Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 12:46 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Would you also remember Inter-City News, which was a pretty good sized newspaper operation operating somewhere in Fairmount or vicinity. It ran from 1929 to 1976.

Ask and ye shall receive:

Bernard F. McCarty, Managing Editor, Inter-City News

Inter-City Press, Inc.
N. Virgil GRAY, Pres
BF McCarty, VP
Roger O Welch, S-T

Printers The Inter-City News
Lake Lotawana News

562 S Huttig Av (PO KCMO)
CLifton 2-7000
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Ask and ye shall receive:

Bernard F. McCarty, Managing Editor, Inter-City News

Inter-City Press, Inc.
N. Virgil GRAY, Pres
BF McCarty, VP
Roger O Welch, S-T

Printers The Inter-City News
Lake Lotawana News

562 S Huttig Av (PO KCMO)
CLifton 2-7000
I looked that address up and it is a private home. I worked in Fairmount for over a year in 61 and never realized where it was published. It must have been a basement operation.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:

I just found this item on Ebay. It is a transfer ticket for the City Transit Lines of Independence.

I think I mentioned before that the bus depot for the converging buses was in a cafe at Lynn and Lexington. There is a lawyer's office there now. This would have been right across Lynn from Inter-City Freight Lines, chuckle.

The cafe had only counter service but in addition there were long benches along the west wall in the cafe for passengers to sit and wait. A loud speaker announcer would announce the arrival and departure of the buses. The buses parked in a line pointed along Lynn towards Kansas street.

I recall the bus fare as five cents to ride the line my house.
When I would board my bus, I don't recall what they called the route I would take but it might have been the 23rd Street route. The bus would leave the cafe headed on Lynn to Kansas. From Kansas east to Noland. From Noland south to 23rd then turn east. From Noland on 23rd east to Logan where it would turn and head north to Hayward. At Hayward it would turn east again and head for Kiger making a stop for me at Harkless.

The bus had a line cord stretching above the windows and you could pull that cord to stop anywhere along the route. At Kiger the bus turned and headed south to 23rd then took 23rd west back to Noland and then turn north heading back to the depot. This was one-half hour, I think.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I looked that address up and it is a private home. I worked in Fairmount for over a year in 61 and never realized where it was published. It must have been a basement operation.
Actually I couldn't find the address, going up and down Huttig. I suspect it might have been that grassy area just behind the stores facing US 24. In other words, a little business the building which sat on that site and was later torn down.

EDIT: I think the newer looking house there where Cedar intersects might have been the place. Probably the old small office building was demolished to make way for the duplex or triplex that sits there, which would be on the correct side of the road and approx that address.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 07-05-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Actually I couldn't find the address, going up and down Huttig. I suspect it might have been that grassy area just behind the stores facing US 24. In other words, a little business the building which sat on that site and was later torn down.
I transposed my house numbers from 562 s to 526 s and came up with the aforementioned house.

After searching for 562 s Huttig on Google Maps, I came up with a square type house on the west side of Huttig at Huttig and Cedar, but the address on the house says 546. I would sometimes park in front of this place when I worked up the street on 24 Highway. I recall it as being apartments.

On the west side of Huttig just behind the old Standard State Bank that faced Highway 24 is a painted white cement block business operation of some type that has 562 hand painted in black. There is also a door and/or a garage door in this building. I remember a business being in that building in 1961 but if it was the Inter-City News publishing there, I don't recall that, chuckle.

RR tracks once paralleled immediately south of Cedar causing a really congested area.

Last edited by WCHS'59; 07-05-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I transposed my house numbers from 562 s to 526 s and came up with the aforementioned house.

After searching for 562 s Huttig on Google Maps, I came up with a square type house on the west side of Huttig at Huttig and Cedar, but the address on the house says 546. I would sometimes park in front of this place when I worked up the street on 24 Highway. I recall it as being apartments.

On the west side of Huttig just behind the old Standard State Bank that faced Highway 24 is a painted white cement block business operation of some type that has 562 hand painted in black. There is also a door and/or a garage door in this building. I remember a business being in that building in 1961 but if it was the Inter-City News publishing there, I don't recall that, chuckle.

RR tracks once paralleled immediately south of Cedar causing a really congested area.
I looked in 1954 and the address was the same: the 562 number is correct. I did not see where Polks listed Cedar as intersecting, so maybe that was a new road that necessitated removal of 562

Anyway, ICP, Inc. had different management and publications from 1960:

Otto Higgins, P
Stanley Fike, Treas-Manager

Inter-City News Harvey Ross, Editor
Sugar Creek Herald
Independence Sentinel
Jackson County Democrat
Lake Lotawana News

Old 07-05-2013, 04:59 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:

My fuzzy memory tends to agree with you, the block building against the back of the bank.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:00 AM

239 posts, read 257,612 times
Okay, I'm confused!!!! I have a problem and I know you guys can fix it. I'm looking at 300 Lexington today and the pictures of it back in the 50's, etc. I'm having a hard time piecing everything together and I'm also trying to figure out what is all apart of the building and what might be buildings around it. I'm just a mess. I uploaded a sub folder to Lexington Avenue, called "300 Lexington". These are pictures I took yesterday. Using Silverdoc's method he described, I'm going to attempt to put them here. I hope you guys don't mind... this post might be a full page. LOL. I should have re-sized them before uploading....oops.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:01 AM

I was just thinking that perhaps they did not have the building technology back then to eliminate those two posts that are holding up the front of the roof overhang on the former Blue Vally Savings building.

But then, maybe they did have the expertise but they saved a buck or two by using the posts.

That was one fifties modernistic building when it opened.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:12 AM

If this is 317 West Maple, this would have been the home of Galen Boyer Pontiac back in the fifties. Google Maps point to this place as 317 W but I could not see an address on the front.

And the building to the right was the location of the 1000-seat Granada Theater, which was torn down to make way for a taxi cab stand and then later this building was constructed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City