Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 AM

2,372 posts, read 2,760,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
The first one was closer in on 40 hiway, ( just west of Sterling on the south side) the last two, were also on 40 hiway but were a little further west, (west of Blue Ridge Cutoff) towards K.C.:
Motels tended to congregate along US 24, 40, 71, 50 ("Blue Parkway") and N. Oak Trafficway up north. US 40 near what is now 435 had the ones you mentioned, also the Sky-Vu, Bluebird, El Rancho. Towards Phelps Rd was the Green Crest Motel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Probably for obvious reasons, not much has been said about the Kansas City Chiefs on this thread. The Chiefs may be losers today but once they once were a powerhouse.
I am listening to the Chiefs right now via the internet. So far they still have a chance. it is 0-0 toward the end of the first quarter.

Chiefs are on TV here now and then but not today. They are guaranteed two times per year on Denver TV when they play the Broncos.

Brady Quinn, former Denver backup quarterback, in as quarterback this week.

Oops, misspoke. 7-0 in favor of Tampa Bay at end of first quarter.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM

Someone mentioned some time ago that M-291 was previously known as 00 Highway.

Noland Road was US 71 Bypass in the early fifties. When the future M-291 was being built, it was built in phases and opened in phases. Completed phases were called Jackson County Highway 00.

When finished, US 71 Bypass was rerouted from Noland Road to the new roadway replacing Jackson County 00 and much later was re designated M-291.

There was a lone and small drive in restaurant (walk up only) at the northwest corner of US 71 Bypass and 23rd Street. It seemed to be a shoe string operation with gravel parking. Not much else, if anything, was at that intersection.

Cannot remember the name of the drive in but a runaway US Army 2.5 Ton truck went through a red light at 23rd going north on the bypass and crashed into the small drive in erasing it from doing business.

The business was rebuilt and the owner put up closely spaced vertical concrete pylons in front of his business to help prevent similar accident damage to his small building.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:00 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,325 times
Quote:

Noland Road was US 71 Bypass in the early fifties. When the future M-291 was being built, it was built in phases and opened in phases. Completed phases were called Jackson County Highway 00.

When finished, US 71 Bypass was rerouted from Noland Road to the new roadway replacing Jackson County 00 and much later was re designated M-291.

There was a lone and small drive in restaurant (walk up only) at the northwest corner of US 71 Bypass and 23rd Street. It seemed to be a shoe string operation with gravel parking. Not much else, if anything, was at that intersection.

Cannot remember the name of the drive in but a runaway US Army 2.5 Ton truck went through a red light at 23rd going north on the bypass and crashed into the small drive in erasing it from doing business.

The business was rebuilt and the owner put up closely spaced vertical concrete pylons in front of his business to help prevent similar accident damage to his small building.

The name of the drive in escapes me too. Dairy Swirl, Tasty Freeze or some such name. A gal I was dating in 1970 or 71 worked there. There was the Mobil station across 71 Bypass on the northEAST corner, and a Sinclair on the southwest corner. Sometime later, they built the strip mall on the southeast corner which incuded a Safeway, and a T.G. & Y. Now there's La Feunte mexican restaurant, a Cricket phone store, Worldwide Liquidators, Charity Thrift Mart, and Family Dollar in that same mall.
La Fuente Mexican Restaurant

Old 10-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Motels tended to congregate along US 24, 40, 71, 50 ("Blue Parkway") and N. Oak Trafficway up north. US 40 near what is now 435 had the ones you mentioned, also the Sky-Vu, Bluebird, El Rancho. Towards Phelps Rd was the Green Crest Motel.

Also, the Hyline Inn between Green Crest and Phelps, the Holiday Inn at Noland and 40, and the 40 Hi Motel approximately where Chuks Truks is today.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:49 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,962 times
Quote:
Last year I went looking for the USmile and could not find it. It was apparently torn down. There were a few WCHS dinners held there after graduation.
It was completely erased and the site drastically altered. It is now the off-ramp from southbound I-435 to US 40 Hiway.

Quote:

I dug into my old map collection and found some info on this. The 1956 Phillips 66 map of KC and vicinity shows Route O, (not OO) on the present alignment of M-291 from US 40 Hiway to US 24 Hiway. US 71 Bypass comes from the north on the existing M-291 path until reaching US 24, which it follows to Noland Road, then follows Noland south to Knobtown, where it turned southeast, following US 50 to the current south leg of M-291 running out of Lee's Summit.

Another interesting name change- Staples Road we now know as Salisbury. The map does show "East Independence" along Truman Road east of Route O. We were surprised to see M-78 labeled as 23rd St, rather than Alton.

Quote:

I think you are referring to this building. These were taken in the winter of 1982, just before road work began to widen M-291.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:16 PM

[quote=Mad Anthonie;26508032]It was completely erased and the site drastically altered. It is now the off-ramp from southbound I-435 to US 40 Hiway.

I dug into my old map collection and found some info on this. The 1956 Phillips 66 map of KC and vicinity shows Route O, (not OO) on the present alignment of M-291 from US 40 Hiway to US 24 Hiway. US 71 Bypass comes from the north on the existing M-291 path until reaching US 24, which it follows to Noland Road, then follows Noland south to Knobtown, where it turned southeast, following US 50 to the current south leg of M-291 running out of Lee's Summit.

Another interesting name change- Staples Road we now know as Salisbury. The map does show "East Independence" along Truman Road east of Route O. We were surprised to see M-78 labeled as 23rd St, rather than Alton.

I grew up and currently live, in the "East Independence" area. I live north of Truman on Jones.

I think you are referring to this building. These were taken in the winter of 1982, just before road work began to widen M-291.

Yep! That be the one! Thanks, Mad! I spent a lot of time, hanging out at that place, mainly waiting for my girlfriend to get off work. Boy! Sure brings back memories!

Here's a shot just west of that corner on 23rd:

Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-house-north-side-23rd-st-just  

Old 10-14-2012, 03:25 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,962 times
Quote:
I think the Holiday Inn on 40 highway and Noland in the late fifties marked the first motel away from 24 Highway.
I have a 1964 Holiday Inn directory. The 40 Hiway & Noland location was ran by Lewis Ostrander, a room for 2 persons ran $10-12. Other locations in KC; 8500 Blue Parkway, 1st & Broadway across from Downtown Airport, and Blue Ridge Blvd & US 71 Hiway.

Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM

[quote=SilverDoc;26508393]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I grew up and currently live, in the "East Independence" area. I live north of Truman on Jones.

Straight line less than a mile slightly southeast from the end of Ninth Street in "East Independence," Delorme Maps shows a "town" of Adams right north of the northeast corner of Truman Road and South Butler Lane. There are no streets shown.

Does the name of Adams ring a bell for anything?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:43 PM

[quote=SilverDoc;26508393]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

We always called it "Zero Highway."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City