Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2012, 03:39 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I forgot to ask about Chutes Drive In. I dont remember them at all. According to the photo there was one in Blue Springs and one in Independence. The coupon expires in Feb 78.

Are they still around?

I know the one in Indep. isn't, and I don't think the one in Blue Springs is either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 03:42 PM

Anyone remember listening to this character?:
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-chickenman-poster.jpg  

Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
He was not around (I dont think) when I listened in the 50s and 60s. He might have got started when the San Diego Chicken became nationally popular.

I wish I could confirm the WHB Nightbeat fellow who committed suicide while on the air in 1960 or 61. I remember his name but I can find nothing about it except one slight reference to a WHB suicide on a web site that required a fee to enter.

I think in 1954, WHB carried the Mutual Game of the Day. It was a daily afternoon baseball game aired by the Mutual Broadcasting Company of a different pair of teams each day. I listened most everyday during the summer of 54.

Last I heard MBS became a black broadcaster company but I have not heard anything about the company in years.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Those photos remind me of how cold it is there {{{shiver}}}
Yup, we hit the 70s today. BRRRR!

Quote:
I forgot to ask about Chutes Drive In. I dont remember them at all. According to the photo there was one in Blue Springs and one in Independence. The coupon expires in Feb 78.

Are they still around?
They didn't last long, on account'a the food was lousy. It was a bit of a gimmick. The food was delivered via a conveyor belt and tray that ran underground to several drive-thru lanes. They had a lot of problems with spilled drinks. We tried it once due to the novelty.

Quote:
I was a fan of the Chickenman! I can still hear episodes in my head (at least I hope that's what those voices are!).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenman_(radio_series)

Old 12-03-2012, 04:39 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:

He's Everywhere, He's Everywhere

4 or 5 years ago I stumbled onto the great history (unbeknownst to me then) of WHB, which led me to ChickenMan. There is alot of info on the net about CM, I think it was a Chicago original and there is even a CD/DVD set available.

One of my buddies recently told me Miss Hellfinger went to Raytown but I've never been able to confirm that. Wellllllllllllllllll . . .

Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
They didn't last long, on account'a the food was lousy. It was a bit of a gimmick. The food was delivered via a conveyor belt and tray that ran underground to several drive-thru lanes. They had a lot of problems with spilled drinks. We tried it once due to the novelty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenman_(radio_series)
In the mid seventies, Wichita had a restaurant that delivered your order (inside) on an O gauge train set running on tracks around the establishment.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:52 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;27193667]He was not around (I dont think) when I listened in the 50s and 60s. He might have got started when the San Diego Chicken became nationally popular.

I wish I could confirm the WHB Nightbeat fellow who committed suicide while on the air in 1960 or 61. I remember his name but I can find nothing about it except one slight reference to a WHB suicide on a web site that required a fee to enter.

I'm tellin' ya, WCHS, it was Tom Jacobson/sen. I'll bet my life on it (pun intended). Some of the old DJs may still be around (Phil Jay, perhaps? He DJ'd a reunion for us in the 1990's). They'd probably remember hearing about it around the 710 water cooler.

ChickenMan was in the mid to late 60s as I remember it on WHB. The SD Chicken was a ten-years-or-more-later creation. In 1983 when the Kings were in KC he performed at a game at Kemper, and a former Royals player knew him from minor league days (he got us the tickets). Afterwards we went to Fanny's in Westport and partied down with The Chicken. Fun nite, really nice guy with lots of good stories about his exploits around the Hemisphere (his most embarrassing moment was in Puerto Rico). Not to mention he made a ton of money from his gigs.

EDIT: Just found this: "Tom Jacobson, formerly foreign
correspondent for Mutual, joins WHB
Kansas City as news-personality and
host of Nite Beat."

This is from "BROADCASTING" May 16, 1960.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 12-03-2012 at 05:34 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 05:28 PM

[quote=MRG Dallas;27194197]
Quote:
He was not around (I dont think) when I listened in the 50s and 60s. He might have got started when the San Diego Chicken became nationally popular.

I'm tellin' ya, WCHS, it was Tom Jacobson/sen. I'll bet my life on it (pun intended). Some of the old DJs may still be around (Phil Jay, perhaps? He DJ'd a reunion for us in the 1990's). They'd probably remember hearing about it around the 710 water cooler.

ChickenMan was in the mid to late 60s as I remember it on WHB. The SD Chicken was a ten-years-or-more-later creation. In 1983 when the Kings were in KC he performed at a game at Kemper, and a former Royals player knew him from minor league days (he got us the tickets). Afterwards we went to Fanny's in Westport and partied down with The Chicken. Fun nite, really nice guy with lots of good stories about his exploits around the Hemisphere (his most embarrassing moment was in Puerto Rico). Not to mention he made a ton of money from his gigs.

You might check here: WHB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM

[quote=MRG Dallas;27194197]
Quote:

EDIT: Just found this: "Tom Jacobson, formerly foreign
correspondent for Mutual, joins WHB
Kansas City as news-personality and
host of Nite Beat."

This is from "BROADCASTING" May 16, 1960.
One of these days, MRG, one of us is going to find the information. I got home from freshman year in college after that May 16, 1960, date. And the suicide happened later that year or in the following year. I am really thinking 1961 for some reason.

Mutual Broadcasting System went belly up in 1999.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:18 PM

[quote=WCHS'59;27195432]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

One of these days, MRG, one of us is going to find the information. I got home from freshman year in college after that May 16, 1960, date. And the suicide happened later that year or in the following year. I am really thinking 1961 for some reason.

Mutual Broadcasting System went belly up in 1999.

It was one of those eerie nights as a kid I just remember, but not all the details. I recall the announcement, the radio voice delivering the bad news, then telling my Dad when he came home. But that it happened while on air/on break, was what I failed to recall. I take it no one replied to your email at the site you mentioned? Richard Ward Fatherly would have been a great source, he was Mr. WHB. I tried to find his old site recently to no avail. Too bad because it had all sorts of trivia and info and a five minute or so audio of WHB jingles, news, and contest announcements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City