. Today you typically find these with upscale housing not just built on-site but also in the vicinity and that would be the one thing I could see denying The Square the revitalization it desires: the few upscale consumer and office tenants that would be in proximity and in demand for a site in that location. I wish the old Courthouse could be better utilized to service the needs of the growing eastern Jackson County. Other than that I can't think of other ideas that might draw attractive consumers and tenants to that particular area, but hopefully the City is aware and considering revitalization plans on a recurring basis.
MRG, I would like to borrow your time machine and go back and find out exactly when Independence Square went to one-way streets, chuckle.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:44 AM

HA, yeah well I don't know anyway to figure that out unless a Google search would happen to bring up that historical fact. Polk's doesn't indicated direction(s), only a street's starting and stopping points.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
HA, yeah well I don't know anyway to figure that out unless a Google search would happen to bring up that historical fact. Polk's doesn't indicated direction(s), only a street's starting and stopping points.
My last guess was 1955. Whenever it was there was a lot of coverage in the Examiner about the countdown. The police, city fathers, etc., were really worried about uninformed motorists crashing into each other on the formerly two-way streets.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
My last guess was 1955. Whenever it was there was a lot of coverage in the Examiner about the countdown. The police, city fathers, etc., were really worried about uninformed motorists crashing into each other on the formerly two-way streets.
MY GPs lived just a few doors down from the old WCHS and I always remember W. Maple as eastbound-only, but my earliest certain time-frame is probably 1960. I've mentioned before the drag races starting at River that roared up Maple late at nite and those were probably pre-1960

Old 10-18-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally36 View Post
When I was in high school, during the Fall football season , we'd have a fabulous pep rally. the team, our BEARS, the Pep Club, the cheerleaders and all the school-spirited students would amass in front of Willy Chris (the band was very likely there,too--can't recall) and march up Maple St. a few blocks to a lot near town where a big bonfire had already been started. All the while we were shouting cheers and singing. I believe Northtown--and Raytown, too--was our arch enemy so of course there sas a dummy with their name on it hanging above the flames!! It was soooo much fun. I loved the games and I always joined in all the cheers, yelling loud as I could.

In '08 was attending the Homecoming game and the pre-game parade and expecting the same school spirit but was sorely disappointed. The parade was limp, only covering Maple St., hardly anyone was there, and the game was pretty cheerless. Our Homecoming parades in the '50s circled the courthouse and were loudly fun and exciting, with all the townspeople crowding the sidewalks. What happened?
I think in the fifties, the sports league that William Chrisman participated in was the Pony Express League. Exactly why it was named that is curious, because there was only one school from St. Joseph (where the Pony Express began in 1861) in the league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City