Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 03:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,770,120 times

Advertisements

[quote=SilverDoc;26508393]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
It was completely erased and the site drastically altered. It is now the off-ramp from southbound I-435 to US 40 Hiway.
The last time I was at the USmile, it had gone through some major renovations on one side and was preparing to renovate on another side. With such serious rehab work I wondered who would have the resources to purchase it and tear it down for whatever. The answer would be the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,477,553 times
[quote=WCHS'59;26508669]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Straight line less than a mile slightly southeast from the end of Ninth Street in "East Independence," Delorme Maps shows a "town" of Adams right north of the northeast corner of Truman Road and South Butler Lane. There are no streets shown.

Does the name of Adams ring a bell for anything?
Not for me, other than the Adams that lived on North Spring and ran a seed company. None of my old maps shows Adams out there.

[quote=WCHS'59;26508688]
Quote:

We always called it "Zero Highway."
That could be, it is hard to tell if the map has O or 0.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:44 PM

Immediate north of the Lake City Arsenal and east of Missouri 7 is the “town” of Lake City. There is no straight and direct route from Missouri 7.

The streets are Heidelberger, Owens School Road, Vincent Street, Van Buren Street, Hedrick Ave, and Pine Street.

While stationed in Heidelberg, Germany, I read in a railroad magazine something about the freight station at Lake City, Missouri, the town. I had thought Lake City was just the name of an Arsenal, chuckle. So when I came home I went out to investigate.

There was a railroad station there with a “LAKE CITY” signboard but it was about the size of a large pickup camper. Even though it appeared to be well kept up, I thought it was closed. I began taking photos and then heard typing from inside. I left because I was actually trespassing on railroad property. I don’t have a clue as to what happened to the photos.

The station may have had something to do with the freight coming out of the arsenal.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:15 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,389 times
Not for me, other than the Adams that lived on North Spring and ran a seed company. None of my old maps shows Adams out there.

There was an Adams Station just south of Spring Branch Road (now Truman) and east of Holke. Later when I was a kid growing up just north of there on S. Jones Road, (which isn't on this map and runs north from Holke and Truman to connect with N. Jones Road) there was a old couple named Adams that were my neighbors

Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-1931-map-section-indep-mo.-not  

Last edited by SilverDoc; 10-14-2012 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-14-2012, 05:24 PM

[quote=SilverDoc;26509749][quote=Mad Anthonie;26509283]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

There was an Adams Station just south of Spring Branch Road (now Truman) and east of Holke. Later when I was a kid growing up just north of there on S. Jones Road, (which isn't on this map and runs north from Holke and Truman to connect with N. Jones Road) there was a old couple named Adams that were my neighbors

Isn't that something a railroad station named Adams.

Do you have a map showing the Lake City Station?

I just used Google Earth to find it but have had no luck. As i recall it was where the rails converged possibly going into and out of the arsenal. But the arsenal has only been there since 1940.......

Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;26509871][quote=SilverDoc;26509749]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Isn't that something a railroad station named Adams.

Do you have a map showing the Lake City Station?

I just used Google Earth to find it but have had no luck. As i recall it was where the rails converged possibly going into and out of the arsenal. But the arsenal has only been there since 1940.......
The town itself has been around for some time. I've only went back to a 1921 Jackson County map, and it is on there. I'll have to keep digging! In 1921, Owens School Road reached Lake City from the south. Today, with the arsenal being there, Owens School Road stops at the south gate, just north of Truman Road (Spring Branch Road) At one time, an Aunt and Uncle lived in a mobile home directly in front of the old school house. We had a number of Halloween parties in there!
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-section-1921-jackson-county-map.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:

That map also shows what appears to be the city limits of East Independence, Missouri, and the railroad skirts that town also. However, I dont believe East Independence was ever an incorporated town.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:34 PM

[quote=SilverDoc;26510485][quote=WCHS'59;26509871]
Quote:

The town itself has been around for some time. I've only went back to a 1921 Jackson County map, and it is on there. I'll have to keep digging! In 1921, Owens School Road reached Lake City from the south. Today, with the arsenal being there, Owens School Road stops at the south gate, just north of Truman Road (Spring Branch Road) At one time, an Aunt and Uncle lived in a mobile home directly in front of the old school house. We had a number of Halloween parties in there!
If that school house was on Heidelberger Road, it looks as though someone has made it into a rather good looking residence.

Old 10-14-2012, 07:01 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;26510709][quote=SilverDoc;26510485]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

If that school house was on Heidelberger Road, it looks as though someone has made it into a rather good looking residence.

I haven't been out that way in a while, but yes, they did a pretty nice job converting it. I just checked in the book "Jackson County Pioneers", and the earliest mention I found of Lake City was just be before the Civil War. A handful of people gathered in that area because of lake that the town was named for. Also.. "The town grew when the narrow gauge railroad, the Kansas City and Eastern was graded and built in 1875-76. The road ran from Kansas City, through Independence, and to Lexington. Four thousand people showed up in town on June 26, 1880 to attend the horse races south of town. In 1889, the Baptist Church was built. The town began to lose it's prestige when the Chicago and Alton Railway was built to Blue Springs and when Buckner began drawing the trade. But Lake City remained a mecca for duck hunters until the lake was drained about 1920. However, the community again came into prominence when in 1940, the area was chosen for the present day Arsenal."

Old 10-14-2012, 07:04 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:

Could this be the same "Adams" Family (yes, a pun) that had the dairy in the Blue Springs area, land ownership that might have extended that far north at one time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City