Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2015, 09:01 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Another apparent case of duplicate street names in Independence.

Delorme Maps shows a 317 foot segment of a n-s Short Street south of Wilson Road to Shope Street.

Delorme shows another 276 foot segment of a n-s Short Street north of Wilson Road to Morrell Terrace. Google shows this segment as Glenwood Street, though.

Short Street is also a 3,000 foot e-w street from Liberty to Leslie and a 1,649 foot segment from Forest to Lexington.
Wilson Road should not be confused with Wilson Avenue, a one-block long street running south off Truman Road a bit east of Noland. That Wilson intersects with Lexington, which is not the same as the Lexington that almost intersects with the other Wilson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 09:03 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWC75 View Post
Greetings from a new reader.

... I have a list of comments and questions but will start with just one general topic: ...
Thanks, Chuck WCHS 1975
We are ready for more questions!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:12 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
This is probably how Dallas remembers it, as seen in 1963.

Yes, indeed! I walked/biked/overnighted along those streets a zillion times.

There's Polly's Pop, upper left. All the old houses on W. Maple, nice big trees blocking the aerial view. Business activity on the south side of Lexington. Galen Boyer Pontiac is tucked away under the trees.

And Pendleton. I was not aware that my parents lived in one of the nearest houses to Lexington there until two years ago via Polk's. At least if I was told I have forgotten. The Polk's year was the issue before my birth, so (ahem!) I figured I might have started my long and winding road of life in whatever house it was. If we lived there after I was born, I don't know. The earliest house I remember was on Appleton, south of 23rd, until we moved to Raytown.

But it's God's Country for sure! :-)

Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:

What does this book have to do with an Independence city tax collector?

He/she wrote it?

2015 update:

What does this book have to do with the IRS tax collector?

Old 07-02-2015, 10:06 AM

60 posts, read 56,816 times
MRG, what block of Appleton did you live on? I grew up on the 2700 block.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev 2732 View Post
MRG, what block of Appleton did you live on? I grew up on the 2700 block.
To be honest, Kev, I couldn't find an address in Polk's so I don't rightly know since I was a mere tot. I know Mom pointed it out across the way years later while we traveled along Sterling.

Now that I look at a map I see Appleton does not cut thru between 27th and 31st. It doesn't pick up again until almost 40 Hiway, so it has to be within those two streets. And that's how I remember the image along that stretch of Sterling. Seems like there was a ravine between there and Sterling, and as I look at Google Earth I see the greenbelt. Also the radio tower I had forgotten about.

I wish I knew what house but Polk's published every two years and I think the short time we lived there fell in between publishings.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:52 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:

What does this book have to do with an Independence city tax collector?

He/she wrote it?

2015 update:

What does this book have to do with the IRS tax collector?
Sorry about the mental lapse.

Ralph Depugh was city tax collector for two years and a Jackson County Sheriff Deputy for twenty plus years. His son, Robert Bolivar Depugh was founder of the Minuteman militia organization and he wrote this book. It is available on Amazon last time I looked.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM

37 posts, read 35,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
We are ready for more questions!
Very timely of you to ask! I just finished reading ALL of the old posts today. Very Interesting- especially the railroad and retail related posts. My list of comments, questions, clarifications has greatly expanded. I'll start with some posts that Mr. Mad made that related to things that I always remember: Broasted Chicken and the bear alignment shop on old Noland. Whenever I am back in Missouri (every 5 years or so) I try to recall how certain parts of town looked "back in the day" (primarily the early 60's). Noland Road holds particular interest near the square since it it so different today. I remember Thriftway, Fields, among other things. Broasted chicken for some reason also stuck in my mind all these years. I was only in there a few times and remember it being a very small building that, for some reason, I think was an odd color like orange. Is this possible? It seems like it also backed against a tall metal fence of some type which made me think of the junk yard that I saw mentioned in prior posts but I barely remember. If broasted wasn't backing against the junk yard does anyone recall what was behind it? It also seems that there was an auto repair place on the south side of the broasted chicken lot (?). The bear alignment sign at Walnut was a favorite of mine at night when it was illuminated. I am trying to sketch out in my mind (and maybe paper) what each of these places was along Noland. Also, there was a gas station north of Fields Furniture (same side of Noland)- don't remember brand. Does anyone remember that? I wish we had taken pictures back then- who knew how different it would be today?

Future topics: Dickinson/McComas lakes (snakes and planes), Fast food (Griff's,Hamlet, Texas Toms, Hi Boy, etc). 24 Hiway shopping center (parrot in Krogers, Bess in Krogers). Heart of America Railroad Museum in Fairmount, etc, etc, etc….

Old 07-02-2015, 02:48 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckWC75 View Post
Very timely of you to ask! I just finished reading ALL of the old posts today. Very Interesting- especially the railroad and retail related posts. My list of comments, questions, clarifications has greatly expanded. I'll start with some posts that Mr. Mad made that related to things that I always remember: Broasted Chicken and the bear alignment shop on old Noland. Whenever I am back in Missouri (every 5 years or so) I try to recall how certain parts of town looked "back in the day" (primarily the early 60's). Noland Road holds particular interest near the square since it it so different today. I remember Thriftway, Fields, among other things. Broasted chicken for some reason also stuck in my mind all these years. I was only in there a few times and remember it being a very small building that, for some reason, I think was an odd color like orange. Is this possible? It seems like it also backed against a tall metal fence of some type which made me think of the junk yard that I saw mentioned in prior posts but I barely remember. If broasted wasn't backing against the junk yard does anyone recall what was behind it? It also seems that there was an auto repair place on the south side of the broasted chicken lot (?). The bear alignment sign at Walnut was a favorite of mine at night when it was illuminated. I am trying to sketch out in my mind (and maybe paper) what each of these places was along Noland. Also, there was a gas station north of Fields Furniture (same side of Noland)- don't remember brand. Does anyone remember that? I wish we had taken pictures back then- who knew how different it would be today?

Future topics: Dickinson/McComas lakes (snakes and planes), Fast food (Griff's,Hamlet, Texas Toms, Hi Boy, etc). 24 Hiway shopping center (parrot in Krogers, Bess in Krogers). Heart of America Railroad Museum in Fairmount, etc, etc, etc….

I never heard of the Heart of America Railroad Museum before (I don't think).

I see where it was dedicated on November 5, 1960 and had started with a diner car and lounge sleeper car. The president of the museum association was the editor of the InterCity News. By 1965 they had at least an additional 1912 steam engine. It was located behind the Fairmount post office. I dont recall where the post office was for Fairmount even thought I worked and lived there for one-two years in 1960, or so. Anyone know anymore about the post office location or the museum or what happened to it?

Update: The Fairmount post office was at 10058 Wilson road, which would have been north of Independence Avenue by one-half block. Tracks use to go behind that that location.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-02-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 07-02-2015, 03:16 PM

60 posts, read 56,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
To be honest, Kev, I couldn't find an address in Polk's so I don't rightly know since I was a mere tot. I know Mom pointed it out across the way years later while we traveled along Sterling.

Now that I look at a map I see Appleton does not cut thru between 27th and 31st. It doesn't pick up again until almost 40 Hiway, so it has to be within those two streets. And that's how I remember the image along that stretch of Sterling. Seems like there was a ravine between there and Sterling, and as I look at Google Earth I see the greenbelt. Also the radio tower I had forgotten about.

I wish I knew what house but Polk's published every two years and I think the short time we lived there fell in between publishings.
Appleton runs between 27th and 28th. There is a radio station at 28th and Appleton with a field, Rock Creek, and two radio towers behind it. In the earlier days, 50's-70's there was only a transmitter building and one tower. Appleton picks up again at 28th Terr. to 31st. It's one of those streets you need to have a short destination to be driving on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City