Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 10:46 AM

4,711 posts, read 5,775,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
How about Railroad Avenue? I know there was a Railroad Street near the C&A at one time.
No.

Here is a hint. Barnard's Drug store was once on the street in question.

Actually, this might he hard to guess. Here is the answer:

According to the Kansas City Journal, it was Alton Avenue.

The only thing I can think of was that Alton must have continued on from the Chicago & Alton Station to what is now 23rd Street and veered east heading who knows how far.

At some point, Alton must have been extended west to Kansas City along the future 23rd Street.

Or, 23rd was extended into Independence and ran into Alton.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 11:23 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,481,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
No.

Here is a hint. Barnard's Drug store was once on the street in question.

Actually, this might he hard to guess. Here is the answer:

According to the Kansas City Journal, it was Alton Avenue.

The only thing I can think of was that Alton must have continued on from the Chicago & Alton Station to what is now 23rd Street and veered east heading who knows how far.

At some point, Alton must have been extended west to Kansas City along the future 23rd Street.

Or, 23rd was extended into Independence and ran into Alton.

I've never seen a map showing Alton there. What date was this article? I'll recheck my resources.

Old 11-07-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
I've never seen a map showing Alton there. What date was this article? I'll recheck my resources.
Kansas City Journal,
February 21, 1897

Old 11-07-2017, 05:22 PM

Kansas City Journal, July 24, 1897, six months after the previous Journal article on the congestion of Alton between the two stations.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Kansas City Journal, July 24, 1897, six months after the previous Journal article on the congestion of Alton between the two stations.
This is the best I have found so far is an 1888 map. It shows that as Alton reaches the C&A tracks it follows those tracks over to what is now Crysler, and appears to continue north to the bridge. Unfortunately this map has few street names noted.

From a later map I have seen that portion of street hugging the C&A from Alton to Crysler was called Railroad (St. or Ave.?).

I can't post either right now, as my PB account has been jammed!

Old 11-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Kansas City Times, February 13, 1963

I recall this denial as I was working at Cascios at the time.

the back corner of the parking lot was 300 feet from Crysler. That portion of Crysler was all residential and still is. Fifty four years later, there is still the same room to build an access road to the parking lot from Crysler to the parking lot of the various businesses that are now in the old Cascio store.

The store advertised 30,000 square feet of grocery shopping space and 10,000 feet of back room.

The homeowners in the area also objected to the fire shooting from the chimney of the inside accessed onsite self contained burn facility at the back of the grocery store. That chimney was a mere 90 feet from the nearest home on another street. Although the chimney was capped with mesh, it would shoot out fire and release burning material. The fire was fed from a foot operated door with the boxes thrown in whole.

For some reason, Cascio did not want the use of empty boxes from stocking shelves for customer groceries but preferred customers to receive brown sacks. He wanted all the boxes to be burned, which created some huge fires.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:09 PM

Kansas City Journal, February 6, 1897.

So much for Glendale being renamed Selsa because of Jesse James train robberies. He was killed in 1882. There must have been a lot of robberies committed by other gangs in the 1890s to cause the name change.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:26 PM

Kansas City Times, April 15, 1960.

I have posted of this before but I was there for the event and recall we waited a long time for the train to appear. The train stopped at the Selsa station. Later vandals burned it down.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 PM

Kansas City Times August 25, 1972. The current square mileage of independence is 78 square. Under this proposal, the square mileage would have been 144. Most of the area above Highway 24 did not come into the city limits.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:

Kansas City Times August 25, 1972. The current square mileage of independence is 78 square. Under this proposal, the square mileage would have been 144. Most of the area above Highway 24 did not come into the city limits.
There was much opposition from residents of the subdivisions north of US 24, such as Farview North and Salem East. Many of them had moved to those areas because they did not want to be within the city limits. Parcel A was dropped from the plans completely, and Parcel B was scaled down with a northern limit along the north ROW for US 24.

At the time these annexations were proposed there was a change in state law looming. Independence rushed the vote on these annexations ahead of the change, with staggered effective dates for the annexations. By getting the vote under the old law the residents of the proposed annexation areas did not get to vote. Under the new law they would have, and would likely have rejected annexation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City