Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 04:13 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,478,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Yes, very interesting. That was some real risk taking, with things falling into unexpected places IMO.

Perhaps pearjas can expound, but I thought the best rehab for The Square would have been to make the CourtHouse a focal point for legal/judicial proceedings for the eastern part of the County, given all the growth that way. Establishment of courts, County offices, etc. and watch the shyster attorneys rent and rehab offices in the proximity. Great location and office space at reasonable rates (I would assume), plus easier access for residents of BS and LS.
Actually you are prophetically right, although a bit tardy. The county recently renovated the Courthouse Annex at Kansas & Osage, adding more courtrooms to serve EJC. There are numerous lawyer offices about the area. Last December,for the first time out of the 6 times I've been summoned for jury duty, I finally got Independence duty instead of KC. The old courthouse is used for the tax collector and perhaps other county offices, plus the JACO Historical Society, The Independence Visitor's Experience (historic site info and free coffee) plus a small art gallery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 12:11 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Actually you are prophetically right, although a bit tardy. The county recently renovated the Courthouse Annex at Kansas & Osage, adding more courtrooms to serve EJC. There are numerous lawyer offices about the area. Last December,for the first time out of the 6 times I've been summoned for jury duty, I finally got Independence duty instead of KC. The old courthouse is used for the tax collector and perhaps other county offices, plus the JACO Historical Society, The Independence Visitor's Experience (historic site info and free coffee) plus a small art gallery.
Do you know how many courts are located there? It looks like Jaco has 30-35 courts but I couldn't see how many were in the Annex. Regardless, my thinking was courts actually located in the CtHouse would create demand for office space within the confines of THE Square. I am familiar with several law offices nearby, but many of them are located on Kansas, which is "off-site" as far as I'm concerned!! Not close enough!!!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG Dallas View Post
Do you know how many courts are located there? It looks like Jaco has 30-35 courts but I couldn't see how many were in the Annex. Regardless, my thinking was courts actually located in the CtHouse would create demand for office space within the confines of THE Square. I am familiar with several law offices nearby, but many of them are located on Kansas, which is "off-site" as far as I'm concerned!! Not close enough!!!
They did try holding court sessions in the historic Brady courtroom on the second floor of the old courthouse a few years ago. That building and courtroom just aren't adequate for today's security and ADA requirements.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:01 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,771,171 times
MRG did you watch the first installment "Manhunt: The Unabomber" on Discovery ID?

The bouncing flashback approach is rather annoying.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:27 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
MRG did you watch the first installment "Manhunt: The Unabomber" on Discovery ID?

The bouncing flashback approach is rather annoying.
I have a Unabomber documentary taped but haven't watched it yet. I'll check back

Old 08-13-2017, 09:06 AM

1 posts, read 845 times
Worked at Cottage inn on 50 Hwy in the mid 40's Ong airport close by.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nichols View Post
Hello,

I can recall a Combs Cottage Inn on US 24 that in the mid 40s would have been outside the eastern city limits of Independence.

I don't remember a Cottage Inn on US 50 but a web site says that Ong Airport was at Gregory Blvd and Blue Ridge Blvd in Raytown. Prior to being called Ong Airport it was called Richards Field and was the first airport established in the Kansas City area in 1922. Ong no longer exists but there is a highway marker in front of a US Bank commemorating Richards Field.

The "Richards" of Richards Field is the same Richards in the old Richards-Gebauer AFB.

Maybe those two Cottage Inns were related, somehow.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Nichols View Post
Quote:
Hello,

I can recall a Combs Cottage Inn on US 24 that in the mid 40s would have been outside the eastern city limits of Independence.

I don't remember a Cottage Inn on US 50 but a web site says that Ong Airport was at Gregory Blvd and Blue Ridge Blvd in Raytown. Prior to being called Ong Airport it was called Richards Field and was the first airport established in the Kansas City area in 1922. Ong no longer exists but there is a highway marker in front of a US Bank commemorating Richards Field.

The "Richards" of Richards Field is the same Richards in the old Richards-Gebauer AFB.

Maybe those two Cottage Inns were related, somehow.
There is even intrigue connected with this airfield...

Richards was the first civilian airport in this part of the country. It opened
in the summer of 1921. At about the same time the U.S. Army was looking for a field for summer Reservist flying activities. They rented the airport, and the field was named after John Richards, of a well-known Kansas City family; the first American pilot shot down in WWI.

Bill Ong took over the property & during World War II operated a primary flying school for Army Air Force Cadets. Unfortunately, a certain unpleasantness developed when Kansas City Municipal Airport was inaugurated. The Army part of it was to be known as Richards Field, and some of its protagonists who were antagonistic to the old airport, during the night went to the field & detached the bronze plaque [of John Richards] on the gate & took it to Municipal Airport.

The field was reportedly renamed Ong Airport in 1943. Ong Airport was described in the April 1944 US Army/Navy Directory of Airfields as having a 2,600' unpaved runway. Ong Airport was evidently closed at some point between 1950-53, to make room for a subdivision.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:02 PM

You might have to do a CTRL + to read the smaller print.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:

You might have to do a CTRL + to read the smaller print.
From the November 19, 1949, Kansas City Times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City