Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2013, 08:47 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,766,853 times

Advertisements

We have had some discussions on radio stations that we could listen to when growing up.

I am wondering if anyone remembers a product that was advertised all the time on the air in the early fifties.

The name was Hadacol and it was supposed to cure practically any ailment known to mankind.

According to one web site, Hadacol was a mixture of vitamins B1 and B2, iron, niacin, calcium, phosphorous, honey, and diluted hydrochloric acid in 12% alcohol.

A
rumor got started that it was a sexual stimulant. I heard adults talk and snicker about it, but I was too young to grasp the situation.

As far as I can remember the advertising was on all the stations and in the newspapers. I don't specifically recall seeing it advertised on WDAF TV, which would have been the only TV station in the very early fifties.

Jerry Lee Lewis even had a hit called Hadacol Boogie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 09:49 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,761,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
The info we have at our disposal today, could barely be imagined back let's say for example when I was a kid. We thought we had it made because we had a 1955 set of encyclopedias. The neighbor girl (and classmate) would be over at my house quite often to look something up for school. Of course we could always use the Mid-Continent Library and their resources. I often forget or at the very least, take it for granted, just how much easier it is today to do our research.
It's incredible what we have over just the last ten years. I remember 30 years many times combing thru crates of 45s at Peaches in Overland Park trying to find Oldies or endlessly taping WHB's 60s @ 6, 50s @ 5 and Saturday Night Oldies Party thinking this might be my last chance to preserve this music. Fast forward to tonite, I seeing hundreds of heavily discounted CDs, Beatles albums, compilations, whatever and think "meh" I will just go onto iTunes and download for a buck whatever songs I want. My YouTube channel is loaded with music, tv intros, movie clips, sports clips, fight song, all G-rated of course! Like the Prodigal Son, once lost now is found and there is rejoicing in my Trivia/Nostalgia Heaven!

I too would love to time travel. How often as I read these threads or look stuff up I wonder, why didn't I take pictures of that, or ride my bike down that street, or go into that store. As I said, I just so regret it wasn't taken better care of by the City Fathers. Nothing against the Church, but I hate seeing how its expansion leveled the south side of W. Lexington and thru to Maple. At least my GPs house was spared, but the house my parents lived in (Lex/Pendleton) the year before I was born (hint, hint) didn't survive lol.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM

778 posts, read 1,024,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
It's incredible what we have over just the last ten years. I remember 30 years many times combing thru crates of 45s at Peaches in Overland Park trying to find Oldies or endlessly taping WHB's 60s @ 6, 50s @ 5 and Saturday Night Oldies Party thinking this might be my last chance to preserve this music. Fast forward to tonite, I seeing hundreds of heavily discounted CDs, Beatles albums, compilations, whatever and think "meh" I will just go onto iTunes and download for a buck whatever songs I want. My YouTube channel is loaded with music, tv intros, movie clips, sports clips, fight song, all G-rated of course! Like the Prodigal Son, once lost now is found and there is rejoicing in my Trivia/Nostalgia Heaven!

I too would love to time travel. How often as I read these threads or look stuff up I wonder, why didn't I take pictures of that, or ride my bike down that street, or go into that store. As I said, I just so regret it wasn't taken better care of by the City Fathers. Nothing against the Church, but I hate seeing how its expansion leveled the south side of W. Lexington and thru to Maple. At least my GPs house was spared, but the house my parents lived in (Lex/Pendleton) the year before I was born (hint, hint) didn't survive
lol.

I agree! I remember going to Cochrane's on Osage, across from Velvet Freeze in the last 60's, buy my 45's, or to pick up the latest WHB "Top 40 Survey", L.P.'s, etc. Today, I have maybe a hundred L.P.'s left, (only because I have a younger brother that liked to "borrow"!) and haven't had a change to download the music that's on those L.P.'s, yet. Little by little, though, I'm getn'er done. I'm like you and wonder why I didn't try to record the yesterdays on film, tape, or film. Simple answer, really. I didn't care at the time! It took years later, when I had noticed my Great-Uncle had been taking photos around town, since the 30's, that finally got me to start taking more pics. Not soon enough, unfortunately.

You say you have a Youtube channel? Could you send a link? Oh, and as far as Pendleton is concerned, when I was at WCJHS, at gym class we would run from Lexington down Pendleton and across Walnut to the Campus. I remember all those nice houses we ran past. Years later when they decided that all of those houses were to be torn down, I thought, WHAT THE? Too many parking lots, and not enough historic homes, businesses.....

Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
At least my GPs house was spared, but the house my parents lived in (Lex/Pendleton) the year before I was born (hint, hint) didn't survive lol.
Are you referring to the house on the SE corner that faced Lexington? A school buddy of mine lived there for a while in the early 70s.

Quote:
It took years later, when I had noticed my Great-Uncle had been taking photos around town, since the 30's, that finally got me to start taking more pics.
If that uncle was really great he would let you post those photos here!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Are you referring to the house on the SE corner that faced Lexington? A school buddy of mine lived there for a while in the early 70s.

If that uncle was really great he would let you post those photos here!

Wish I could, but he passed over 10 years ago, as well as my Great-Aunt. Again, I didn't think of the photos until it was too late.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:20 AM

Independence owns the Vaile Mainsion, Bingham-Waggoner Estate, the Log Courthouse, the Pioneer Spring Log Cabin, Firehouse #1, the Truman Depot (Missouri Pacific), and the Memorial Building, and leases the national Frontier Trails Center.

Bingham-Waggoner is a city park.

Independence is divided into seven districts for restoration purposes:
Old Independence
West Independence
Southwest Independence,
Central Independence,
Little Blue Valley,
East Independence, (area east of M-7)
Transportation Corridors

Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:

as far as Pendleton is concerned, when I was at WCJHS, at gym class we would run from Lexington down Pendleton and across Walnut to the Campus. I remember all those nice houses we ran past. Years later when they decided that all of those houses were to be torn down, I thought, WHAT THE? Too many parking lots, and not enough historic homes, businesses.....
During the beginning of school in the fall and during late spring was drill and manual of arms instruction time for the ROTC department. There were four companies with each company meeting for a one hour class each day over a four hour time period. Each company had about 60 men and they drilled in the street on Pendleton. The ROTC department blocked Pendleton during these drill times. I can remember a sign stopping traffic off Lexington but cannot remember about the Walnut side.

During battalion formations, which were rare, there were 240 men assembled in battalion formation on that street. The formation covered almost the entire block long street.

One year I came back to visit my folks and decided to go over and look at the old William Chrisman. I too was flabbergasted at all those houses having been taken out. At first I thought the houses had all been condemned along some Urban Renewal lines but soon learned it was the church.

Then I began wondering how many years the church negotiated with some of the owners. They must have paid a premium in some cases and due to the number of properties involved, there were surely some die hard hold outs.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:21 AM

I just noticed on Google Earth that Pendleton Street now has a lot of nice trees growing where all those houses used to be helping to camouflage the huge parking lot. But Google also has west Kansas Street diagonally running south west between Pendleton and Union.

I am pretty sure that portion of Kansas was not there in my WCHS days.

Delorme Maps does not show that portion of Kansas--neither does it show Pendleton or Union Street or the "new" Temple.

And Delorme also identifies The Auditorium as the Morman Auditorium--oops.

I am doing to have to check that portion of Kansas Street out on my next trip.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
During the beginning of school in the fall and during late spring was drill and manual of arms instruction time for the ROTC department. There were four companies with each company meeting for a one hour class each day over a four hour time period. Each company had about 60 men and they drilled in the street on Pendleton. The ROTC department blocked Pendleton during these drill times. I can remember a sign stopping traffic off Lexington but cannot remember about the Walnut side.

During battalion formations, which were rare, there were 240 men assembled in battalion formation on that street. The formation covered almost the entire block long street.

One year I came back to visit my folks and decided to go over and look at the old William Chrisman. I too was flabbergasted at all those houses having been taken out. At first I thought the houses had all been condemned along some Urban Renewal lines but soon learned it was the church.

Then I began wondering how many years the church negotiated with some of the owners. They must have paid a premium in some cases and due to the number of properties involved, there were surely some die hard hold outs.
I had always heard that most of the people that lived on that stretch of Pendleton had willed their homes to the church, as it was said that most were R.L.D.S. members. Whether or not this is true....

Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I had always heard that most of the people that lived on that stretch of Pendleton had willed their homes to the church, as it was said that most were R.L.D.S. members. Whether or not this is true....
Hard to believe, wow, or unbelievable that someone would leave their home to a church, especially if they had children.

But that would be something between them and their church and no one would want to deny them the right to leave it to who they wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City