Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 11:38 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

This might go along with Santa-Cali-Gon days.

From John Wayne, the Life and Legend, by Scott Eyman.

“With the casting complete, production of the picture Fox was calling The Big Trail began to move forward.”

The movie was about a huge wagon train moving from Missouri to California. It was intended to be as authentic as possible and filmed as much as possible where it all happened.

“Complicating [Raoul] Walsh’s desire was the fact that the Missouri River near Kansas City, the actual embarkation point for many wagon trains, was now dotted with smokestacks and railroads.”

If it had not been for this fact, Independence might have been one of the 1928 locations for The Big Trail, the epic motion picture filmed in the 70mm process called “Grandeur.”

The $2m, 160 minute movie filmed with 40 Grandeur cameras had 185 wagons with 500 actors, and 1,700 head of oxen and cattle in its magnificent wagon train headed on a two thousand mile westward journey. Oxen instead of horses pulled the wagons.

There were five versions of the movie shot simultaneously with five sets of stars speaking different languages for foreign release. No dubbing could be done then. When the speaking English actors finished their lines in a scene, French actors would step in, followed by German, Italian, and Spanish actors. Long shots were shared by all the versions.

The English star was a 22 year old actor named John Wayne.

Unfortunately, the movie was a flop. Only two theaters in the US could project 70mm film, and because of the depression, theaters did not want to spend money for conversion, therefore the film was generally released in 35mm but no one came.

It was John Wayne’s first starring role in an A movie and it sent him back to making $5,000 B movie for ten years until Stagecoach came along.

Grandeur also languished but came back in 1952 as CinemaScope when Fox released The Robe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 12:42 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Thanks for the movie trivia, we'll have to see if that film is available.

Today's local trivia photo shouldn't be terribly hard to solve.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:20 PM

320 posts, read 310,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post

It's a local bridge! What'd I win? Huh,Huh?

Old 08-30-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I have a copy of the 70mm version on DVD. The 35mm version is shorter and is on You Tube.

I am going to guess that is Spring Branch Road.

Old 08-30-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom 58 View Post
It's a local bridge! What'd I win? Huh,Huh?
You won three more guesses!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I have a copy of the 70mm version on DVD. The 35mm version is shorter and is on You Tube.

I am going to guess that is Spring Branch Road.
It is not.

Old 08-30-2014, 04:17 PM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:

Guess # 1 - Hiway 0 or 71 By-Pass
Guess # 2 - Noland Road

Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 PM

I will go with Blue Mills Road.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Guess # 1 - Hiway 0 or 71 By-Pass
Guess # 2 - Noland Road
One of your guesses is correct. In order to win you must decide which one, and narrow down whereabouts on your selected street the scene could be found.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:50 AM

239 posts, read 257,612 times
I believe they are just going to serve to chose that come in. Sort of like a Starbucks I guess for soda. :P I actually bought one of the old bottles off of Ebay about a year ago! I just have it sitting on a shelf. Guess you can only do so much with it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Holy Moly.

On Facebook someone said they have a full bottle of Black Cherry bottled in 1956. I know of some folks who still have empty bottles. Will be interesting if they keep the same logo with the parrot.

One of the reasons for their demise was that the bottles cost ten cents to buy and they received only two cents for deposit according to an item on the web. Other reasons were they did not/could not convert to cans or plastic and they were having a hard time maintaining shelf space in stores.

They got their water for free from the spring that is now apparently plugged.

I am thinking they are only going to sell to folks coming into their store?

Old 08-31-2014, 06:53 AM

908 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
One of your guesses is correct. In order to win you must decide which one, and narrow down whereabouts on your selected street the scene could be found.
In order of preference:

1. Hiway 0 or Hiway 71 ByPass north of where 39th Street is today.

2. Noland Road south of 40 Hiway - 2nd hill from 40 Hiway coming north

3. Or, it could be the same highway going up the hill before going down to the bridge that crossed the Missouri River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City