Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2015, 07:47 AM

3,324 posts, read 3,474,153 times

Advertisements

Placing the little lake in context...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 AM

37 posts, read 35,425 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;40298927][color=Blue][b]Placing the little lake in context...

Ah, so it is in Fairmount area. I never knew there was a lake back in there. We used to go to the roller skating rink near this location. Also, were there trampolines built over square concrete holes in the ground just south of this area. I recall something like that on the north side of Truman road just east of the railroad bridge in Maywood. This would have been in the very early 60's. They may have had other activities there as well but I only remember the scary trampolines I know there was some past discussion on this style of trampoline but someone thought they were in a different location.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:32 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,765,093 times
[quote=ChuckWC75;40299612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
[color=Blue][b]Placing the little lake in context...

Ah, so it is in Fairmount area. I never knew there was a lake back in there. We used to go to the roller skating rink near this location. Also, were there trampolines built over square concrete holes in the ground just south of this area. I recall something like that on the north side of Truman road just east of the railroad bridge in Maywood. This would have been in the very early 60's. They may have had other activities there as well but I only remember the scary trampolines I know there was some past discussion on this style of trampoline but someone thought they were in a different location.
1,200 feet from the Heart of America Railway Museum on the same track.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:47 AM

2,371 posts, read 2,760,221 times
Quote:

Crisp Lake. I knew Doug DeTray when we were kids. I think he's a doctor now. His family lived/lives just off The Square. When I was there two years ago I saw the house and I recall a DeTray had several "for sale" or "for rent" signs amongst the adjacent properties.

I remember those trampoline sites. Can't remember offhand where they were but I'm sure the liability police finally contributed to their demise.

The Rolladium I believe it was. We've had a thread on that back when we were figuring out all the RR tracks running thru the area.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:50 AM

[quote=WCHS'59;40300229]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWC75 View Post

1,200 feet from the Heart of America Railway Museum on the same track.
Really? So it was on 24? Was it on the north side of the road? I think I only went once and it was at night- very well lit place. I was also going to mention I thought there were car dealer lots around there as I remember everything being brightly lit. That could make sense with the Chevy dealer location.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:

If you look at that aerial, the skating rink is across the street a hop skip and a jump from the lake.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:55 AM

[quote=MRG Dallas;40300422]
Quote:

The Rolladium I believe it was. We've had a thread on that back when we were figuring out all the RR tracks running thru the area.
Yes, I read those previous posts. I have driven by that location in recent years and found the skating place. I remember the tracks back in the day.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:59 AM

[quote=ChuckWC75;40300450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

Really? So it was on 24? Was it on the north side of the road? I think I only went once and it was at night- very well lit place. I was also going to mention I thought there were car dealer lots around there as I remember everything being brightly lit. That could make sense with the Chevy dealer location.
There were a number of tracks going through there, most of which are gone. The Museum was on the south side of Cedar just west of Huttig. The Chevy Dealer was Rost--he had a pretty good operation going.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-06-2015 at 10:14 AM..

Old 07-06-2015, 10:01 AM

[quote=MRG Dallas;40300422]
Quote:

Crisp Lake. I knew Doug DeTray when we were kids. I think he's a doctor now. His family lived/lives just off The Square. When I was there two years ago I saw the house and I recall a DeTray had several "for sale" or "for rent" signs amongst the adjacent properties.

I remember those trampoline sites. Can't remember offhand where they were but I'm sure the liability police finally contributed to their demise.

Do you recall if Doug DeTray had a sister named Janet? She was in the class of '59.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:13 AM

What is Rost Chevrolet is on the 63 aerial with the rails crossing 24 going just east of the dealership and then going down by the lake.

I noticed on the Google current day aerial that there has been some serious building razing on 24 at Ash. There was a brick Gilmor Building at that location before but I dont recall what was in there when I lived for a short time in that area.

Chuckle, the Calico Cat is still there to the east of that location.

Update: Looks like Truman Medical Center is building a medical facility of some type there at 24 and Ash. And they may eventually build on that entire block that includes the Calico Cat--according to an Independence City Council ordinance of November 2013.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-06-2015 at 10:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City