Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 08:58 AM

908 posts, read 724,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I'm thinking that you're thinking about Washburn TV.
That was it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 09:08 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
That was it. Thanks.
Washburn TV was at 151 E Lexington on the corner of Lexington and Noland but the building extended a good way south on Noland. The place is still shown as existing on several web sites but there is a bail bond place there now.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

It is a little difficult to tell but it looks like they did shear off that smaller top level with the smoke stack and two eyebrow windows facing west and left the level immediately underneath.

That road in the lower right running into the plant is Maple.

The spur rr track is no longer there but was used to load elephants and other animals from the Horn Zoo down the road east on Truman, but that was before any of us were crying for milk.

It seems to me that they blew a loud steam horn everyday at noon from the power plant. You could hear it distinctly from the square.
So, in the photo of the old power plant the road running from the bottom left towards the upper right is Noland. Correct?

Old 02-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
So, in the photo of the old power plant the road running from the bottom left towards the upper right is Noland. Correct?
That is Dogion.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Add to that my in-laws, working just down the street at Safeway. 'Tis a small world after all!

Indeed, especially given the pedestrian nature of The Square where they bought probably everything they needed. Lots of people interaction in The Good Ol Daze so it wouldn't surprise me in the least

Old 02-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Indeed, especially given the pedestrian nature of The Square where they bought probably everything they needed. Lots of people interaction in The Good Ol Daze so it wouldn't surprise me in the least
I suppose your mom might have finished up her daily business in the shop and then went downstairs into Milgram's where she bought a quart glass bottle of milk or two and then took it to the checkout counter where my dad probably rang the purchase up.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
That is Dogion.
Got it!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
I don't even recognize these dealership names, much less the location. Thanks, MRG, for the correction on one of them. I believe I said Ross Chevrolet and it was indeed Rost.

Cliff Hulett's name is familiar to me as is the location. I believe it is across Truman from the Trolley. It was another dealer later on.

BTW, I noticed for 1948 that Rost was previously known as Howard Chevrolet. CG Rost was President, Mrs Agnes Louise Rost, VP. Still at address then known as 10401 Independence Ave.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I suppose your mom might have finished up her daily business in the shop and then went downstairs into Milgram's where she bought a quart glass bottle of milk or two and then took it to the checkout counter where my dad probably rang the purchase up.

That's how I picture it. Both my Mom and GM were very personable and likely knew the owners and managers of the nearby businesses (as they did at Alton and 24 Hiway), as well as speaking to store employees and checkers. Since Mom's MO was to shop around groceries, I imagine the same was true for MAD's future in laws.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I don't even recognize these dealership names, much less the location. Thanks, MRG, for the correction on one of them. I believe I said Ross Chevrolet and it was indeed Rost.

Cliff Hulett's name is familiar to me as is the location. I believe it is across Truman from the Trolley. It was another dealer later on.
The Trolley is east by about two blocks from the former Olds facility. The Trolley was for sale not too long ago.

The KC Star in a 1948 edition has Jim Taylor Oldsmobile at 214 N Osage. I am not so sure that he might not have been the individual that built the facility at 11323 E Truman Road rather than Hulett.

Cliff Hulett was there on Truman Road at the new Olds facility in the mid fifties and then Lloyd Ketchum came along in the late fifties or early sixties according to some KC Star advertising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City