Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,768,063 times

Advertisements

There used to be a lot of doctors and dentists (and lawyers) concentrated in the square area.
I recall one of our family doctors was on the 4th or 5th floor of the First National Bank building. There was a pharmacy in the lobby of that building.

Another doctor my family patronized was on the second floor of one of the buildings on the south side of the square.

We always filled our prescriptions on the square, at least in the forties and early fifties.

We did not own a car until 1951, so if we needed anything we hopped on the city bus and went to the square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
There used to be a lot of doctors and dentists (and lawyers) concentrated in the square area.
I recall one of our family doctors was on the 4th or 5th floor of the First National Bank building. There was a pharmacy in the lobby of that building.

Another doctor my family patronized was on the second floor of one of the buildings on the south side of the square.

We always filled our prescriptions on the square, at least in the forties and early fifties.

We did not own a car until 1951, so if we needed anything we hopped on the city bus and went to the square.

Some of the DDS in 59:

Bowles, Victor Drumm (my orthodontist years later, I wonder if he's part of the Drumm Family) 319 W Kansas
Duensing, J Donald (Sally's dentist) 313 Medical Bldg
Callahan, Neil 302 Med Bldg
Allinder, Bert 419 N. Liberty
Mawhirter, Philip Jr 419 N. Liberty
Branstetter, Billy 203 S. Spring

Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Default More on Radio Station KIMO

Radio Station KIMO, Independence, Missouri, began broadcasting with 1,000 watts of power in 1947 at 1510 on your dial. Country and western was the format. KIMO was the sixth radio station in the Kansas City metropolitan area.

In 1962, the station became KCCV.
In 1989, the station became KIDZ.
In 1993, the station became KJLA.
In 1994, the station became KCTE and has a sports talk format only.

It now has 10,000 watts of power and broadcasts daytime only from two towers in Independence.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 PM

Default Radio Station KLDS

KLDS radio began operation from the Stone Church in Independence in 1923.

KLDS became Midland Broadcasting’s KMBC in Kansas City.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Radio Station KIMO, Independence, Missouri, began broadcasting with 1,000 watts of power in 1947 at 1510 on your dial. Country and western was the format. KIMO was the sixth radio station in the Kansas City metropolitan area.

In 1962, the station became KCCV.
In 1989, the station became KIDZ.
In 1993, the station became KJLA.
In 1994, the station became KCTE and has a sports talk format only.

It now has 10,000 watts of power and broadcasts daytime only from two towers in Independence.

I remember lots of bumper stickers for KCCV: Kansas City's Christian Voice

Old 08-10-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
This has already been mentioned, but now there is just one pharmacy around the square area that I know of - 50 Plus Pharmacy, which is located at 211 West Lexington. It's actually a good place to get your prescriptions. I don't know why they specialize in "50+" individuals, but I know you don't have to be 50+ to be a customer/get your prescriptions there, etc. It appears The 50 Plus Pharmacy is not in the location that any of the previous pharmacy locations were. Funny how things shift around..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Independence did seem rather "old" compare to the suburbs so I guess one could expect alot of pharmacies. Several were clustered in the same areas, The Square, and out on Winner Rd.

Bogart & Brown was at 131 W. Lexington & 10819 Winner

Bob Bunyar Drug Co. @ 121 W. Lexington & 10901 Winner

I guess the "BB" pharmacies were chasing each other!

Add Petey Childers at 10900 Winner.
Denton Drug @ 128 W. Maple
Katz @ 201 N. Main

Pearjas . . . 211 W Lexington in 1960 shows the occupant as the aforementioned MS White Candy & Tobacco Co. That business later moved somewhere else on The Square (Main perhaps). You're right there has been a lot of shifting. I'm also wondering if there's been some re-numbering of streets as well over time, which would make remaking The Square project all the more difficult for us.

BTW, I didn't see the Natatorium listed at 1400 W Lex in 1960 so I suspect it may have closed in the 59-60 timeframe. There were still several individuals listed west of the hobby store, so those must have been cleared out (as well as an apt. building) to make room for whatever business moved into that corner

Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 PM

152 posts, read 767,555 times
Dear Pear -- Plowman's was right on the square, maybe just one door down from and east of the old Penney'. Look in the phone book and try to locate him at home. i hope you do. i can't stand to think of what might have happened to his gargantuan collection ! If he passed, it should've gone to the Historical Society or a museum in town. Wonder where he got all those snapshots and photo's.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 PM

I never knew Indep. had radio stations !! Thought they were all in K. C. WCHS -- did you ever go to or hear of a Dr. Gard? Can't recall his first name but he delivered me and one of my Dad's favorite stories was anytime he ever ran into the good doctor he would apologize for nat having the bill paid up yet and Dr. Gard would always say kindly, " George, are you worried about it ? " My Dad would say ,"Yes, Sir!" Then the Doc would say ,Then I'm not worried about it."

Later in high school, I would go to Dr. Gard's office sometimes after school with a miserable cold, sit in the wait room with about 20 others, and do my homework while awaiting my appt. It was always nice to see him, our family liked him a LOT. I bet if I had stayed in Indep. and had my family, he would have delivered one or two of my babies. My first was born in '56 and second in '59. Then '60 and '63.

Don't recall our dentist's name. Probably blocked it out !!!

Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 PM

You guys are talking a lot about printers. Anyone remember Lambert Moon Printing on South Main several doors down from Lexington ? My Mom worked for him when she was young and after I came along she'd take me up there and he wouldd let us scavenge all his paper discards in the basement. I loved taking home pieces of all colors of pastel papers to draw on and make things out of. He was a great guy and I think he was still there in the '50s--not sure. Sort of across st. from Firestone.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 PM

Hey, I'm not even sure we paid $2.00 for our D L in the early '50s. More than likely it was one dollar ! I thought then that it was kinda crazy for the govt. to let us drive without knowing a darn thing about driving ! I used to drive my boyfriend's car every once in a while, but didn't actually learn how to drive until i had to start car-pooling at a my kiddies' co-op preschool in CA. Just taught myself !I know the guys tooke driver's ed in H.S. but I don't think any of the girls did. Of course it was optional then . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City