Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
1960 is the last year I have access to. Nothing under Mize, etc. Alton did morph into Blue Springs Rd @ 1200 Leslie and ran eastward all the way "beyond S. Kiger" I presume that is approximately where the city limits ended back then.

The Independence city limits were at approximately Woodbury when in 1960, more area was annexed east to 71 Bypass, and then east of 71 Bypass in 1963.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I might also say that as an eleven year old patrol boy, when it was cold outside I spent a lot of time in the Clark Bernard Drug Store, which was right on that southeast corner abutting the sidewalk on Noland and Alton. I was trying to keep warm. I and the other kid would alternate being outside in the harsh weather. But if there were a lot of kids crossing we were both there. We had our Sam Brown belts and badge and a special flag we used to stop cars--but the light was red for them anyway. We were not there very long in the morning or afternoon but it seemed like a long time at that age.
My Beloved remembers that building, but I don't. Does anyone have a photo of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
The Independence city limits were at approximately Woodbury when in 1960, more area was annexed east to 71 Bypass, and then east of 71 Bypass in 1963.
My 1947 Gallup map shows the east city limits at Leslie, going south to Aberdeen. Were there some incremental annexations between 1947-1960?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
My Beloved remembers that building, but I don't. Does anyone have a photo of it?

My 1947 Gallup map shows the east city limits at Leslie, going south to Aberdeen. Were there some incremental annexations between 1947-1960?
There were several other business buildings along with the drug store extending east along Alton. I dont recall any extending south along Noland. Barnards and the other buildings seem to have been more than one story, also. Perhaps with apartments above. The northeast side of the street had several businesses also. To me it looked like a small town with angled parking and the wall to wall stores. This was called the Noland-Alton business district.

The "huge"annexation that took place in all directions around the city in 1948 doubled the size of Independence. In the mid to late fifties, I would leave work at C&J United Super at Alton and Kiger and head west on Alton going home. The city limit sign showing a population of 36,000 and some odd along with a speed limit sign was at or about Woodbury for what seemed to me to be many years. But the 1960 annexation expanded east to M-291 and then the 1963 annexation extended further east to Lake City but did so in a wide narrowing corridor along M-78.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 AM

This may help:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-annexations-indep.-mo..jpg  

Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
This may help:
It does indeed! It looks like the 1948 annexation moved the limits from Leslie to about Woodbury.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:
Let's try this again! I may have submitted this photo before, if so......
My first thought was that it was in the industrial area around the old Gleaner plant.

My second thought was that it might be in the small industrial area east of the square.

My third thought was that it might be near the old gas company on 23rd Street. At least I dont think the gas company is there anymore.

My fourth thought was that I dont have a clue.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:31 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Let's try this again! I may have submitted this photo before, if so......

Elephino either. Looks like RR tracks embankment off to the right and I thought following some tracks would show the power transformer, but to no avail. And without the answer as part of this pic name, I'm screwed

Old 12-02-2012, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Elephino either. Looks like RR tracks embankment off to the right and I thought following some tracks would show the power transformer, but to no avail. And without the answer as part of this pic name, I'm screwed

Maybe I was too easy on you, Ha, Ha! I know at least ONE person who knows. And THEY'RE not tellin'! Should I tell where and what, or leave it up to that someone to fess up?

Old 12-02-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Maybe I was too easy on you, Ha, Ha! I know at least ONE person who knows. And THEY'RE not tellin'! Should I tell where and what, or leave it up to that someone to fess up?
Okay, I'll confess! I'm the one who knows that this is the old foundry along Gudgell between Osage and Spring.

Old 12-02-2012, 06:42 AM

How about an easy one for Sunday morning? Yup, I thought you'd like that. Enjoy this classic from 1982!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City