Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
Number 6 Sanborn Map, August 1916.

The Independence High School is shown at Pleasant and Maple but fronting on Maple. vs the old Independence Palmer Junior High being on the opposite end of the block toward Truman.

A dwelling is shown where the Truman Memorial Building is at today. Several dwellings are at the location of the parking lot for the Memorial Building.

Does anyone remember Stahl's Funeral Home which was in the 700 block of N. Maple? I presume it was on the same side and just east of the HS. My GPs would have lived opposite side and a few houses down, but heck if I remember it. Maybe it was gone by then but it seems creepy to have a FH right near a HS....must have been in one of those old stately houses that ran from the HS to River Blvd, now all sadly torn down.

EDIT: "WCHS (ROTC)" in 1950 is listed at 709. Stahl Funeral Home (Henry W. Stahl) at 815. By 1960 only Mrs Stahl is listed at that address.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 12-27-2012 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:19 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Does anyone remember Stahl's Funeral Home which was in the 700 block of N. Maple? I presume it was on the same side and just east of the HS. My GPs would have lived opposite side and a few houses down, but heck if I remember it. Maybe it was gone by then but it seems creepy to have a FH right near a HS....must have been in one of those old stately houses that ran from the HS to River Blvd, now all sadly torn down.

EDIT: "WCHS (ROTC)" in 1950 is listed at 709. Stahl Funeral Home (Henry W. Stahl) at 815. By 1960 only Mrs Stahl is listed at that address.
I seem to recall the name but that is all. I dont recall the location from when I attended Chrisman on Maple in '57-'58 but I did not venture west on Maple from the school.

The entire 800 block is now vacant except for a small parking lot in one corner along Lexington and River just across from the Stone Church on one side and just across from the relatively new Temple on the other side. The block must have been purchased by the Community Church of Christ (RLDS) and they are holding the land for future parking expansion.

Old 12-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
I seem to recall the name but that is all. I dont recall the location from when I attended Chrisman on Maple in '57-'58 but I did not venture west on Maple from the school.

The entire 800 block is now vacant except for a small parking lot in one corner along Lexington and River just across from the Stone Church on one side and just across from the relatively new Temple on the other side. The block must have been purchased by the Community Church of Christ (RLDS) and they are holding the land for future parking expansion.
That must be the reason. My GPs lived on the other side of Maple, you could now sit on their front porch and see the grounds unobstructed. They also low-balled that poor old man on selling his home. Alot of history has seen the wrecking ball for those parking spaces. One of my childhood pals lived on that south side, ground floor of a stately white house that rented the above floors. It's gone.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 AM

Number 9 Sanborn Map, August 1916.

O.J. Raymond lumber company at 315 E Lexington stocks an average of 350,000 board feet of lumber. That is about 70 miles placed end to end.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM

Number 1 Sanborn Map, December 1892.

Shows Lexington Road beginning at the end of east College Avenue.

Shows three north-south streets east of Lyn (Lynn) as named First Cross, Second Cross, and Third Cross.

First Cross appears to be modern day Noland Road. What appears to be modern day south Noland is named Harmony.

Modern day Pacific Avenue east of Main is named Merchants Road.

First street north of Main and Farmer is School Street, which is now Waldo.

Modern day Lexington Street is called Lexington--no electric generating plant, yet.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Number 3 Sanborn Map, December 1892.

At the alley way north of Maple and Liberty is a Chinese Laundry.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Consider this a late Christmas gift. My Beloved and I found this in one of our family albums. No clue as to who took it, when, or why.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a map of the Santa Fe Trail as it winds its way thru Independence, Raytown and KC? I've tried some of the Trails Associations, etc. and also Google but to no avail. Best I can tell it winds its way past Bingham Waggoner, then presumably on Santa Fe Trail road. I also found there are markers at Raytown High School and where I went to grade school, Blue Ridge Elementary, so presuming the Trail followed on or near Blue Ridge Blvd thru Raytown. There are also markers at Avila College. I guess there were a few branches as well, but I'd like to see what the main thoroughfare thru Jackson Co. was.

Anyone?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a map of the Santa Fe Trail as it winds its way thru Independence, Raytown and KC? I've tried some of the Trails Associations, etc. and also Google but to no avail. Best I can tell it winds its way past Bingham Waggoner, then presumably on Santa Fe Trail road. I also found there are markers at Raytown High School and where I went to grade school, Blue Ridge Elementary, so presuming the Trail followed on or near Blue Ridge Blvd thru Raytown. There are also markers at Avila College. I guess there were a few branches as well, but I'd like to see what the main thoroughfare thru Jackson Co. was.

Anyone?
That may be a daunting task. The trails were constantly changing as the pioneers found shortcuts, better stream crossings, etc. Yet there has to be some version of a map somewhere.

Perhaps Weimlover is lurking and can help.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 28,146 times
Default How Is This Neighborhood Now?

I have been fascinated with the possibilities of this house:

1809 S VASSAR Avenue, Independence, MO 64052 | Listing Information |

How is the neighborhood now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City