Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Here is a 1923 map of the Lexington Branch of the Missouri Pacific around East Independence.

It shows the rails going south of Lake City Road.

That appears to be Masso Spur going northwest around the word "BRANCH."

The map also shows a Staples Road to the north running into Jones Road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2014, 11:43 AM

I sure do not remember this railroad building on Osage between Maple and Truman. Does anyone?

That annexation mentioned in the first paragraph was not approved, although Independence does have some frontage on the Missouri River in Clay County just north of the Fairmount area.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:05 PM

I suspect the depot in the JCHS Journal photo is the freight depot as shown here in 1916.

The passenger depot is at Maple and Osage and in 1964 was the site of the Jackson County Library building and Montgomery Wards.

The small street the depot was sitting on is probably an alley.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:21 PM

320 posts, read 310,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Here is a 1923 map of the Lexington Branch of the Missouri Pacific around East Independence.

It shows the rails going south of Lake City Road.

That appears to be Masso Spur going northwest around the word "BRANCH."

The map also shows a Staples Road to the north running into Jones Road.
My first thought without research is that Staples Road is what is now Salisbury Road. If it is, I don't know the reason for the name change.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
My first thought without research is that Staples Road is what is now Salisbury Road. If it is, I don't know the reason for the name change.
That is correct. The Salisbury Family was prominent in the olden days, and lived somewhere along Staples Road, which was renamed in their honor. The Salisbury mansion was destroyed by fire on September 21, 1961.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:35 AM

Let's start the week with a mystery. Actually, three mysteries. Each of the tokens shown below was given by a local bank as a promotional advertisement. Your assignment is to name the bank for each of the items.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Let's start the week with a mystery. Actually, three mysteries. Each of the tokens shown below was given by a local bank as a promotional advertisement. Your assignment is to name the bank for each of the items.
With some degree of certainty, the first one is Standard State Bank.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
With some degree of certainty, the first one is Standard State Bank.

You are certainly correct! One down, two to go.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:

I sure do not remember this railroad building on Osage between Maple and Truman. Does anyone?

That annexation mentioned in the first paragraph was not approved, although Independence does have some frontage on the Missouri River in Clay County just north of the Fairmount area.

I sure don't remember it and one would think something as obvious as an old depot would be noticed and remembered. I question whether the 1964 date is accurate.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I sure don't remember it and one would think something as obvious as an old depot would be noticed and remembered. I question whether the 1964 date is accurate.
Disregarding any date, though, what could that tall building be in the left of the photo? It seems the freight depot was on the east side of Osage facing west but set back several feet from the street. If so, that building to the left would seem to be facing Osage at about Osage and Truman. I dont have much recollection of that area but it seems there might have been a furniture store at ground level at that location in the fifties, but I dont recall a tall building. Across the street from that would have been the Oldsmobile and then Edsel dealer and eventually Diamond Bowl. What would the City Directory have in that area?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City