Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
There was/is the Beverly Hills Baptist Church at 31st and Crysler. As far as it being in or near the Beverly Hills subdivision, I couldn't say.

I read in that same interview that Petey Childers graduated from WCHS in 1931. Same year as my Great-Aunt. My Dad graduated from there, as well as myself. Truman graduated from Independence High School which was the main high school before WCHS was built. I thought that Truman going to IHS was interesting, considering the fact that IHS became WCHS, which later became the biggest rival of
Truman High School!

William Chrisman can boast of a number of graduates that have achieved fame. These include: Harry S. Truman, Bess Wallace Truman, Paul Henning(T.V. writer for "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Petticoat Junction" [Petey Childer's brother-in-law]), Major General John "Jack" Chiles, and Colonel Edwin Bayse(member of the "Flying Tigers").
He seemed to be somehow connecting the Paul Henning Beverly Hills TV program to the Beverly Hills subdivision in Independence. I dont know. But there are several Beverly Hills homes for sale as shown on the internet. It is in the same general area as that church.

As for famous people from Independence, don't forget Donald Duck. I dont know if he (Clarence Nash) graduated from Chrisman, though, but he once said he knew Truman well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:

William Chrisman can boast of a number of graduates that have achieved fame. These include: Harry S. Truman, Bess Wallace Truman, Paul Henning(T.V. writer for "The Beverly Hillbillies" and "Petticoat Junction" [Petey Childer's brother-in-law]), Major General John "Jack" Chiles, and Colonel Edwin Bayse(member of the "Flying Tigers").
I had heard of a Chiles having to do with the early history of Independence but had never heard (I dont think) of Jack Chiles.

Here is another oral history from the Truman Library and from a military point of view is very interesting, especially when Douglas MacArthur is mentioned.

Truman Library - General John H. Chiles Oral History Interview

Old 07-04-2013, 11:56 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
If you mean last as in final it was either a travel agency or a title loan office, I can't recall which of the two was last, but both used that building later.

It is around 30th & Crysler. There is even a Beverly Hills Baptist Church.

Yeah I remember a "Beverly Hills" as well Passed by it thousands of times as it was our commute

Old 07-04-2013, 12:51 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
If you pull up Google, Blue Valley has 310 west as its address. I have never heard of the Luft eatery at 320. That was probably before I started paying attention to things.

That was the address listed for the 50s years I looked at (probably 52 and 57, Polk's is incomplete for several of the years that I have access to)

Ok here's 1954:

300 USPO plus Jesse L. Roy, Cigars (Jesse was well ahead of his time

310 BVFSL

320 John Luff's Restaurant

So BV must have replaced either a parking lot, or another business, and I cant imagine part of the USPO giving ground for BV.

Ah, ok further investigation, might have the Mystery solved:

300 USPO
320 Luff's

But at a 314 was Smith Motor Co (used cars)

So apparently there was a lot there that sat vacant for a few years, BV bought it and then it was addressed as 310.

And yes Regis, that's my Final Answer.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:23 PM

239 posts, read 257,612 times
So this is from 1960?

Quote:
After Turner Music moved into the former Tucker's Furniture:

Old 07-04-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
That was the address listed for the 50s years I looked at (probably 52 and 57, Polk's is incomplete for several of the years that I have access to)

300 USPO plus Jesse L. Roy, Cigars (Jesse was well ahead of his time
I think Jesse might have been the legally blind man that ran a concession type store within the post office.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 PM

There are usually a few people in there when I drop in. Mostly senior citizens I will say though, but I guess that might be obvious given the name "50+ Pharmacy". They always know who I am when I come in and get my medication ready. They either have a really good memory or I'm the youngest one to come in there..

Quote:
And here I wondered how a drug store could possible even make it on the square nowadays, chuckle.

Back in the fifties there were drug stores on each side of the square except the east side--and more than one in each block, I think.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Wow, I can't believe the difference!!!! On the other side of the building, I believe (pictures of the other streets will show) there being a True Value, that is also abandoned. It's definitely one of the worst looking places on the square. Strange how many of the buildings are at least still in use but not that one. I wonder why?

Quote:
This was the former Blue Valley Federal Savings building. The door and all this area was all glass, and dark glass at that. There was a small parking lot behind that was actually on Maple. There was a Lexington entrance but I dont think Maple had an entrance. And, naturally, back then only the prettiest women were hired to be tellers, chuckle.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Wow, I can't believe the difference!!!! On the other side of the building, I believe (pictures of the other streets will show) there being a True Value, that is also abandoned. It's definitely one of the worst looking places on the square. Strange how many of the buildings are at least still in use but not that one. I wonder why?
I just looked and that small parking lot is still there in back of the former Blue Valley Savings but now has an exit onto Maple. I seem to recall there were bushes there in the old days to keep the parking lot contained for Blue Valley.

The True Value hardware is one door further west. I cannot recall what might have been there in place of the hardware in the old days.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
And, naturally, back then only the prettiest women were hired to be tellers, chuckle.
Right during senior year and/or after high school I began to notice that all the banks, lawyers, and other professional folks had only the prettiest young women working in their establishment--at least for public viewing. I never saw a homely female working in these areas.

I began wondering how it was that only the beautiful had these jobs. But as it turns out there was usually not much qualification except for the good looks.

Back then, employers could hire who they wanted and I soon found out there was a reason for all the beauty--that is to draw the customers and make the surroundings as nice as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City