Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 11:51 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
The church has been there since 1859, and was used as a hospital in the Civil War. Is it possible the funeral home was where the back lot of the church is now? Perhaps it was used by the church for a few years before being torn down, thus the listing in Polk's.
Yeah I guess that has to be it. But I know the addresses were the same in Polk's as I did a double take when I saw the funeral home gone and FMC listed in its place.

Presumably the FH was torn down to make way for the lot. I imagine if I checked 1960 FMC would also be listed on Maple. Too late for that tonite!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 08:44 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
At McCoy School I paid either a nickel or fifteen cents for school lunch in the late forties.

I see where Ft Osage Schools has increased their price to $2.05.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
At McCoy School I paid either a nickel or fifteen cents for school lunch in the late forties.

I sure hope the quality has improved over that time

Old 07-12-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:

I recall it was 30 cents at RJH mid sixties. My buddy wanted to bust the mean lady who took our money so one day he gave her 30 pennies to see if she would get mad and make him stand there while she counted them.

Sure enough, on all counts . . lol

Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I sure hope the quality has improved over that time
You know what? I don't remember complaining about the quality of food in the school cafeterias until I got to college. Then the food was atrocious, I thought.

All I can remember about lunch food at McCoy School was the bottled milk. Whatever quantity it was, pint or half pint, it came in a glass bottle with a foil top over the opening that required a special punch to punch a hole for the straw.

When one got to the sixth grade, then one could be a cafeteria helper. It was a joy to be able to set the milk at each kid's spot on the long tables, then run down the seating lines punching those holes as fast as one could. This was before the bell rang for the kids to head to the cafeteria.

After all the lunches were served and the kids left and everything was cleaned up, the helpers got an extra dessert if any was left. I don't think the helpers paid for lunch either. Being a helper was a shared experience for both boys and girls in the two sixth grade classes and it was rotated. The helpers also got out of class for short times also.

If I recall correctly, most kids did not eat in the cafeteria but brought their own lunch and ate in the classroom, I think. Over the years, I probably brought lunch more often than going to the cafeteria.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I recall it was 30 cents at RJH mid sixties. My buddy wanted to bust the mean lady who took our money so one day he gave her 30 pennies to see if she would get mad and make him stand there while she counted them.

Sure enough, on all counts . . lol
At Independence Junior High, our cafeteria was in the basement of the Memorial Building. I dont recall what the arrangement was whether that cafeteria belonged to the school system or whether it was part of the Memorial Building.

We use to line up in front of the school at a railing on Pleasant and wait. Then someone, I can't recall who, would motion for the long line to cross Pleasant and walk to Maple and then to the other side of the Memorial Building where there was a basement entrance.

The only thing I remember about the food there was that they always served fish on Friday. I wondered why for a long time until some one told me about Catholics. I never questioned anything about the fact I was not at a Catholic school, etc.

Last year when I went into the Memorial Building I asked whether the school cafeteria was still there but no one knew anything about a school cafeteria.

William Chrisman High School on Maple Street did not have a cafeteria. You brought your lunch or found some place in town to eat within the time frame allotted.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:14 AM

You know what? I don't remember complaining about the quality of food in the school cafeterias until I got to college.

My two worst days by far in grade school were over cafeteria food . . . and no, they had nothing to do with it making me sick !

Old 07-12-2013, 06:24 PM

778 posts, read 1,026,318 times
Quote:
At Independence Junior High, our cafeteria was in the basement of the Memorial Building. I dont recall what the arrangement was whether that cafeteria belonged to the school system or whether it was part of the Memorial Building.

We use to line up in front of the school at a railing on Pleasant and wait. Then someone, I can't recall who, would motion for the long line to cross Pleasant and walk to Maple and then to the other side of the Memorial Building where there was a basement entrance.

The only thing I remember about the food there was that they always served fish on Friday. I wondered why for a long time until some one told me about Catholics. I never questioned anything about the fact I was not at a Catholic school, etc.

Last year when I went into the Memorial Building I asked whether the school cafeteria was still there but no one knew anything about a school cafeteria.

William Chrisman High School on Maple Street did not have a cafeteria. You brought your lunch or found some place in town to eat within the time frame allotted.
Later, when the new WCHS was opened and the former high school became WCJHS, they had a cafeteria in the basement. with a door on the east end that opened to stairs that led up to an alley at street level between the school building and the The Maples apartment building to the east.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Later, when the new WCHS was opened and the former high school became WCJHS, they had a cafeteria in the basement. with a door on the east end that opened to stairs that led up to an alley at street level between the school building and the The Maples apartment building to the east.
I was not aware of that. I do remember a lone door on the east side of the building, though--and would see someone come out of it once in while. Never did know what it was for.

My favorite eating place while in high school was at Brown's Cafe, a couple doors north of Katz Drug Store on Main Street. Four of us would run all the way up there after the bell rang, grab a burger and fries, and then snoop around the pin balls in Katz before heading back to school. Someone out of school was always playing those things.

That brings up a question. When did the new WCHS go to three grades? The first two years 58 and 59 it was two grades only.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 AM

The Examiner is saying today that the Jackson County courthouse on the Square will chime once again for the four face clock.

As part of the renovation that is going on now, the chimes will strike on the hour beginning on September 7.

There has been an attempt made to determine when the last time the chimes were working, but no one could come up with anything definite.

I know they were working when I was a kid in the late forties. I think they rang on the hour and half hour, though.

On a calm evening, we could hear the chimes from our house which was 1.3 miles by road from the Square and a little closer cross country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City