Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 AM

778 posts, read 1,025,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post
Sorry, but I'm not sure just when it was taken. My sources do say though, that it's the Plaza Theater at 119 W. Lexington. Maybe someone can confirm that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post

It is not the Plaza.
The Plaza had a small sweet shop entrance to the left of the building as you faced it.

If you have a photo of the current Knitcraft building, or even Sudora's, the building is one and the same except for some updated treatments on the first floor doing away with the entry and exit doors.
The fancy treatment immediately above the windows on the second floor is a giveaway. The fancy treatment along the roof line is the same also. Looking close at the Knitcraft building one can see the windows above the entry and exit doors in the photo have been covered over with brick.

Additionally, the photo shows a curb cut in the lower left where the parking meter is. That is the alley exit onto Main Street between Maple and Truman. There would be no similar curb cut across from the Plaza because of the courthouse.

Also, the parking is parallel in the photo. The parking on Lexington was angled.

The only thing that does not match is that there appears to be a vacant lot to the right of the building. The only thing I could add would be that the building holding Gateway Sporting Goods and another shop was built after this photo was taken.

Either my source was wrong as to the identity of the building, OR, and this is more likely, I misread or miss printed.
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-old-electric-theater.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:23 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
Quote:
Either my source was wrong as to the identity of the building, OR, and this is more likely, I misread or miss printed.
Chuckle, earlier I was going to ask if you had a photo of the Plaza. I only have a photo in a book that is copyrighted.

The photo of the Electric must have been after it closed in the late 40s. There is no marque but maybe there was not one to begin with.

Here is some additional information. If you look at the current location on Lexington where the Plaza was located, that building has six windows, grouped in two pairs each, on the second floor.

There is no ornamental decoration along the roof line and the building is narrower than the building in the photo.

I would also like to add that the Plaza Sweet Shop to the left of the theater as you faced it had a glass front with the door.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Chuckle, earlier I was going to ask if you had a photo of the Plaza. I only have a photo in a book that is copyrighted.

The photo of the Electric must have been after it closed in the late 40s. There is no marque but maybe there was not one to begin with.

Here is some additional information. If you look at the current location on Lexington where the Plaza was located, that building has six windows, grouped in two pairs each, on the second floor.

There is no ornamental decoration along the roof line and the building is narrower than the building in the photo.

I would also like to add that the Plaza Sweet Shop to the left of the theater as you faced it had a glass front with the door.

I haven't run across a photo of the Plaza, yet. (or the Majestic, the Lyric, the Cozy...) Maybe Mad has one. I DO know that it was at 119 w. Lexington. Meanwhile, I'll keep digging.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:48 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:

Maybe from the same book "Images of America series Independence" page 71. There is a photo of "sudora" with the caption:

" . . . owned by SUsan L. Matthew and DORA M. Perkins was location at 215 North Main Street in the building that had been occupied by the Electric Theater movie house during the second decade of the 20th century through the 1940s."

Old 11-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
I haven't run across a photo of the Plaza, yet. (or the Majestic, the Lyric, the Cozy...) Maybe Mad has one. I DO know that it was at 119 w. Lexington. Meanwhile, I'll keep digging.

The same book has a photo looking west on W. Lexington on the Bundschu's corner (Davis Paint ?) p. 53 and an east view prominently featuring First National Bank, from say, Denton Drugs on Liberty, p. 54. Both from 1950. Both show the Plaza Theatre marquee but not much of a close-up from those angles.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:28 PM

As I recall, in the early fifties at any of the Independence grocery stores, small or large, one could buy a double pack of Hostess chocolate cup cakes sitting on a thin cardboard stiffener wrapped in cellophane. The price was ten cents.

Twinkies came along around 1953, or so, although I believe they were available in other areas much sooner than than that since they were concocted in the thirties.

Twinkies were a pair on the same thin cardboard stiffener and wrapped in cellophane, price ten cents.

Nowadays, I think the minimum cup cakes or Twinkies one can buy is ten in a box.

It has been years since I ate a Twinkie but it did not taste as good as it did when I was a youngster.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:37 PM

Those things stayed a dime for a long time.

Old 11-16-2012, 03:54 PM

You've just crossed over into.... the Independence Square Zone.
Attached Thumbnails
Long ago on independence square-clippard-rodekopf-packard-lexington-c.1950s-.jpg  

Old 11-16-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Those things stayed a dime for a long time.
Then went to 12 cents, then 15 cents, then 20 cents.

Rest in peace, Twinkies.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
You've just crossed over into.... the Independence Square Zone.
The 1956 Packard Caribbean was one swank automobile at $6,000, or more than three times the working man's Ford or Chevy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City