Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 PM

3 posts, read 3,568 times

Advertisements

I remember Paschall Dairy. I went to grade school (6th, 7th, 8th) with Karen Paschall and rode the same school bus. Her dad was Owner/operator of the dairy and our school lunchroom served milk from the Paschall Dairy in those little 1 pint waxed box containers. I lived in Kentucky Hills Subdivision at that time (1958-1961) and our bus picked Karen up near the entrance to the subdivision at Colonel Drive and Kentucky Rd. Ted Stillwell once told me that he used to deliver milk on one of the Paschall Dairy trucks door to door early in the mornings. He added that he would often see President Harry S Truman walking his route during those early morning predawn hours. I haven't seen or heard of Karen Paschall or any others connected with the Dairy since it was closed (date unknown).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 07:15 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,763,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbetts47 View Post
I remember Paschall Dairy. I went to grade school (6th, 7th, 8th) with Karen Paschall and rode the same school bus. Her dad was Owner/operator of the dairy and our school lunchroom served milk from the Paschall Dairy in those little 1 pint waxed box containers. I lived in Kentucky Hills Subdivision at that time (1958-1961) and our bus picked Karen up near the entrance to the subdivision at Colonel Drive and Kentucky Rd. Ted Stillwell once told me that he used to deliver milk on one of the Paschall Dairy trucks door to door early in the mornings. He added that he would often see President Harry S Truman walking his route during those early morning predawn hours. I haven't seen or heard of Karen Paschall or any others connected with the Dairy since it was closed (date unknown).
That could have been the same brand of milk that the McCoy grade school served in the late forties and early fifties. Except then the milk was in small glass jugs with a sealed tin foil top. The cafeteria had a special hand sized gizmo that fit over the bottle cap and would punch a hole in the foil just large enough to insert a straw. I don't remember any of those glass bottles being dropped and broken by students, but I am sure that happened a few times.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:17 PM

I attended the fairly new Ott Elementary School ca. 1958. The next year, in 7th grade, my classmates and I attended what was referred to as "the Annexed Jr High" which was an "OLD" school building that was nearly surrounded by the William Chrisman High School building. It was two or three stories tall with gym classes in the basement and courtyard just outside. I believe this may have been the "OLD Ott School" building and I am pretty sure it has been razed by now. The old floors squeeked when you walked down the halls. Our eighth grade year was spent at old Independence Jr. High School, formerly Independence High School where Harry & Bess Truman attended High School. Harry Truman & Bess Wallace were in the first class to graduate there in 1901. That building was later known as Palmer Junior High and was located at Maple and Pleasant. We had some gym classes in the gymnasium at the church building across the street. When playing dodge ball in first period, we would frequently see Harry Truman and his entourage walking by on the sidewalk. He often came to the fence and spoke with us.

Our family moved to Odessa, MO in 1961, before I had a chance to attend William Chrisman High School. I graduated from Odessa R-VII High School with the class of 1965.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I attended the fairly new Ott Elementary School ca. 1958. The next year, in 7th grade, my classmates and I attended what was referred to as "the Annexed Jr High" which was an "OLD" school building that was nearly surrounded by the William Chrisman High School building. It was two or three stories tall with gym classes in the basement and courtyard just outside. I believe this may have been the "OLD Ott School" building and I am pretty sure it has been razed by now. The old floors squeeked when you walked down the halls. Our eighth grade year was spent at old Independence Jr. High School, formerly Independence High School where Harry & Bess Truman attended High School. Harry Truman & Bess Wallace were in the first class to graduate there in 1901. That building was later known as Palmer Junior High and was located at Maple and Pleasant. We had some gym classes in the gymnasium at the church building across the street. When playing dodge ball in first period, we would frequently see Harry Truman and his entourage walking by on the sidewalk. He often came to the fence and spoke with us.

Our family moved to Odessa, MO in 1961, before I had a chance to attend William Chrisman High School. I graduated from Odessa R-VII High School with the class of 1965.
My sister attended that building, the old Ott grade school, for her seventh grade and it is still there. I actually had a class in that building in 58-59. The building was gutted and rebuilt and made part of the new William Chrisman High School. I cannot recall if they were still working on some of that building while I was in Mr. Burlingame's class. It would not surprise me if they were. I know there was construction on the new part all around us. We initially did not have a cafeteria because of the construction.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:08 PM

I just discovered that the building directly across the street from the Old Indep Jr High School (ca 1960) and used as a gymnasium for basketball and gym classes was not a church as I had recollected but instead was the Truman Memorial Building (416 Maple).

Old 04-26-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I just discovered that the building directly across the street from the Old Indep Jr High School (ca 1960) and used as a gymnasium for basketball and gym classes was not a church as I had recollected but instead was the Truman Memorial Building (416 Maple).
Chuckle, there was a large church across the street from the junior high building also but in a northerly rather than easterly direction where the Truman Memorial Building is located. There was also a large church on the other side of the Memorial Building.

I also remember that the junior high cafeteria was in the basement of the Memorial Building on the east side entered from Maple Street.

That Truman Memorial Building was totally renovated a few years ago to include a new museum and an elevator. It is a really nice place open every week day to visitors.

Independence Junior High became Palmer Junior High School and then was later replaced with a new junior high east of town. The Independence School district headquarters was in the old school for a few years but the environment was causing an illness so they moved out. The building has been vacant and for sale for a number of years.

Another newer part added on the Maple Street side is now a senior citizen's place.

You are in Alabama, I am in Colorado.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:47 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Civil War casualties ?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:27 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Independence Junior High became Palmer Junior High School and then was later replaced with a new junior high east of town. The Independence School district headquarters was in the old school for a few years but the environment was causing an illness so they moved out. The building has been vacant and for sale for a number of years.

Another newer part added on the Maple Street side is now a senior citizen's place.

You are in Alabama, I am in Colorado.
After a major renovation the northern part of Palmer is now a senior citizen apartment building.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:28 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,473,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Civil War casualties ?
Nope. Another clue-

Even though all were in Independence for years none on the list met all on the list, but all on the list met some on the list.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:55 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Nope. Another clue-

Even though all were in Independence for years none on the list met all on the list, but all on the list met some on the list.

They were early politicians involved in City governance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City