Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2014, 03:32 PM

908 posts, read 725,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
My understanding is that the store you speak of was next door to this building just west of the present corner of Truman and Lee's Summit. This was George Larm's Service Station:

Doc, sorry I borrowed your photo. The site was brought up by WCHS-59 and I knew exactly to what he was referring and, of course, I knew right where a photo was.

One of the interesting things about this photo is how close the garages are to the road. Back in the early '50s, it wasn't near that close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 04:08 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That is the Carl building, chuckle.

My dad started working there right after the war. Then he moved over to A&P on south Liberty, south of Chrisman Sawyer.

Your dad, my mom and grandmother, and Doc's uncle all working within a hundred feet or so of each other, post WW II.

I wonder if they ever knew each other.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:22 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
We did not get a TV until 1955. I remember some of the early programs as I saw them on a neighbors TV.

I loved radio. On Gunsmoke, the last name for Chester differed from the last name on television. I remember True Detective Mystery, Jack Benny and The Shadow, among those that you and Sally mentioned here. I also remembered listening to a series that only lasted one year (Fall of '53 to Spring of '54), and it was called The Six Shooter. It starred none other than Jimmy Stewart. A friend of mine and I were discussing it a couple of years ago, and lo and behold, the entire year showed up on a CD in my mailbox. Great memories!

I taped and watched a couple of classic Lucy episodes last week. One was the TV commercial, the other Lucy Goes to the Hospital..where she gives birth to Ricky Jr (Desi, Jr) In reading about the latter, it was then the most watched TV show in history, something like 78 percent of all homes with TVs tuning in. Ironically, it far exceeded viewership of the Presidential Inauguration said to have occurred the next day.

Meaning it was shown on Truman's last day in office.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:31 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Your dad, my mom and grandmother, and Doc's uncle all working within a hundred feet or so of each other, post WW II.

Add to that my in-laws, working just down the street at Safeway. 'Tis a small world after all!

Old 02-17-2014, 08:26 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times

Dont remember these guys. But the address is almost the same as the Pioneer Grill, which is listed at 108 South Liberty.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
The $200,000 fire at McIntosh Motors in 1963 destroyed 30 cars that were inside the building.

McIntosh Motors relocated to Noland Road and sold out to Independence VW on November 1, 1970. After the sale, McIntosh had a suit filed against them in state court by their former employees concerning unpaid vacation time and this time McIntosh lost.

Don't have any information on when Independence VW went out and apparently Independence no longer has a VW dealer.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
That is the Carl building, chuckle.

My dad started working there right after the war. Then he moved over to A&P on south Liberty, south of Chrisman Sawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post

Well, my Great-Grandfather started in reals estate around 1904, so he may have known everyone you speak of. His Son, my Great-Uncle, was at Firestone on Main when they first opened.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Doc, sorry I borrowed your photo. The site was brought up by WCHS-59 and I knew exactly to what he was referring and, of course, I knew right where a photo was.

One of the interesting things about this photo is how close the garages are to the road. Back in the early '50s, it wasn't near that close.

Well, of course Truman road was only two lane back then. That took a big chunk out of the property. As far as you borrowing my photo, I don't mind at all, Casey. (But...if you make any money from it, I want my cut! ) The picture I posted of the Kiger bridge, was one of Mad's, so I should apologize to him!

By the way, I forgot to welcome you to our little group! Fresh blood!

Last edited by SilverDoc; 02-17-2014 at 11:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Butcher Real Estate My great grandfather Harry is standing in the door way. His son Elmer was his salesman and the one that took this photo was at 111 E. Lexington.

Quote:
Okay, so this gives me the real estate office, Antoines, & Milgram. Doc, do you have the rest?

There was a cafe on the southwest corner of Lynn and Lexington, an auto parts store on the north side of Lexington and a head shop called J.P. Warthogs in the late 60's. U.S. Supply was further east down the hill closer to old Noland. Sorry I can't give you more specifics as to names and addresses.

Antoine had worked for Adams Seed Co. and later bought the business after buying property from Adams, on South Ave, where he later moved the business. He moved because the city wanted to cut Lynn street through from Lexington to Maple, and would need to demolish Antoine's building to do so.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:57 AM

908 posts, read 725,991 times
Quote:
Well, of course Truman road was only two lane back then. That took a big chunk out of the property. As far as you borrowing my photo, I don't mind at all, Casey. (But...if you make any money from it, I want my cut! ) The picture I posted of the Kiger bridge, was one of Mad's, so I should apologize to him!

By the way, I forgot to welcome you to our little group! Fresh blood!
I can guarantee you that I won't be making any money off the picture. LOL!

Thanks for the welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City