Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 08:08 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Independence used to have a street named "Walter". What is the current name of that road?

Walter wasn't far from Summit Boulevard, which has also since been renamed. For extra credit identify both!
Mitty Street was close by, I understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 06:47 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Mitty Street was close by, I understand.
No, but Train Avenue was!

Old 09-14-2014, 06:42 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Sharon Kinne has her own Wikipedia web page complete with 99 footnotes. Last edited in December 2013.

She is still listed as "at large."

Sharon Kinne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I remember some of the TV news reports and the mention of a "lover's lane" which is probably the first time I heard of the term. Until you mentioned SK way back in a thread I had forgotten about her.

The Wiki article says the Kinnes lived at 17009 E. 26th, which puts it at 291 and RD Mize.

I am curious what auto dealership Jones worked at.

Quinn & Peebles. Also represented Mike Cline, the DVM's son who killed his pregnant gf Summer 1970, then disappeared, presumably to Europe living under an assumed name.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 09-14-2014 at 06:57 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
I remember some of the TV news reports and the mention of a "lover's lane" which is probably the first time I heard of the term. Until you mentioned SK way back in a thread I had forgotten about her.

The Wiki article says the Kinnes lived at 17009 E. 26th, which puts it at 291 and RD Mize.

I am curious what auto dealership Jones worked at.

Quinn & Peebles. Also represented Mike Cline, the DVM's son who killed his pregnant gf Summer 1970, then disappeared, presumably to Europe living under an assumed name.
Moody Motors

Old 09-14-2014, 07:49 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Moody Motors

Moody Motors, more deadly
Than the vainest knife

Old 09-15-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I had never heard of Kirby Bowl, nor that there was a bowling alley at that location. I wonder if it was torn down to make way for Moody, or if the building was remodeled.
Quote:
Amazing, home of Moody Motors Ford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Nor have I. I scanned several Polk's W Lexington pages and didn't see any Kirbys. I do believe Polk's, like many businesses, may have suspended operations (or moved to War-related operations) during WW II.
Quote:
I'll try to remember to check that the next time I'm at the library.
As promised I have visited the Library and compiled the following information from the available copies of Polk's:

1938 & 1940- 607 W Lexington did not exist
1942- Kirby Bowl (also showed Diamond Bowl at 209 N Osage, in both the name section and the street listings, which must have been an error)
1946- (the next Polk's they have) 607 W Lexington is vacant, thus Kirby Bowl had a rather short life. Diamond Bowl is now correctly listed as 209 N Spring.
1948- 515-609 W Lexington is Moody's Motors
Skip ahead to 1965, Moody's is still there.
1967 (no book for 1966) Jerry Hay's Ford has taken over that location.
1968- The Lexington location is now vacant, Jerry Hay's Ford has moved to Noland Road

Old 09-15-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
As promised I have visited the Library and compiled the following information from the available copies of Polk's:

1938 & 1940- 607 W Lexington did not exist
1942- Kirby Bowl (also showed Diamond Bowl at 209 N Osage, in both the name section and the street listings, which must have been an error)
1946- (the next Polk's they have) 607 W Lexington is vacant, thus Kirby Bowl had a rather short life. Diamond Bowl is now correctly listed as 209 N Spring.
1948- 515-609 W Lexington is Moody's Motors
Skip ahead to 1965, Moody's is still there.
1967 (no book for 1966) Jerry Hay's Ford has taken over that location.
1968- The Lexington location is now vacant, Jerry Hay's Ford has moved to Noland Road
Interesting, I am going to say that I did not know about Jerry Hay's Ford at that location but I was out of the country for four years around that time.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Interesting, I am going to say that I did not know about Jerry Hay's Ford at that location but I was out of the country for four years around that time.
I was around, but I don't remember it either!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Independence used to have a street named "Walter". What is the current name of that road?

Walter wasn't far from Summit Boulevard, which has also since been renamed. For extra credit identify both!
Quote:
No, but Train Avenue was!
I thought I heard someone cry "uncle!", so I'll reveal the answers. All of the above named streets were part of the 1887 subdivision Gudgell Park. Walter is now Dodgion, Summit Boulevard is now Noland Road, Train Avenue is Hocker. Also in the map below notice Myrtle, which is now Emery. However, there is still a few blocks of Myrtle that run east-west, just a few blocks north of here. Also notice Crane along the eastern boundary of the subdivision. That is now Kier, and Crane wound up a few blocks further east.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I thought I heard someone cry "uncle!", so I'll reveal the answers. All of the above named streets were part of the 1887 subdivision Gudgell Park. Walter is now Dodgion, Summit Boulevard is now Noland Road, Train Avenue is Hocker. Also in the map below notice Myrtle, which is now Emery. However, there is still a few blocks of Myrtle that run east-west, just a few blocks north of here. Also notice Crane along the eastern boundary of the subdivision. That is now Kier, and Crane wound up a few blocks further east.

On that map--on Devon Street about the fifth lot east from Pearl is where my folks rented a tiny, and I mean tiny, two room home when we first came to Independence in 1946 from southeast Kansas. At that time the address was 412 East.

That place had an out house, no running water, no electricity, and no gas. It sat on an open walk in, walk out block foundation. The kitchen stove and oven ran off kerosene. That was the only heat during the winter.

Housing was at a premium at that time and I dont have any idea how long we lived there but it must have been a couple years before they bought on the east side of town.

Actually, my mom rented it because my Dad was still in WWII service and intended to settle in Independence, where he had a sister living. The first time I remember ever seeing my Dad was when he came through the door of that tiny place carrying a box of something. Both my younger sister and I knew we had a Dad but did not know who he was until that time, chuckle.

That small house was torn down several years ago and a replacement built.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 09-16-2014 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City