Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
The One Pump Gas Station had exactly that--one pump. He kept his price one cent lower than everyone else and in keeping with the times, an attendant filled the car.

I dont believe one could buy Ethyl gasoline there. Back then I dont believe you could get more than one grade from one pump station, while today each pump station usually has three separate grades available.
Remember the Standard Oil "White Crown" "Blue Crown" "Red Crown" and "Gold Crown" gasoline?

Back then every oil company had their own additives that made your automobile run like it was new, chuckle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Remember the Standard Oil "White Crown" "Blue Crown" "Red Crown" and "Gold Crown" gasoline?

Back then every oil company had their own additives that made your automobile run like it was new, chuckle.

Here is the Standard Oil Gold Crown. I think it was supposed to represent a King of England crown or some such.

I think Gold Crown was the most "ethylized" gas they had.

When one pulled into a Standard Oil Station each pump had a crown similar to this one on top. If I patronized a Standard station, I pulled up close to the White Crown pump for regular and I told the attendant to give me $1 worth of White Crown. I never could afford to fill up in the fifties.

However, I very seldom patronized a Standard Station because their prices, along with the other majors like Phillips 66 or Texaco, charged at least two cents more per gallon than the independent stations, such as Site Oil, etc.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 PM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,889 times
Quote:
Those motels along Highway 24 we have mentioned were all that were available in Independence back in the fifties. They were all mom and pops. There were no national chains.

The Earle Hotel was on the square but there was nothing else in town.

I think the Holiday Inn on 40 highway and Noland in the late fifties marked the first motel away from 24 Highway.
Maybe, but before the US 40 western stretch was annexed (I think the map shows in 1956) there were several Mom n Pop motels that I suspect were built before the HI. Li-Kome, Kozy Kourts, B-B Lodge Motel.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:08 AM

778 posts, read 1,024,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Maybe, but before the US 40 western stretch was annexed (I think the map shows in 1956) there were several Mom n Pop motels that I suspect were built before the HI. Li-Kome, Kozy Kourts, B-B Lodge Motel.

The first one was closer in on 40 hiway, ( just west of Sterling on the south side) the last two, were also on 40 hiway but were a little further west, (west of Blue Ridge Cutoff) towards K.C.:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-kellys-motel.jpg   Long ago on independence square-lupers-motel-c.1950-one-mile-east   Long ago on independence square-u-smile-court-40-hiway-.jpg  

Last edited by SilverDoc; 10-14-2012 at 12:54 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:

[SIZE=+3][/SIZE]

The Ethyl Corporation is a gasoline additive manufacturer. Originally Ethyl was founded as a 1922 joint venture between General Motors, DuPont, and Standard Oil of New Jersey (Exxon).

This logo was on gas pumps and/or the glass globes. People would soon learn that this symbol meant higher or premium quality, and therefore, gas with this additive was called premium or Ethyl.

Most, if not all of the major gas companies, and also the smaller ones, used Ethyl as an additive in their higher grade gasoline.
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-ethyl-corporation-sign.jpg   Long ago on independence square-ethyl-corporation-sign-1.jpg   Long ago on independence square-red-crown-ethyl-pump-globe.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
The first one was closer in on 40 hiway, ( just west of Sterling on the south side) the last two, were also on 40 hiway but were a little further west, (west of Blue Ridge Cutoff) towards K.C.:
Last year I went looking for the USmile and could not find it. It was apparently torn down. There were a few WCHS dinners held there after graduation.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:52 AM

At one time the business location on the northwest corner of 35th and Noland had a difficult time keeping a business in business.

The lot size is constricted because of the railroad tracks. Over the years a number of places moved in and then out. Access is restricted somewhat also.

A Sonic is at that location now. Cities Service was the first to go in there. That company is now Citgo, which is Venezuelan owned.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 10-14-2012 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-14-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Mr. Brown then went across Kiger and built a hardware and a dime store and service station on that corner displacing the ice cream place, which was not that old. The service station was run by a fellow named Stan who was Mr. Brown's son in law. I use to go in the back of his station and would select the best discarded tire he had for $1 when I needed a tire for my car. All these buildings are now gone.

Stan's Service at 23rd and Kiger (now Lee's Summit Rd) sold DX gasoline.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:25 AM

How about one of these:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-cities-service-sign.jpg  

Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,889 times
Quote:
Last year I went looking for the USmile and could not find it. It was apparently torn down. There were a few WCHS dinners held there after graduation.
There was a second U-Smile at 7501 Blue Parkway which would put it about 50 Highway "350" & 435.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City