Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2014, 12:20 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I mostly went downtown for movies but I recall going to the Social Security office. I dont believe I ever went down there to shop but remember going with my mom when I was younger.

Also picked up a few relatives at the big Greyhound station. That station was part of the movie "In Cold Blood." I am assuming that it has gone elsewhere.

It was so slow going down there, usually via Truman Road. When I-70 came in, it was a quick trip with a fast exit off of 13th Street, I think.

You mean you didn't go there to meet The REAL Santa Claus at Macy's? :-) Ride the little train, get your picture taken?

How about the Forum Cafeteria there? Up on second floor or mezzanine of a building, lots of foods to choose from in little white dishes with green circle near the top. And oh, the battered baked fish and cucumbers and onions in vinegar . . green beans to die for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Kline's, another dept store would have been between Kresge's and Harzfeld's 1112-1118 Walnut thru to 1113-1115 Main. That must have been the backside entrance. Harzfeld's was on the opposite corner Petticoat Ln Main @ 11th thru to Walnut Peck's was at Main, 11th and Baltimore. Its "Tea Room" was 1044 Main. The Roxy was part of Durwood Theatres @ 1104 Main. Paramount (Gladys M Green "hse mgr") 1114 Main. SSK 1119 Main, and like Independence, a second store very nearby at 1131 Main. Jones was at 12th Main & Walnut

Department Store City there, big stores spanning the block. Rothchild's was also near, as well as Emery Bird Thayer.

EBT must have been east across 11th from Harzfelds: 11th, Walnut & Grand

Add Woolf Bros across 11th at Walnut NW corner.

What a day of shopping sprees. Just imagine if there were credit cards in those days

Old 02-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:

October 1957? Why, October because it looks to be American Royal time?

The Yellow Cab in the background coming south appears to be a '57 Plymouth. There is a '57 Chevy in the foreground headed north with what looks like a '57 Olds in front of it.

The charm is the two-tone yellow and white Metropolitan coming south in the right lane. When those things were first made there was no trunk latch or door. Access to the trunk was through lowering the back seat.

Pretty good guess on the month. The Sun Also Rises was released Aug 23 1957 and The Beginning of the End June 28 1957

I thought the Chevy looked a year or two before the classic 57, but I'll defer to your expertise :-) I thought the yellow car might have been a Studebaker or Rambler.

Still trying to figure out what the "on's" at the top was.

To put this photo in another perspective, Truman Library dedicated July 6 1957, so this is what DT KC looked like then

Old 02-23-2014, 01:30 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
You mean you didn't go there to meet The REAL Santa Claus at Macy's? :-) Ride the little train, get your picture taken?

How about the Forum Cafeteria there? Up on second floor or mezzanine of a building, lots of foods to choose from in little white dishes with green circle near the top. And oh, the battered baked fish and cucumbers and onions in vinegar . . green beans to die for.
Wait a minute. The real Santa Claus was at Bundshu's on the square. He told me he was the real thing.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 02-23-2014 at 01:46 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 01:43 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:

October 1957? Why, October because it looks to be American Royal time?

The Yellow Cab in the background coming south appears to be a '57 Plymouth. There is a '57 Chevy in the foreground headed north with what looks like a '57 Olds in front of it.

The charm is the two-tone yellow and white Metropolitan coming south in the right lane. When those things were first made there was no trunk latch or door. Access to the trunk was through lowering the back seat.
Yep, that Chevy is a '57. It's fuzzy, but I think I'm seeing the tail lights and wide side trim of a two-tone '58 Pontiac in front of it. Still would fit for October '57.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:

Still trying to figure out what the "on's" at the top was.
Looking at another Main Street photo that is on the internet that sign says "Berkson's." Did you also notice the vertical "Peck's" sign right next to the vertical "Macy's" sign.

It might have been that Berkson's was a furrier.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 02-23-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Yep, that Chevy is a '57. It's fuzzy, but I think I'm seeing the tail lights and wide side trim of a two-tone '58 Pontiac in front of it. Still would fit for October '57.
The reason I think it is a '57 Oldsmobile is due to the back glass appearing to be a three piece window. The '57 and '58 Pontiac had one piece. That may have been the only year Oldsmobile or maybe anyone else had that rear treatment.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Looking at another Main Street photo that is on the internet that sign says "Berkson's." Did you also notice the vertical "Peck's" sign right next to the vertical "Macy's" sign.

It might have been that Berkson's was a furrier.

You are correct, Sir, Berkson's was between Peck's across 11th, and The Roxy @ 1100-1102 Main. Berkson's was (another) women's clothier. I thought initially it might have been Robinson's Shoes

Further north must have been Shoe City lol, check this out:

1005 Thom McAn
1007 Flagg Bros shoes
1009-1011 Bond Stores Inc clothing (shoes)
1010 Baker's Shoe Store
1013 Hanover Shoe Store
1015 Richman Bros men's clo (shoes)
1016-1018 Robinson Shoe Co
1022 Holiday Shoe Store
1024 Allen's Shoe Store
1034 Macy's Kansas City (shoes, shoes and more shoes)
1044 Peck's of Kansas City (shoes? Frank J Bolton shoes Peck's Shoe Clinic repairs

Whew, if you couldn't find what you wanted there, then . . .

Old 02-23-2014, 02:34 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
The reason I think it is a '57 Oldsmobile is due to the back glass appearing to be a three piece window. The '57 and '58 Pontiac had one piece. That may have been the only year Oldsmobile or maybe anyone else had that rear treatment.
Hmmm....excellent point. And yeah, on checking it appears that the '57 Olds and Buick were unique in that respect. Still, the rear below the lights and the side looks more Pontiac to me. I wonder if what looks like a pillar could maybe be reflection?

Al Ganske´s 1957 Oldsmobile Super 88 features an unusual three-piece rear window.

But my hat is off to you. I thought I was pretty good with American classics, but wouldn't have thought of that window difference.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Hmmm....excellent point. And yeah, on checking it appears that the '57 Olds and Buick were unique in that respect. Still, the rear below the lights and the side looks more Pontiac to me. I wonder if what looks like a pillar could maybe be reflection?

Al Ganske´s 1957 Oldsmobile Super 88 features an unusual three-piece rear window.

But my hat is off to you. I thought I was pretty good with American classics, but wouldn't have thought of that window difference.
If it is any consolation, I originally thought it was a Pontiac.

That is a green Buick coming south in the lane next to it, but I could not say what year it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City