Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2012, 07:23 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
You've stumped me on that one, WCHS.
I can recall when he was in a movie I would point him out to whoever I was with, but I was the only one who knew who he was. We are talking very minor parts. I often wondered if he felt he made the right decision to move to Hollywood.

His name was actually Owen Bush, sorry about that. WDAF TV sports caster.

See his bio: Owen Bush (I) - Biography

This was back in the time when the local news was ten minutes, sports five minutes and then 15 minutes of national news ala John Cameron Swayze.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 10-28-2012 at 07:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 07:37 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Okay here is one for you. He was a sports caster on WDAF, I think in the fifties. He moved to Hollywood and became a bit actor apparently giving up sports casting. I saw him frequently in bit parts. Dont know what he did in California other than act in minor parts. I think his name was Owen Saunders but cannot recall exactly.
You are thinking of Owen Bush. Born in Savannah, MO, he worked at WDAF in the 1950s before Robert Altman lured him to Hollywood.

Owen Bush - IMDb

Old 10-28-2012, 07:40 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Ran across this familiar name from the past. According to his Wikipedia entry, he is still with us at age 92. I failed to recall he was a long-time host on Night Beat:

In 1947, Bodine moved to Kansas City, Missouri, where he would remain for 65 years. He appeared on both WDAF radio and television, becoming an anchor, host, and news director for the latter. He left WDAF in 1965, moving to WHB radio ("Night Beat", 1965–74), and a few years later, also becoming KCIT's news director from 1969 until 1971. On KBMA television, he was host of "Bodine's Beat" and "41 Thirty" from the mid-1970s until the mid-1980s; he was on KMBZ radio from 1978 to 1982.

Edit: Wow, just saw this:

"It had to happen sooner or later and on Friday, April 27, the career of Kansas City media legend Walt Bodine, 91, will officially come to an end when he signs off for the last time on public radio station KCUR (89.3 FM).
It’s not like this day has not been coming.
Bodine, who has been in broadcasting a phenomenal 72 years, has been in failing health for years.
Walt lives in the same Plaza condo as a good friend of ours. He is still around, although now blind and in poor health.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
I can recall when he was in a movie I would point him out to whoever I was with, but I was the only one who knew who he was. We are talking very minor parts. I often wondered if he felt he made the right decision to move to Hollywood.

See his bio: Owen Bush (I) - Biography

This was back in the time when the local news was ten minutes, sports five minutes and then 15 minutes of national news ala John Cameron Swayze.
All right who remembers WDAF TV newscaster Randall Jesse?

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:

Well, I see in his bio that he owned an insurance agency. So much for him not making the right decision. He must have sold insurance to a good many actors, chuckle.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
All right who remembers WDAF TV newscaster Randall Jesse?
Here is a rather lengthy interview of Randall Jesse concerning President Truman. They actually became friends.

During the early 50s Jesse was a familiar figure on news television--WDAF because that was the only television station on at the time.

The interview gives some insight on Truman especially with the Benton Mural, the dropping of the atomic bomb, Nixon, Eisenhower, Jesse being the family spokesman, the news media paying 30-40 thousand dollars a year for news lines waiting for Truman to die, etc.

Truman Library - Randall S. Jesse Oral History Interview, December 23, 1975

Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Walt lives in the same Plaza condo as a good friend of ours. He is still around, although now blind and in poor health.
Whenever I saw a movie with someone in it called Bodine, I always thought of Walt Bodine, even though he had nothing to do with the movie.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:25 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

Interesting info about BRM from the first link:

"The "Concourse" level mentioned elsewhere originally consisted of two tunnels, one on either
side of Harzfeld's basement. One led west and terminated in the bowling alley and there were
public bathrooms at the bottom of the stairs up to the surface that came out where Safeway met
the rest of the Mall on South side. The Bowling was underneath the Safeway, in fact when you
went to get a jug of milk at the far back of Safeway, you could hear the bowling balls hitting
the pins right underneath you! That tunnel I believe had the radio station, the dance academy
and not sure what else. The other tunnel to the east of Harzfeld's branched out and connected
to the loading dock tunnel, next to public bathrooms, and it had Mall Security, the Nursery,
barber shop, shoe repair, small things."

Had forgotten about the bowling, Blue Ridge Bowl. Also the Safeway, and the other shops, save for the radio station.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 PM

At some point during the Blue Ridge Mall hey day, there was an aquarium sales place in the basement.

My folks had become interested in tropical fish so we went shopping there while I was on a visit.

The proprietor had a shark of some type in a tank. I cannot recall if it was for sale but it was in what must have been a 400 gallon tank all my itself.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:44 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
At some point during the Blue Ridge Mall hey day, there was an aquarium sales place in the basement.

My folks had become interested in tropical fish so we went shopping there while I was on a visit.

The proprietor had a shark of some type in a tank. I cannot recall if it was for sale but it was in what must have been a 400 gallon tank all my itself.
Another place I fail to remember!

More:

"Prior to BRM, they had shopped at places like Alton Plaza, the Independence Square, or
Downtown KC. In fact, my mom says it was BRM that "killed" the Indep. Square in terms of being
a shopping mecca. For those not from the area, Independence Missouri has a quaint antique town
square with the old County Courthouse in the center, with streets of quaint buildings and shops
surrounding it. Prior to shopping malls, it contained all the shopping, government offices,
utilities and other destinations for the town, enough to keep it quite lively. This all
changed with the advent of malls."

Damn, took business from Alton Plaza? Blasphemy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City